“Very nice hotel, but too formal...”

and 1 more site!
The Otesaga Resort Hotel
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Cooperstown
Reviewed August 15, 2011

My business stay at The Otesaga was pleasant, but the resort is a bit too formal for the comfort of a single traveler. To start with the positives, the location is nice and convenient (5-10 minute walk) to downtown Cooperstown where the baseball HOF resides along with many nice restaurants and shops. There are beautiful views of Otesaga Lake from the resort's grand porches furnished with wooden rocking chairs. My room was very spacious and clean and the daily room service was fantastic. The staff I interacted with were friendly and knowledgable. Parking is free and close to the downstairs entrance to the resort. Breakfast each morning was wonderful with variety of options from yogurt and fresh fruit to waffles and omelets. The meeting facilities were roomy and accomodated current technology, but the wifi (meeting space and room) was somewhat slower compared to other locations.

I consider the resort a bit too formal because I has to be seated alone in the main restaurant to eat. I started at the bar and ordered a local microbrew and asked for a menu. I was informed by the bartender (perhaps the only less than friendly person I met during my stay) that I was not permitted to eat at the bar. This is the first time I experienced this! So I finished my beer and proceeded to the outside seating area and had my thoughts and my smart phone to keep me company. It is much more comfortable to eat at the bar when travelling alone. This resort features a dining plan where your meals are included in the room rate. The absurd thing is I had to pay an additional fee just for sitting at their restaurant.

All in all I had a pleasant stay, but it would have been nicer had I travelled with my wife to better enjoy my dining experience or walked into town and experienced on of the many small restaurants right along the main street.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank 60HzMW

Reviewed August 6, 2011

For $640 we had a room overlooking parking lot with small bed (not king size. Old bathroom. Terrible device and food was substandard

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank Shippansusie
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My sisters and I were looking for someplace special to celebrate our Mom's birthday. The Otesaga met out initial requirements: conveniently located for Mom, with activities available in the area. We were very pleased with our choice. The staff is well trained. They understand it's their business to make sure you're having a good time. Our room was comfortable, clean and nicely decorated. The air conditioning worked well, and we had no problems with water not draining out of the tub. The hair dryer was substandard. A stay at the Otesaga isn't cheap, but the rate includes breakfast and dinner. The food was very good; the waitstaff was outstanding. Although this was a perfect location for us, it wouldn't be too everyone's liking. (Men and boys over 12 must wear jackets for dinner; if you don't want to dress up, this isn't the place for you.) We enjoyed relaxing on the famous porch after dinner, looking out over the lake and the 18th green. I don't think it would have been so enjoyable if I had children or teenagers with me.

2  Thank lakestar
Reviewed July 23, 2011

We loved our stay at the Otesaga Hotel. We wanted to savor every minute relaxing by the pool, playing golf, swimming in the beautiful lake and relaxing on the veranda.

1  Thank Ginger759
Reviewed July 17, 2011

The hotel is just beautiful. My family and I went to up to the Otesaga for the Paranormal weekend and we had a ball. The food was delicious, the staff were very nice and pleasant. The rooms were clean and spacious. We met some great people. Plenty of things to do for the kids and the adults. My husband won second prize in the costume party. We since have been up for a one day getaway and are looking forward to going back.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank paulie1722
Reviewed July 4, 2011

The Otesaga is a beautiful property with lovely, large, well-appointed rooms. The staff were outstanding. Gregg the bellman was helpful, cheerful and remembered our names. Tyler, the concierge provided Map Quest directions to a men's clothing store. Patrick, in the dining room provided perfect table arrangements for our large family of 14 adults and 12 children, including an infant. The dinners were delicious served in beautiful presentations. The lake views are exquisite with opportunities for canoeing, water sports and golf. The was a perfect family vacation for us.

7  Thank LaurieAM
Reviewed June 24, 2011

This is an old world hotel that still has great old world atmosphere and charm. Relaxing on the rocking chairs on the porch looking at the lake and the golf course. It is a very special place that tries to balance keeping up with the times yet making you feel like you stepped back a hundred years.
The service was great and very friendly, it is obvious the staff is treated well and they are eager to treat guests even better, from the cleaning crew to the bell boys and waiters. They were all special. The Otesaga offers great elegant dinning with great food.
Even the shop at the hotel had a surprisingly nice selection of resort wear and gifts at very reasonable prices.
Golf lovers would simply love the golf course. We enjoyed it tremendously.
One of the best things about this resort is it being in such a secluded area on the lake yet everything is within walking distance to town with the Baseball hall of fame and more.
I would recommend this hotel for couples and families looking for a special getaway. It is worth the trip to come just for the Otesaga.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank MiddleEasternFoodie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cooperstown
The Inn at Cooperstown
Lake Front Hotel
#9 of 16 in Cooperstown
Best Western Plus Cooperstown Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites Milford/Cooperstown

Been to The Otesaga Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!