“Great View”
Review of Lake Front Hotel

Lake Front Hotel
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Cooperstown
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This lake front property has the most relaxing views and is within walking distance to town. The room was comfortable, clean, and a good size. We have paid twice the amount for a smaller room at other well-known hotels. The food was good at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Lake Front the night of July14-15, 2013. The room was small to the point of being cramped. The bathroom was serviceable, although the amenities were few. The television appeared to date from the 20th century, with a small screen CRT. Although billing free wi-fi, there was no connection to our Apple iPad. The desk clerk claimed that the hotel's version of wi-fi doesn't work with Apple products. That's hard to believe, given that wi-fi is universal and Apple probably has more wi-fi connecting products than any other tablet manufacturer. We wanted to place a call to a local restaurant with regard to dinner reservations around 4:00 p.m. After inquiring about wi-fi, we asked the desk clerk whether he had the number handy. He told us that there was no telephone directory at the front desk and couldn't help us out. Although the setting is attractive, there are too many minuses to justify a favorable recommendation.

Room Tip: Restaurants in town are better value and offer more attractive menus.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tuam
Lakefronthotel, Manager at Lake Front Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

I'm sorry that the problems you encountered with the Wi-Fi, phone book and TV made your stay with us unfavorable. We strive to provide a safe, comfortable and clean facility for our guests with a location that is unbeatable and provides gorgeous views of our beautiful lake. The problem you encountered with the Wi-Fi connection: the clerk was correct in telling you that iPads often times have a hard time connecting to both our Wi-Fi and other Wi-Fi connecting due to either the operating system or the setting on your iPad itself. The fact that the connection was found, the iPad said that it was in fact connected to a network yet not searching on the internet tells me that it was in fact an issue with the iPad itself and not with our service. We have not encountered any of our other guests having problems with connecting their devices or the main office connecting our main computers to the network. We are the first to know if there is any issue with the internet connections that we have. These issues can be fixed and problems noted can be found by doing a simple search on the internet which will result in thousands of complaints and fixes for this problem regarding Apple products. In regards to not having a phone book- the restaurant in question is currently not listed in the phone book as it is a new establishment, which is only about two block from the Hotel itself, very quick walk. We also provide brochures including restaurant guides in the main lobby. As far as the TV goes when we rebuilt we invested in the things that would make our guests comfortable during their stay. The TV's are all in perfect working condition therefore until they break we do not find it necessary to put more garbage into our environment. We hope that people are coming to Cooperstown to enjoy everything our town has to offer not spend the time in front of a TV. I'm also disappointed that you found our located or 1 1/2 blocks from Main Street and the Hall of Fame undesirable.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We were extremely disappointed when we stayed at the Lake Front this past Sunday. Temperature and humidity outside were in the 90's. Inside was worse. The room air conditioner wasn't cooling when we got back to our room at about 11:15 P.M. I tried ringing the intercom at the office a few times but no one answered. I went back to the room and called the hotel phone number to try to speak with someone but only got a recording. When I spoke with the office staff the next morning they said it was my fault because I didn't notice the absence of a tiny snowflake on the room thermostat. I'm not sure how that would have helped me if I did notice it missing. I pushed every possible button I could find on the thermostat while I was sweltering and none of them did anything (other than changing the thermostat setting to 62 or 63. The unit continued to gently emit hot air anyway).

I rented this room for over $200. I would have been more comfortable camping for a lot less. The room was terrible and the support service was much worse.

2  Thank Jerry S

I'm sorry to hear that you have problems with you cooling system. I am very surprised to hear that you had a problem with our cooling system. When the hotel was rebuilt we invested a lot of our budget into a top of the line heating and cooling system that would both be whisper quiet, efficient and user friendly. In the three years that this system has been used I have never had anyone not be able to control their unit. I'm also sorry that you could not reach the clerk who is at the establishment 24 hours a day. There are several ways to contact the clerk which are both posted on the main office door and posted right by the phone in your room.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed for two nights while visiting the Baseball Hall of Fame--it's only a block and a half from there and is very convenient, but off the beaten path.

I almost did not book the Lake Front, due to the fact they call it a "hotel." It is not a hotel, but two separate buildings that make it a motel. If they don't want to call it a motel, then I would change the name to "The Lake Front" or "Lake Front Inn"--either would be much more descriptive than calling it a hotel.

