“Lovely, quiet, spotless!”
Review of Lake Front Hotel

Lake Front Hotel
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Cooperstown
Reviewed August 8, 2013

My husband and I found this property by accident while visiting the Baseball Hall of Fame. It is a lovely, spotlessly clean, quiet and charming place with amazing views. After 3 hotels in 3 nights on our road trip, this place was heaven. The room was FRESH and CLEAN, the bathroom and carpet were spotless, the sheets were soft and the A/C modern and quiet. Dinner on the property was very good, Ceasar Salad, Citrus Scallop appetizer were yummy, the Seafood au Gratin was fabulous. Wine and drink prices were very reasonable. When we asked for the check, we were surprised by a 10% discount because we were guests at the hotel. The waitstaff was attentive and pleasant. A free "continental" style breakfast is offered, but if you'd like something else they offer you a discount off your purchase. They also gave us a ticket for the boat tour. WiFi worked just fine. We would've loved to stay longer and will gladly stay here again. This is a perfect romantic getaway spot.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Lakefronthotel, Manager at Lake Front Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us. Our staff all work extremely hard to ensure that our guests have an enjoyable stay in Cooperstown with a clean comfortable room. It is nice to pass along to our staff that their hard work in appreciated. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

My family and friends have been going to Cooperstown for the Basball Hall of Fame inductions for 11 years. We have stayed in the village for most of those visits. Staying at the Lake Front has been our best experience. They are located in the perfect spot two blocks from the Hall, they have a very friendly staff, and the Hotel itself is excellent being very fresh and new. I am looking forward to staying at the Lake Front Hotel for the eternity of my visits during HOF weekend.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed your last few years staying with us over Induction Weekend. The weekend is nothing but spectacular here in Cooperstown and guests comments like yours make every second worth all the hard work it takes to provide our guest a memorable and pleasurable stay. We look forward to seeing you next year and thank you for taking time out of your day to make your experience with us known.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Our extended family rented several rooms here in mid July. I had heard that the motel was renovated and expected it to be better than it was for the price we paid (mid 200s per night). The breakfast was included, but the choices offered were so limited that most of the people in our group were charged extra, and the bills came to 7 or 8 dollars p.p. plus tip. So much for the free breakfasts. I must say that the dining room is sunny and cheerful, and the service is good. Our room was not as nice as the Hampton Inns we frequent when we are "on the road". They are better and less than half the price. However, I realize that the season is short and the location of this hotel is excellent for walking to town and also seeing the lake. But many of the rooms don't face the lake. I want to warn anyone booking not to request 2 double beds, because we did just that, and ended up in room 42, which was located in an inside corner. It was dark even when the sun was shining. My daughter's room was so much better, as it not only had a water view, but got morning sun. And the price was not much more, if at all. It had 2 beds also, but they were queens. We were disappointed not to be in the same building as the rest of our family, since we had requested proximity to each other when we booked months in advance. We should have been notified that in order to be together we needed to request a different bed arrangement. Another problem was the odd mattresses. I guess they had some kind of feather toppings. The pillows felt like they were filled with feathers also. My husband didn't sleep well at all, and I got up with a back ache both nights.

Room Tip: Avoid room 42.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

I’m sorry to hear that you did not find your stay with us to be as good as you expected. We all work very hard to ensure that guest are happy during their stay and that if there are any issues that are brought to our attention that they are taken care of immediately as would your issues had they been brought to our attention.
In regards to the room locations we do have various room types which include our standard rooms with partial views and lake-side rooms. The prices reflect the different room types and locations. We are not deceptive with room descriptions and our rooms are all listed and pictured on our website. It is often times impossible to get everyone together when they book reservations separately and with different room types. Our property however is not that large that guests are that far apart and there are many areas that guests can sit down or congregate as a group while enjoying the wonderful view, on the foot of Otsego Lake.
I am very shocked to hear that we are over-priced. I’m sure that you and visitors coming to Cooperstown research the area and if they do will realize that our rates are very competitive given our location and what is offered. The big named, chain hotels, outside of town have starting rates higher than our highest rate. Cooperstown being a resort area can be expensive but we feel that our location and amenities are a great value at a fair price.
To address the issue with breakfast, guest are limited in their choices but are offered a good complimentary breakfast which gives a choice of two eggs any style with toast, French toast, pancakes and various other choices. Guests are given vouchers for breakfast that clearly stated that they are offered one of the meals listed. If guest choose the have something other than what is offered a discount for the voucher is taken off of their bill. The majority of our guest feel that it is a great breakfast compared to some the offering of other places of a donut and coffee.
Again I’m sorry that you didn’t feel that your stay was a great as expected.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

