“Don't order the Cappuchino!”

and 1 more site!
The Otesaga Resort Hotel
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Cooperstown
Reviewed August 23, 2011

We just stopped by the Otesaga for an afternoon drink on the Veranda overlooking the lake. Ordered the Cappuchino and boy was it disappointing! It was burnt tasting and almost undrinkable. When the waitress, who was terribly inexperienced, asked how everything was and we tald her about the cappuchino, her reaction was extremely surprising. She said something like, "oh, yes, everyone i have served cappuchino to in the past has said the same thing." Hmmmm. Very weird! Wouldn't you think you would tell the customer as they were ordering it, that perhaps they would enjoy something else? Then the bill came and we were still charged for the drink! This is not really what we expected from the lovely Otesaga, where we have visited many times before.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank newyorker79

Reviewed August 19, 2011

The Otesaga is a lovely old hotel. The rooms are comfortable and of good size. We spent a week there and did not feel cramped. Everything about the hotel was great - the staff was invariably pleasant and helpful. The hotel is quiet. Beakfast was available on the veranda overlooking the lake and afternoon tea was served daily. It is located within walking distance of town.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Lisa446
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We stayed here for the 3rd time in about 6 years. It's a lovely old hotel (celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2009) on Lake Oswego. Perfect for those who like a relaxing stay in a refined environment, with "jacket required" dining old-world charm in the lovely main dining room. Leatherstocking Golf Course also on premises. Cooperstown is a quaint town with 3 museums including the Baseball Hall of Fame; seeing one museum per day still leaves time to relax at the hotel pool, golf course, or veranda. Also the Glimmerglass Opera is nearby with a variety of musical offerings.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank slw68
Reviewed August 15, 2011

My business stay at The Otesaga was pleasant, but the resort is a bit too formal for the comfort of a single traveler. To start with the positives, the location is nice and convenient (5-10 minute walk) to downtown Cooperstown where the baseball HOF resides along with many nice restaurants and shops. There are beautiful views of Otesaga Lake from the resort's grand porches furnished with wooden rocking chairs. My room was very spacious and clean and the daily room service was fantastic. The staff I interacted with were friendly and knowledgable. Parking is free and close to the downstairs entrance to the resort. Breakfast each morning was wonderful with variety of options from yogurt and fresh fruit to waffles and omelets. The meeting facilities were roomy and accomodated current technology, but the wifi (meeting space and room) was somewhat slower compared to other locations.

I consider the resort a bit too formal because I has to be seated alone in the main restaurant to eat. I started at the bar and ordered a local microbrew and asked for a menu. I was informed by the bartender (perhaps the only less than friendly person I met during my stay) that I was not permitted to eat at the bar. This is the first time I experienced this! So I finished my beer and proceeded to the outside seating area and had my thoughts and my smart phone to keep me company. It is much more comfortable to eat at the bar when travelling alone. This resort features a dining plan where your meals are included in the room rate. The absurd thing is I had to pay an additional fee just for sitting at their restaurant.

All in all I had a pleasant stay, but it would have been nicer had I travelled with my wife to better enjoy my dining experience or walked into town and experienced on of the many small restaurants right along the main street.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank 60HzMW
Reviewed August 6, 2011

For $640 we had a room overlooking parking lot with small bed (not king size. Old bathroom. Terrible device and food was substandard

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank Shippansusie
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My sisters and I were looking for someplace special to celebrate our Mom's birthday. The Otesaga met out initial requirements: conveniently located for Mom, with activities available in the area. We were very pleased with our choice. The staff is well trained. They understand it's their business to make sure you're having a good time. Our room was comfortable, clean and nicely decorated. The air conditioning worked well, and we had no problems with water not draining out of the tub. The hair dryer was substandard. A stay at the Otesaga isn't cheap, but the rate includes breakfast and dinner. The food was very good; the waitstaff was outstanding. Although this was a perfect location for us, it wouldn't be too everyone's liking. (Men and boys over 12 must wear jackets for dinner; if you don't want to dress up, this isn't the place for you.) We enjoyed relaxing on the famous porch after dinner, looking out over the lake and the 18th green. I don't think it would have been so enjoyable if I had children or teenagers with me.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank lakestar
Reviewed July 23, 2011

We loved our stay at the Otesaga Hotel. We wanted to savor every minute relaxing by the pool, playing golf, swimming in the beautiful lake and relaxing on the veranda.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Ginger759
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cooperstown
The Inn at Cooperstown
Lake Front Hotel
#8 of 16 in Cooperstown
Best Western Cooperstown Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites Milford/Cooperstown

Been to The Otesaga Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!