“Food was ok. *CAUTION* automatic 15% tip added on buffet.”
Review of Pepper Mill - CLOSED

Pepper Mill
Cuisines: Barbecue, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Hand-cut Steaks and Homestyle Entrees.
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The people were pleasant and the food was fine - mostly. The stroganoff was very good. The prime rib was ok. The popcorn shrimp was mushy. The salad bar was decent, but the cold salads weren't good.
We could've done without the large screen televisions on around the room - it's not a sports bar, it's a restaurant - but at least they kept the volume down.
I was annoyed at the end to find that there was a 15% gratuity added to our bill.
The young woman who served us did 3 things: she seated us, she brought us 1 water and 2 diet cokes (1 refill for my husband), and she took plates from the table once. We had to wait quite a while for our check, and even then had to go to the hostess stand, wait, and then ask another server for it as ours was nowhere to be found. There was only one other table of customers in the dining room!
It wasn't noted anywhere that there would be an automatic gratuity. I asked about leaving a tip on my card and she actually said to me, "Oh, the tip is on there already. We do that on the buffet side because some people only like to leave 10%."
Excuse me?! Although I planned to leave 10%, her service wasn't worth it, and if they know they're getting an automatic 15% why should they bother to actually serve?
We're locals, not tourists - we won't go back and wouldn't recommend it.

1  Thank mepreckel

Reviewed July 7, 2013

The restaurant looks old and it smells like a basement, but the food was very good. We all ordered steaks (Sirloin and NY) and every one in our party was satisfied.
The have a fresh salad bar with several options, and the service was excellent.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Had dinner here on a Monday night, place was pretty quiet. As we were being seated there was a party of 20-25 people coming in as well; all through dinner you never would have known, it was fantastic. The salad bar was great, everything was fresh, my husband had the buffet and was pleased there was something for everyone! I had the shrimp scampi and it was very good, the shrimp were cooked perfectly; it was a very large portion so I ended up taking most of it home! Three words: Strawberry Mango Moscato!!! So good! Flourless chocolate cake was also great! Our server was John, very nice, checked on us frequently and was great! This place definitely deserves your business if you're looking for a great meal at a great price! :)

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We had the buffet, with really good food. The salmon was lovely, the prime rib rare enough for me. My husband had the chicken and he said it was very good. My only complaint-the salad bat had canned fruit. Fresh fruit in the summer is what should be there.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

My husband and I were visiting Cooperstown this summer, and had the good fortune to dine at The Pepper Mill at the edge of town. We didn't realize that many restaurants' kitchens closed at 8:00 p.m. on weekdays, and so we called to find out how late they'd be serving. Greg, the manager, said he would hold the kitchen open for us if we were nearby. Everyone was so kind! Our waitress, Bri, made sure that we had all our options for dinner, including the salad bar (which was VERY good), and that our steaks were made to order. The food was extremely tasty--the steaks were tender and perfectly done, and the portions were generous. The Pepper Mill is an excellent option for hearty comfort food in a welcoming atmosphere.