This lake front property has the most relaxing views and is within walking distance to town. The room was comfortable, clean, and a good size. We have paid twice the amount for a smaller room at other well-known hotels. The food was good at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Lake Front the night of July14-15, 2013. The room was small to the point of being cramped. The bathroom was serviceable, although the amenities were few. The television appeared to date from the 20th century, with a small screen CRT. Although billing free wi-fi, there was no connection to our Apple iPad. The desk clerk claimed that the hotel's version of wi-fi doesn't work with Apple products. That's hard to believe, given that wi-fi is universal and Apple probably has more wi-fi connecting products than any other tablet manufacturer. We wanted to place a call to a local restaurant with regard to dinner reservations around 4:00 p.m. After inquiring about wi-fi, we asked the desk clerk whether he had the number handy. He told us that there was no telephone directory at the front desk and couldn't help us out. Although the setting is attractive, there are too many minuses to justify a favorable recommendation.

Room Tip: Restaurants in town are better value and offer more attractive menus.
1  Thank Tuam
Lakefronthotel, Manager at Lake Front Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

I'm sorry that the problems you encountered with the Wi-Fi, phone book and TV made your stay with us unfavorable. We strive to provide a safe, comfortable and clean facility for our guests with a location that is unbeatable and provides gorgeous views of our beautiful lake. The problem you encountered with the Wi-Fi connection: the clerk was correct in telling you that iPads often times have a hard time connecting to both our Wi-Fi and other Wi-Fi connecting due to either the operating system or the setting on your iPad itself. The fact that the connection was found, the iPad said that it was in fact connected to a network yet not searching on the internet tells me that it was in fact an issue with the iPad itself and not with our service. We have not encountered any of our other guests having problems with connecting their devices or the main office connecting our main computers to the network. We are the first to know if there is any issue with the internet connections that we have. These issues can be fixed and problems noted can be found by doing a simple search on the internet which will result in thousands of complaints and fixes for this problem regarding Apple products. In regards to not having a phone book- the restaurant in question is currently not listed in the phone book as it is a new establishment, which is only about two block from the Hotel itself, very quick walk. We also provide brochures including restaurant guides in the main lobby. As far as the TV goes when we rebuilt we invested in the things that would make our guests comfortable during their stay. The TV's are all in perfect working condition therefore until they break we do not find it necessary to put more garbage into our environment. We hope that people are coming to Cooperstown to enjoy everything our town has to offer not spend the time in front of a TV. I'm also disappointed that you found our located or 1 1/2 blocks from Main Street and the Hall of Fame undesirable.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We were extremely disappointed when we stayed at the Lake Front this past Sunday. Temperature and humidity outside were in the 90's. Inside was worse. The room air conditioner wasn't cooling when we got back to our room at about 11:15 P.M. I tried ringing the intercom at the office a few times but no one answered. I went back to the room and called the hotel phone number to try to speak with someone but only got a recording. When I spoke with the office staff the next morning they said it was my fault because I didn't notice the absence of a tiny snowflake on the room thermostat. I'm not sure how that would have helped me if I did notice it missing. I pushed every possible button I could find on the thermostat while I was sweltering and none of them did anything (other than changing the thermostat setting to 62 or 63. The unit continued to gently emit hot air anyway).

I rented this room for over $200. I would have been more comfortable camping for a lot less. The room was terrible and the support service was much worse.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jerry S

I'm sorry to hear that you have problems with you cooling system. I am very surprised to hear that you had a problem with our cooling system. When the hotel was rebuilt we invested a lot of our budget into a top of the line heating and cooling system that would both be whisper quiet, efficient and user friendly. In the three years that this system has been used I have never had anyone not be able to control their unit. I'm also sorry that you could not reach the clerk who is at the establishment 24 hours a day. There are several ways to contact the clerk which are both posted on the main office door and posted right by the phone in your room.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed for two nights while visiting the Baseball Hall of Fame--it's only a block and a half from there and is very convenient, but off the beaten path.

I almost did not book the Lake Front, due to the fact they call it a "hotel." It is not a hotel, but two separate buildings that make it a motel. If they don't want to call it a motel, then I would change the name to "The Lake Front" or "Lake Front Inn"--either would be much more descriptive than calling it a hotel.

The owner started it over 50 years ago and recently (about 3 years ago) they completely redid it. The exterior and interior are very nice and spotless. We had a room with two queen beds and a sitting area. The part with the two queen beds was fairly small--in fact both my wife and I hit our leg on a piece of furniture coming out of the bathroom.

Wonderful location right on the lake.

They provide coupons for breakfast at their restaurant--but limit you to one of about five items. If you want anything more you have to pay the difference. Also, since it is a restaurant, they expect you to leave a tip for breakfast.

Also they provided one coupon for a trip on their boat for a lake cruise. But, if there is more than one person, you have to pay for the others in your party. But, it was an ideal day when we took to lake cruise.