“Its still a MOtel....”

Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Cooperstown
chicago
“Its still a MOtel....”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Here's the thing,if they had kept the MOTEL name I would have expected a MOTEL. Instead you call yourself a HOTEL and thats what I expected.

The pros....LOCATION!! If you are there for the Hall of Fame its great! You're a block away from it and the main part of town. Very picturesque right on the waters of Otsego Lake. Cute.

The cons...Like I said its a MOtel...NOT a HOtel. Yet they are charging you a hotel rate. For what I paid I expected alot more than shampoo/conditioner in a ketchup packet as my amenties. The rooms were musty/smelly. The beds were just ok at best. The restaurant service was awful and the table we had by the windows overlooking the lake could have used a wipe down from all the dead bugs on the sills inside, very unappetizing. The restaurant even seemed like it was trying to be something its not...on the menu hot dogs and tacos but on special caviar. Caviar, really???

So my advice to management, be one or the other. If you are trying to be CAVIAR then be caviar, give me nicely appointed rooms with separate shampoo and conditioner in bottles, decorate like you are in the current year not circa 1985, make sure the rooms smell nicely, and the beds and linens are comfortable. If you are trying to be exactly what you are now, go back to calling it a motel, reduce your rates by like $100 at least.

My advice to travelers, come down to the pier to see the lake and take the tour it was fun and very relaxing but there's got to be a few other places to stay in town or just outside of town.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank exmrsd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2012

This is a lovely little hotel on the lake in Cooperstown. The welcome wasn't the friendliest, but the staff were polite and efficient. We booked a lake front ground floor room and it was ideal. Not terribly big, but more than adequate, with a decent bathroom. Hotel is right on the water and is very quiet. The restaurant does breakfast, lunch and dinner with a deck out on the water. The breakfast included is a handful of items off the restaurant menu or else a discount on the other items on the menu. The location is perfect. Two blocks to the main street and the hall of fame. Also, the tour boat, The Glimmerglass Queen, leaves from the dock right outside the hotel so it's very convenient. All in all, a great option in Cooperstown

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 21, 2012

You will be charmed not only by the magnificent lake that is right at the door step of your room but also by the welcoming staff. The hotel itself is very nice and it has a restaurant with a diverse menu. Best of all you can enjoy the one hour boat ride on the lake that is right there on the premises of the hotel.

• Stayed June 2012
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I chose it for location, and it was great. But it seems an extra $100 was added for Hall of Fame Classic weekend. For $250, I expect a newspaper, facial tissue, an iron and ironing board, coffee in the room or in the front office, and ice I don't have to buy at the restaurant. I was barely in the door when the front desk called to say my cooler had to stay in my car. And I couldn't sit with my brother and his wife because my pation chairs were locked to the wall. The restaurant food was quite good but service was not. I had to empty the bathroom trash because the maid didn't do it. They changed the name to Lakefront Hotel after renovating, but it still seems like a motel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank BillMFS
Reviewed June 12, 2012 via mobile

A very nice, friendly local establishment. Clean, new and comfortable. And a reasonable price!
Right on the lake and walking distance to Main Street. We were very pleased with the overall value and experience.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Connecticut
Reviewed June 4, 2012

It has been renovated since they took the pictures that are on the website. It's much more modern now and the location cannot be beat and helpful. The hotel is right on the lake, but only just down the hill from the Hall of Fame. The staff was friendly. The walls are thin -- I could hear my neighbors talking, but it wasn't enough to keep me awake. We were in room 25 and it had a view of the lake (plus all rooms have deck chairs in front for relaxing and taking in the view).

We did the boat tour -- it's worth it for the view and a moment of relaxation (although the narration was a little campy for my taste). It was so relaxing, I fell asleep!

Breakfast was ok. It did cost more for anything other than the very basics but for $3.45 plus tip, my meal was decent enough. The young woman who was our waitress was odd, but just inexperienced (and perhaps a little lonely).

I would absolutely stay here again and recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: I would recommend the rooms in the smaller building across from the check in place. That's where...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank nld128
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed May 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night in May 2012. Since it was low season, and the prices were reasonable, we chose a King Superior room, with a balcony overlooking the lake. The location is great, walking distance to the BHOF, and Main Street restaurants and shops. The room was clean, as was the bathroom, and the furnishings relatively new. My only faults with this place were the walls are paper thin, and the bathroom fan/light is painfully loud.
Overall, a good deal for off-season, I'm not sure I would recommend this place with their published high season rates though. For conveinence - it can't be beat. Peaceful setting as well, until one of your neighbors talks.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cooperstown
Holiday Inn Express Cooperstown
#5 of 16 in Cooperstown
Lake View Motel
Lake View Motel
#8 of 16 in Cooperstown

Been to Lake Front Hotel? Share your experiences!