“Great getaway”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Cooperstown
connecticut
“Great getaway”
Reviewed May 15, 2008

After reading the previous reviews I was a bit apprehensive about spending the weekend at the Otesaga Hotel. My mother and I were staying there for mother's day weekend and wanted a relaxing, quiet getaway.
I will address the positives first:
I am not sure if there is a change in management since the last reviews, however we found the dining room staff very friendly and accommodating. They went out of their way to make sure we had what we wanted. The food was outstanding.
The front desk informed us, after we inquired, that we would not need dinner or mother's day brunch reservations since we were in-house quests. However, when we arrived at the dining room we were informed that was not the case. The man in charge for those days worked to make sure we would have reservations and did so without making us feel bad. He went out of his way to help us.
As others have stated, the grounds are beautiful and well maintained. Our room was on the third floor and over-looked the lake. The room was very clean. Each night our beds were turned down and chocolates were left on the pillows.
My only complaint would be with reservations/front desk. They had us down for the wrong nights and as stated above were not informed regarding the dining room policy.
Also, this is small, but part of the mother's day package was chocolate covered strawberries, a gift, and a wine voucher for dinner upon arrival. We had to call and ask for these which was a bit embarrassing.
Otherwise.....great place to stay for a guiet weekend.
With the exception of the front desk...the staff was very friendly.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Front desk
  • Stayed May 2008
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
sag harbor, ny
Reviewed December 27, 2007

After reading several of the other reviews, we were hesitant to stay at the Otesaga, but Cooperstown was a destination for us (the Baseball Hall of Fame - my son is a huge Red Sox fan) and frankly the Otesaga is the only large hotel in town so we thought we'd give it a try. It was nice, but... as an destination hotel, they really need to work on their people skills.

We went Friday and Sat of Thanksgiving weekend (after spending 2 nights at the Sagamore Hotel in Lake George which I must say knows how to run a large hotel..) the Otesaga seemed like a reasonable choice. Well... after the Sagamore and it's employees that geninuely care for you and take care of you (i will write a review of the Sagamore later) the Otesaga was a disappointment.

The room was nice - 2 double beds and a couch - spacious enough for my husband and I and the 2 kids, nice bathroom and very clean. The housekeepling staff was great as well. The main bellman was helpful, but frankly the front desk was totally overwhelmed and the dining staff was hit or miss and the resident children's entertainer "chuckles the clown" was downright spooky.

The dining room policy is a total snotty mess. There is no option not to be part of the dining policy and the weekend we were there was out of control. Apparently they were closing after sunday night for the winter (something they didn't tell you, but after chatting w/ some of the staff I discovered they were all depressed about getting "pink slips".)

My husband went down our first morning there to scope out the coffee/breakfast situation and came back with the report - "It's like the Marriott at Times Square down there!" The place was total chaos with kids, parents etc...

Back to the dining policy. Every male must wear a jacket - regardless of their age. Hmmm... this was a problem for my 10 year old, but they let us slide as he had a shirt with a collar and he tucked it in. This policy is fine if the dining room food warrants it (the food was ok ) and if the staff is trained (which some were but most were of the "who gets the mushroom soup" variety). If you expect us to dress, (and not give us a choice - the Hawkeye Grill was totally discouraged, but had much better service...) then you'd better train your staff as well. Staff in sneakers auctioning food doesn't cut in in my book. The menu was nice, but it was totally bizarre ( throwback to male dominated education?) that they would have a kids menu titled "Little Gentlemen" but not one for the young ladies?

The bottom line is - this place is a great old building in great condition but has serious staff issues. Whoever is running this place needs to get out of Cooperstown and check out other great hotels - We have stayed at many great old hotels - the Copley Plaza in Boston, The Sagamore, the Fairmont in San Francisco and Scottsdale, Az, etc and we have never been treated nor witnessed bizarre policies like we did at the Otesaga. Maybe it's because it's the only game in town in a destination city,, but please. Get with the modern program! If I was to go back I would definitely look into another hotel. Yes the location is the best in town, but ...

Hopefully they will take the winter to regroup...

• Liked — it's location
  • Disliked — the dining policy
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank ruthanne17
New York
Reviewed November 18, 2007

I attended a conference at the Otesaga. There is no doubt that the hotel is quite grand and very beautiful but the one thing that troubled me during my visit was how horribly cold the entire hotel was. Regardless of what floor we were on, it was down right frigid! Staff and guests alike were rubbing their hands together and blowing in them in an attempt to stay warm. A large fire was roaring in the hotel lobby but this did little for the windows which were not insulated and the large front doors that were constantly opening and closing. During my conference I had to wear my winter coat regardless of the room I was in. I did eat a wonderful lunch at the hotel and the food was out of this world. Many wonderfully fresh choices and a delicious dessert buffet! I noticed a waiter taking a cart of hot chocolate chip cookies, chocolate covered strawberries and truffles along with a carafe of milk up to one of the rooms and it looked simply divine. If staying at the hotel in winter months, I would highly recommend bringing along heavier clothing that you could layer--many people complained of the temperature but it did little to improve the situation.

• Liked — Location, view, food
  • Disliked — Building temperature
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank kym72
Upstate NY
Reviewed September 26, 2007

My visit to the Otesaga was part of a business trip. At that time there were a total of three organizations listed as having functions in the Hotel. The grounds were absolutely beautiful and the location perfect if you like walking a short distance to town.

The lake is stunning, the pool was kept clean and the rooms are very nice considering this is not a modern hotel. Mine was a bit small but the bathroom proved adequate. Linens are top shelf and housekeeping staff proved to be friendliest of the assorted groups of employees.

