“Classic, grand Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Cooperstown
NY
“Classic, grand Hotel”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

While not in the Adirondacks, this hotel is everything you imagine of a grand Adirondack property. Fantastic views, right on the lake. Impecable & friendly service.

I might be slightly bias as I'm an addicted golfer and the Leatherstocking course is equally impressive. Excellent greens, great hole variety and challenging finishing hole right over water. What could be better to have an excellent breakfast in the grand dining room and then walk across the parking lot to the golf course.

Yes, the rooms are a bit small (we had two queens) and the prices are not necessarily a bargain (although it does include a very well stocked breakfast with cook to order omelets and waffles). We upgraded for $25 for a lakeside view (rm 420) and just had a small window to an angled view to the lake. If you step back and look at the room, it's actually pretty good sized (with very high ceilings). It's just the small window that makes the room feel small.

I'd stay here again. We don't come to Cooperstown that often and it was a nice splurge.

Room Tip: The elevators are slow, so if you're the impatient type, ask for a lower floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ChooChoo4427

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Lake George, New York
Reviewed March 17, 2013

After staying at Sagamore, Woodstock inn and Equinox looked forward to the great looking historic hotel.service throughout was great, but room was tiny and remaining amenities lacking for this class of a resort. Dining choices and quality was average. A little old and worn throughout,but great views from the porch.
Enjoyed the pool but attendants were reading a book, "fooling around" and never came by to offer service except when we went over to them. For the price we expected more put of this great looking property.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Robert B
Glens Falls, New York
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Every stay I have had at this beautiful hotel has been fabulous. The views are spectacular, the staff incredibly accommodating, and the food delicious. As a guest I felt like I had entered another time period in which I could really relax and enjoy myself. Great venue for a wedding or a conference, or just a weekend get-away!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Beth580
PA & FLA
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We went to the Otesaga during the summer (baseball season) . First off, a more beautiful view from the porch of an older, grande style hotel would be hard to find. One could sit there for hours taking it all in...and we did that!

But...I cannot figure out why our room was so very nasty...when was the last time you checked into a hotel room with a single and a double bed??? We are 3 large people.. this was so innapropriate for us. so we had no quality sleep either! also the rooms were in dire need of a refit, in my opinion. I did not mention, The room which we were originally assigned to was like a matchbox!

The carpets were pretty inexpensive and somewhat worn down in the halls as well as the rooms..not what I was expecting. The linens were nothing to write home about either.

None of the meals which we consumed were exceptional, either. BUT....they encouraged all to wear nighttime attire, and went as far as having a selection of men's blue blazers in the lobby gift shop.

If one would check out my other reviews, it would be evident that I'm pretty well traveled, fancy as well as roadside hotels, all price ranges. For the life of me I cannot understand the glowing reviews of this hotel..Because the view was so fantastic i gave it 3 stars. otherwise it would have been something less...

I should also mention that the bill I paid for the 3 night stay was totally out of line for what we got. Waaaaay overpriced! Actually, in my wife's words..absurd!

Yet I read these amazing reviews from others and I just do not understand what happened!!

We go to Cooperstown quite often and usually stay in roadside hotels on the outskirts of town, but always wondered what staying at this hotel was like.. Those places have been much more "as represented" and acceptable than the Otesaga. We will continue that practice now that our curiosity has been satisfied.

Room Tip: We did not find any
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank _RichieT_Pa_Fla
Delmar, New York
Reviewed January 25, 2013

This is a beautiful, historic hotel in the heart of Cooperstown. The location is within walking distance of downtown and the Baseball Hall of Fame. The room was spotless and beautifully appointed. The breakfast buffet provided with the room was remarkable. Service was flawless. I felt pampered. We traveled with a three year old and the hotel gave us a list of sitters. the sitter we hired was wonderful, very responsible and seemed to love children. We used the free wifi. We had a wonderful time and cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Grandma127
Skaneateles, New York
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I had the fortunate opportunity to stay at Otesaga on a business conference several years ago and we had the entire resort to ourselves as it was late winter/early spring before the resort opened to the public. We had a fantastic time and I returned with my family later that year for a weekend getaway. This is a grand, old-style hotel that is immaculate and pays attention to details. The rooms are beautiful as is the lobby and porches...walk to the Hall of Fame and downtown...it has all the special touches a nice hotel should provide...I now really hate "chain" hotels!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lakeeffectfamily
Long Island, New York
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Spent the Thanksgiving holiday here with family. We had a lovely time. I can't remember staying at a hotel with such wonderful service. Beautiful historical hotel. Enjoyed our meals there. The hotel plans a very nice Thanksgiving Weekend package.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank DDDBS5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cooperstown
Holiday Inn Express Cooperstown
#5 of 16 in Cooperstown
Landmark Inn
Landmark Inn
#1 of 29 in Cooperstown

Been to The Otesaga Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!