“A wonderful night in cooperstown!”

Nicoletta's Italian Cafe
Ranked #3 of 60 Restaurants in Cooperstown
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
A TripAdvisor Member
“A wonderful night in cooperstown!”
Reviewed April 16, 2005

This week my family and myself decided to take a short trip to cooperstown. We asked a Clerk at one of the local baseball memorabilia shops where to eat. She recomended a small Italian Cafe on Main Street called Nicoletta's. We enjoyed our meal so much Thursday that we came back again on Friday. The Calamari is as good as you can find back home (Boston). My wife had the Filet Mignon which in her opinion was the best she has ever had. I had the Salmon which was also cooked to perfection. They were very accomadating to our picky children who are hard to take out to nice restaurants because of their finicky eating habbits. If we ever come back to cooperstown again we will make sure to try Nicoletta's again. Their Italian Cuisine measures up to some of the best in Boston and our Waitress was delightful!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Randolph, NJ
“Okay, but some problems”
Reviewed April 13, 2005

In Cooperstown for a brief visit, I was walking along Main street early in the evening, feeling hungry, when I happened across a pretty young woman clad in a long white apron vigorously sweeping the sidewalk in front of Nicoletta's. She grinned sheepishly as if to apologize for the thick cloud of dust kicked up by her broom. Not wanting her to think I minded, I asked her how the food was inside. She said it was the best in town. I decided to give it a try.

It was still early, so I had the place pretty much to myself, and was seated at what I thought was the best table in the house -- right behind the front window where I could watch the parade of tourists and sightseers wandering by (when one dines alone, somewhere to plant one's gaze while waiting for the food is welcome). The rest of the surprisingly large, dimly lighted dining room was nicely appointed, with well-spaced tables covered in crisp, white linen, a softly gleaming hardwood floor, and a high, pressed-tin ceiling.

The menu was typical of a small-town Italian restaurant -- spaghetti and meatballs, sausage and peppers, and the usual chicken and veal dishes. There were several specials of the day, which my earnest, attentive waiter recited without mentioning the prices (rather steep as it turned out). One of them, grilled pork loin accompanied by penne pasta in a roasted red pepper and cream sauce, sounded more interesting than the posted fare, so that's what I ordered, with a small caeser salad to start.

The salad was somewhat disappointing. The romaine lettuce was fresh, cold, and crisp, and the dressing was appropriately creamy and assertively flavored, but it was marred by an excess of inferior (think Kraft) parmesan cheese sprinkled over the top and some best pushed-to-the-side croutons, which while possibly homemade, had the disagreeable acrid taste of scorched garlic.

The pork was good – two thick slices of the loin, nicely grilled, moist and tender, with a slight acidic zing of vinegar (or maybe it was lemon) to liven up the taste. The pasta was well-cooked – firm, not mushy. The red pepper and cream sauce, however, had two problems: First, it was underseasoned. In fact, it didn’t have much flavor at all, just the unctuous heaviness of the cream weighing down every bite. Second, there was too much of it, thickly coating the pasta and clumping on the bottom of the plate. Overall it was too rich and heavy a dish for my taste.

I’m a sucker for chocolate mousse cake, and the piece I ordered for dessert was an unusually elaborate example of that restaurant standard. It had a chocolate crumb crust, topped with layers of chocolate fudge, chocolate mousse, chocolate cake, chocolate frosting, and finally, as if all that weren’t enough, by an encrustment of mini chocolate chips. It was … sweet.

I might return to Nicoletta’s the next time I’m in Cooperstown, but not before checking out some of the many other restaurants in the village. Best food in town? I’m skeptical.

7 Thank WTW10
New England
“Nicoletta's = Buon Appetito!”
Reviewed November 20, 2004

Trying to impress two hungry Italians who have had their share of great meals on both Arthur Avenue and Mulberry Street is a formidable task. Nicoletta's came through in fine fashion. Warm garlic bread brought to the table to accompany a generous house salad with balsamic vinaigrette made for a delicious appetizer. Then, a large portion of garlic sauteed shrimp and veal with capers, sun-dried tomatoes, asparagus and broccoli over angel hair pasta made for a fantastic taste sensation. Want to substitute penne for the angel hair? No problem! Even their house Cabernet Sauvignon was right on the money. There was no room left for dessert. Oh, and did I mention the garlic? Mmmm-Mmmm Good!!

6 Thank jldelia
Medina, Ohio
“Greatest food and service out there!”
Reviewed November 6, 2004

Looking for romance, a good meal, excellent food, great service? This is the restaraunt for you! Perfect for a special occassion or just a relaxing night out! No disappointments here! Enjoy the atmosphere, friendly, knowledgable waiters and very reasonable very excellent foods and prices! Don't pass this one by!!

1 Thank amygregw
Cooperstown, NY
“Best Restaurant in Town”
Reviewed October 13, 2004

When guests from our B&B ask for our recommendations for dinner, we always place Nicoletta's at the top of our list. We dine there regularly ourselves, and when personal friends come to visit, we always head to Nicolettas. The menu is imaginative, with something for everyone's taste. The prices are competitive, and the service is very good, even on busy week-ends. If they stay at Daylily Dreams B&B, you will usually find them at Nicolettas for dinner.