“Good value for cooperstown.”
Review of Lake View Motel

Lake View Motel
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Cooperstown
Yank4
“Good value for cooperstown.”
Reviewed June 1, 2009

No surprises good or bad. We got a decent clean double room (room #2) and respectable polite service. You pay the same premium for a room in this town that you do in all North-Eastern tourist towns. about a 10 minute (scenic) drive into Cooperstown. 2 soda , machines, 1 snack machine and an ice machine are the only sustanance available. The hotel has a nice little deck with a few lounge chairs and a pic-nic table overlooking the lake, but you must cross a semi-busy road to reach it.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
New Jersey
Reviewed March 17, 2009

The room smelled musty. The rooms need to be redone. staff was rude The best thing about this place was the outside, it did have a good view of the lake.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bigbillNewJersey
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 3, 2008

Funky resort -- probably 40s vintage with hard beds and beaten down decor. It is fun in a sort of unintended retro way with a very nice lake across the road -- but over-priced for what you get. Then again, overpriced is part of the Cooperstown experience

• Liked — Lake
  • Disliked — Hard bed
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
New YOrk
Reviewed August 4, 2008

Do not give this motel staff your credit card number. I have stayed at many hotels and motels. They take your credit card # to reserve the room but do not charge you until the day you arrive. The Lake View actually charged our card almost three weeks prior to our stay.

We were informed that we would receive a full refund as long as we gave seven days notice. Do not believe this!!!

Upon receiving a confirmation which stated there was a cancellation fee, I immediately contacted the motel to inform them that I was specifically told that there was no fee. They ignored me.

I cancelled the two rooms I reserved (with more than seven days notice) and was charged a $20 cancellation fee that I never agreed to. I will fight to get my money back but I am annoyed at this inconvenience.

We just came back from Cooperstown. My boys loved the Baseball Hall of Fame. Stay at the Mohican Motel, it is much more convenient to the Hall of Fame. You can walk or catch the trolley right outside the Motel.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — My credit card account was charged prior to my stay and my refund was not accurate.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Tennis10s
new jersey
Reviewed July 31, 2008

We arrived on Friday of HOF induction weekend only to find out that the hotel thought that our internet reservation had been canceled months ago (apparently the internet site messed up and the hotel was completely reserved by ESPN staff). Luckily they had a cancellation and the manager, Tammy honored our reservation and gave us a room at our original rate (a lifesaver considering that there were no rooms to be had for 40 miles!). They gave us a lovely room in the newer building "on the hill" overlooking the lake. What a spectacular location and view! We had a large lawn and lounge chairs directly in front of our room and a large window overlooking the lake. The kids enjoyed swimming in the lake, which is crystal clear. The room was spotlessly clean. We had two queen beds, though the beds were not firm enough for me and so very uncomfortable. The motel is about 2-3 miles away from the park and ride lot for the trolley into town (which taked about 5 - 10 minutes and costs $3 per person per day). The staff are friendly and accomodating. Thank goodness for Tammy, the manager who worked with us to make our weekend a success rather than a disaster.

• Liked — lake view and great location, friendly staff
  • Disliked — although our room was bew, most rooms are not
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Hackensack
Reviewed July 2, 2008

We stayed at the Lakeview Motel for two nights while visiting Cooperstown. The room was clean and well maintained but the shower leaked all over the bathroom.

There were 6 of us and we were a little crowed in the room, but we spent most of our time outside. Yes, you have to cross the street to get to the beach area, but there were hardly any cars the weekend we stayed. We were able to fish off the dock (the office sells bait), swim, use the paddle boat and grill dinner on the charcoal grills.

The housekeeping staff was very pleseant.

It only took about 5 minutes to get to the center of town and it was nice to relax at the beautiful lake each night.

• Liked — Ostego Lake
  • Disliked — Leaking Shower
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
west newbury, ma
Reviewed June 26, 2008

This was one of the worst places I have ever stayed. They told me they were 10 minutes from Cooperstown Dreams Park and it turned out to be 11 miles and 25 minutes. My daughter and I were both bitten by something and after it stopeed itching 4 days later we have a bruise and a bump. In the morning we looked at the sheets that I thought were cream colored - but were in fact stained heavily with what I could only hope was urine and nothing worse. My daughters and myself woke with eyes swollen from allergies. The manager was a very nsty woman and I had to fight hard to get most of my money back so that I could stay at the local Howard Johnson's and stay for my sons baseball games. Also the beach is accross a busy road and I was staying with 3 small children. When you get there they have you sign a paper saying that you will not go to the lake with any less than 2 adults. Horrible Horible. If this is the only place you can stay do yourself a favor and saty home!!!

• Liked — When I checked out the following morning
  • Disliked — whatever bit me and my daughter
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank busymom97
lakeviewmotel, Manager at Lake View Motel, responded to this review, February 27, 2009
The Lake View Motel management and staff take great pride in the services and care we provide to our guests. This is one of the rare instances where the guest was not happy before she walked in. Each reservation taken is thoroughly explained and this includes the distance from the village of Cooperstown, (10 minutes and Cooperstown Dreamspark, 20 minutes). Unfortunately there must have been a miscommunication as it relates to this particular guest.
Our seasoned housekeepers clean the rooms thoroughly on a daily basis. We are located out on beautiful Lake Otsego surrounded by the beauty of nature, with trees, animals and a little creek beside the motel. People who are highly allergic to grass, trees, etc. may have some difficulties with our surroundings but all rooms have air conditioners, so any allergies previously mentioned should be minimized by the climate controlled environment. All rooms receive routine pesticide applications by a professional service. Hence, we do not have and never have had insect/bug problems.
I vividly remember the encounter with this individual. Upon arrival she entered the office and was extremely agitated and would not listen to anything I tried to convey. I remained calm while she was extremely loud and rude. Regardless of the information given, her intent was to leave and cancel the balance of her stay. In an effort to calm her down I agreed to charge her the standard cancellation fee and refund the balance of her remaining stay.
Just minutes before another guest had just checked out stating “what a great place, they enjoyed there stay and would recommend Lake View Motel to all their friends and Family”. The Lake View Motel works hard to make everyone’s stay memorable and pleasant.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cooperstown
Lake Front Hotel
#5 of 16 in Cooperstown
Lake N Pines Motel
Lake N Pines Motel
#12 of 16 in Cooperstown

Been to Lake View Motel? Share your experiences!