The owner started it over 50 years ago and recently (about 3 years ago) they completely redid it. The exterior and interior are very nice and spotless. We had a room with two queen beds and a sitting area. The part with the two queen beds was fairly small--in fact both my wife and I hit our leg on a piece of furniture coming out of the bathroom.

Wonderful location right on the lake.

They provide coupons for breakfast at their restaurant--but limit you to one of about five items. If you want anything more you have to pay the difference. Also, since it is a restaurant, they expect you to leave a tip for breakfast.

Also they provided one coupon for a trip on their boat for a lake cruise. But, if there is more than one person, you have to pay for the others in your party. But, it was an ideal day when we took to lake cruise.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We had a room facing the lake. Gorgeous view first thing in the morning, continues through breakfast if you snag one of the tables near the windows in the restaurant. Baseball Hall of Fame is just a few blocks up the street. We could walk to anything we wanted to see in town, left the car parked in front of our room both days we were there.
We like to experience local stuff when I'm in a new (to us) town. I was glad to see that the bar had local beers on tap, and several local/area bottle selections. Brewery Ommegang is just out of town, and three of theirs were on tap. Having a guitarist/singer in the bar on Wednesday night was a nice surprise, made a real nice end to the day.
Owner puts in lot of hours. I saw him at 6:45 AM and 10 PM the same day. You can tell he isn't just hanging around, the site is kept up nicely.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the lake. First floor view is blocked by parked cars sometimes, second floor w...
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I just happened to find this hotel after searching on the internet for a room in Cooperstown. I found hotels in the area very expensive and not very close to the Hall of Fame, which meant driving up to 35 miles and parking in the HoF lots out of town and using the trolley. When I stumbled on Lake Front, I found the location desirable: only a block from the Hall of Fame. While it is not cheap, I found it comparable to other hotels much farther away and, in many cases, it was less expensive than some of the chain hotels. Upon arrival in Cooperstown, it was very easy to find and a very nice surprise. It was very nice and scenic, right on Lake Otsego and the marina. The front desk people were very helpful, especially when it came to where and how to park to visit the Hall, so as not to tie-up their small parking lots for incoming guests. Basically, it was about 30 feet outside of the lot, on the street (some of the few free parking places in the whole town, which we never would have known about, had the front desk not informed us; if we been staying more than one night, we could have stayed in the hotel parking lot. The property was very well-kept and attractive. The room was extremely clean and neat, although a bit small, which really wasn't a problem. We had a second floor room and the view of Otsego Lake was beautiful. Wi-Fi was available, as were normal amenities (tv, ac, etc). The restaurant onsite was very nice, well decorated, the prices very reasonable and the staff was friendly; breakfast was free, if a guest of the hotel. The walk to the Hall of Fame was no more than 5 minutes, as advertised. An added feature is the Glimmerglass Queen Tour Boat, which is onsite and available for tours of the lake. If you are a guest, upon check-in, you receive one free ticket for the boat tour.

Overall, we were extremely pleased with our stay at the Lake Front and will definitely try to stay there again, if in Cooperstown. I would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: For a view of the lake, get a second floor room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our establishment. We all work very hard to ensure that we provide our guest with a comfortable, affordable stay while visiting our beautiful Village. We hope to see you on our next trip to Cooperstown.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Just 2 short blocks from the Hall and even closer to the lake, this is an ideal location. I expected it to be hard to park near the Hall, but we did see many free 2-hr spots available on our 2-block walk. This was a Thurs & Fri in late June, so parking might be tougher on weekends later in the summer. I will say that our room on the second floor, facing lake, was clean with scenic view, but it was very small with one queen bed, small bathroom with shower only, and pedestal sink with very limited countertop. Room comes with limited free breakfast and 1 ticket worth $16 for the boat ride. We ate breakfast in their restaurant one morning;while passable, we chose to eat in town second day. We took the boat ride which was peaceful but slow and would recommend it for photos. Minor problems with room were quickly addressed by staff.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank chazb0
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cooperstown
Holiday Inn Express Cooperstown
Tunnicliff Inn
Tunnicliff Inn
#11 of 16 in Cooperstown
Best Western Plus Cooperstown Inn & Suites

Been to Lake Front Hotel? Share your experiences!