There is a definite need for improved customer skills among employees throughout the place. The dining room proved to be the worst in that respect. We did encounter one young waitress who went above and beyond the rest of the group but for the most part they were rude and pushy. As for requiring jackets during dinner, they need to ensure the temperature in the dining facility is conducive to wearing a jacket, or remove that restriction.

Relative to the dining experience, I totally agree with the other reviewer's suggestion to purchase a package without meals if possible. The breakfast buffet is fantastic, worth the cost and includes a special order section with pancakes, waffles and omelets but lunch and dinner are quite average. It would be nice to dine out for more variety, less cost and more flexible hours. The dining room is very large yet all three groups hosting events at the hotel were crammed into too few tables while half the room's tables were left empty, further detracting from the dining experience.

I did not notice any youngsters at the hotel but based upon my experience and observations, I would not attempt to bring any there unless they happen to be "Stepford" children.

To sum it all up, this place has the potential to be five star and in reality is almost there. Since cleanliness is at the top of my list when traveling, I certainly would consider staying here again as they rate a five in that area. No doubt the positives outweigh the negatives.

• Liked — Clean with great view of the lake.
  • Disliked — Service and dining
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
6 Thank Enos
Ringoes, NJ
Reviewed August 13, 2007

Our weekend at the Otesaga was a bit on the disappointing side, from the viewpoint of value for the dollar, as well as some service issues. The property's lakeside location was stunning, as well as convenient to downtown Cooperstown, if you are interested in baseball. (We were there for a soccer tournament.) It's really the only place to stay in the area that's on the upscale side, so it was our only choice. It's a beautiful grand old hotel, and we were hoping to encounter matching service, befitting the place.

We were greeted by a quiet front desk clerk who offered no welcome or information on the hotel. The room was adequate for an older establishment, with a comfortable bed and clean spacious bathroom, although the bellman didn't offer any welcoming information either.

We enjoyed the grounds, which were beautiful. They had a nice pool (although noisy with kids) but access to it was in a roundabout way. You had to trudge through a bog in the grass with no sidewalk. They offered fishing poles and canoes for guest use, which was nice. We were disappointed to find that even though a canoe was available, the lifeguard wouldn't let us take it because they "were out of lifejackets." No attempt was made to find any for us, nor was an apology given.

This was a common theme around the place . . . no one seemed to want to go out of their way for the guests. Their basic service was their best. They really could fine tune the service aspect, from the bellstaff (who halfheartedly greeted us as we arrived by car), to the front desk, to the concierge to the waitstaff. Everyone was about the same with basic service, nothing extraordinary or special.

The resort only offered rooms with food plans, although I seemed to recall someone else's review on this site that mentioned they were able to get away with breakfast only. I asked via email several times if we could limit the meals on the plan and they flat out refused, telling me I must have read it wrong on Trip Advisor.

The meals were ok, but the timing could have been better. If you entered the dining room at 9:55 (breakfast was over at 10), you had better be prepared to eat fast, as they were actually rushing us out of there by 10:20. Same thing with dinner - you had to be there before 8:30 p.m.!! I thought that was ridiculuous, especially for the money they charged! They offered coffee and danish in the lobby in the morning, but this was hit-or-miss. Most mornings the danish weren't even there.

We wanted to order a few appetizers for dinner one night at the Hawkeye (the more casual restaurant), as we weren't in the mood for a big dinner. They actually only allowed us to have 2 and then charged us for the other 2 or 3 because "only 2 are allowed with dinner." We didn't even have an entree!! They need more flexibility.

Oh, and bring along the bug spray as the flies are everywhere. I guess that was an offshoot of the lake.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank edm08551
Philadelphia
Reviewed June 19, 2007

We just came back from the Otesaga (stayed June 16th) as a Father's Day present for my husband. What a relaxing place! We arrived early, they checked us in, and gave us a room upgrade (2 bedroom). We have 3 children and the additional space was nice. The service was terrific and everyone was so pleasant. We did not select the dinner/breakfast package and choose just the breakfast package. We sat outside on the veranda overlooking the lake in the morning. The breakfast was amazing. There is a pool on the grounds (which overlooks the beautiful lake). We plan to make the Otesaga a Fathers Day tradition! Overall, service was top-notch!

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank CMSKAK
New York City
Reviewed June 5, 2007

We spent four days in May 2007 at the Otesaga Resort as part of a group of vintage car drivers. The Otesaga is in a wonderful setting at the south end of Otsego Lake. The rooms are comfortable though not huge. The bed was very good and excellent toiletries were provided. The staff was unfailingly courteous and helpful. Unfortunately we were not able to obtain a lake view room. Ours was on the third floor overlooking the entrance. Noise was not a problem, but the lights for the entrance portico are very bright and consequently one had to have the room's shade down at night. The reception tried to find a different room for us, but the hotel was fully booked. Others in our group reported dissatisfaction with rooms on the fourth floor.

The hotel dining room and grill room both served acceptable, though not outstanding food, with the exception of breakfast which was excellent. The wine list is fairly limited.

The hotel offers various dining plans. I would recommend taking a plan that only includes breakfast. We found some interesting restaurants in Cooperstown.

Cooperstown is very interesting to visit, whether or not you are a baseball fan. There is much to do beyond the baseball Hall of Fame, especially in the summer when the Glimmerglass Opera is performing. The countrside around Cooperstown is gorgeous.

We had a satisfactory experience and will certainly return, though only when we can get a lake view room.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank Reiver2000
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cooperstown
Holiday Inn Express Cooperstown
#5 of 16 in Cooperstown
Landmark Inn
Landmark Inn
#1 of 29 in Cooperstown

Been to The Otesaga Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!