“Clean, convenient & friendly staff”

Bayside Inn & Marina
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Cooperstown
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We got tickets to Glimmerglass Opera and had to make "last minute" accommodations somewhere (last minute = 2 months beforehand). The motel where we typically stay was booked. The Bayside had only a couple of rooms left - all at the lower level. We were not looking forward to only having one window/door, preferring to have gotten a room with a balcony and cross-ventilation. We expected the worst, but were very pleasantly surprised. The room was very clean and updated, no "basement" smell, quite light despite its being on the lower level, gorgeous hanging basket outside each door - and a friendly, helpful staff. It was only a few minutes from Glimmerglass and very convenient to Cooperstown, too.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Bayside Inn & Marina

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I'm so glad we chose Bayside Inn. It's a low-key, comfortable place right on the lake, with a tiny beach, picnic pavilions, and kayaks and canoes for the guests. The staff were friendly and helpful. It's a few miles north of Cooperstown Village, close enough for sightseeing (don't miss the Farmer's Market on Sat. morning, or the Fenimore Art Museum.) Best of all for us, it's just a half mile down the road from Glimmerglass Opera, the reason for our visit. You could easily walk there if you wish.

Room Tip: Most rooms and cottages have lake views. Our room in the ranch house did not advertise a lake view...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2013

once again we had a wonderful stay. the staff is friendly and helpful. the cottage was clean and comfortable. great view of lake. free coffee. close to village of cooperstown, farmers museum and the hall lo fame.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mariann B
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed at this property one night as we were in town just for a one day visit to the Hall of Fame. I was going to give it three stars but I realized that was probably because of the weather. We had a balcony motel room with a view of the lake and I don't want to let the fact that it was rainy affect my impression of the place. Don't get me wrong - I had no complaints. The room was large, comfortable and clean with two queen beds. Nothing fancy but hey - it's a motel. As far as people complaining about the price, it's Cooperstown in the summer so be realistic. The rate was fair, considering. The fridge was handy to have, beds comfortable enough and the staff was very nice (certainly not "terse"). Leave on short notice because a game got rained out? On what planet can you do that? You can park right across from your door, also handy.

Anyway, it's about a 10 minute drive, tops, down a nice country road to get to the center of town. A better option is to drive about two minutes down the road, park, and take the trolley, which you can ride all day for two bucks and which stops right in front of the hall. Parking is difficult.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Go for the motel balcony rooms.
1  Thank Bill S
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We were on the second floor of the main hotel and had a nice view of the lake. It was nice to have a mini fridge in the room, which I had not expected. Very close to downtown Cooperstown and excellent service from the staff. Hot coffee in the lobby in the morning was very nice for me, and the kids loved the games room. Went for a swim in the morning and the beach was small but lovely and quiet. We got a lovely picture of us sitting on the front porch. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and if in the area again, I would stay here without hesitation!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We had two rooms. One was in what they call "extra rooms" and was very musty.
The room on the upper level with the balcony was just fine though.

The front desk people were somewhat terse. And there was a confusion about the room that was described to me on the phone and the one we actually were given, the "extra room".

The lake front area was satisfying and the kayaks fun to use.

A good location if you are going to the opera as it is only one mile away.

1  Thank Ellen D
Jennifer M, Manager at Bayside Inn & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

I'm sorry that this guest was not happy with one of our "extra rooms". The room referenced, along with all of the rooms on our property, has been freshly painted, new drapes, bedspread and new vinyl in the entry. This guest never brought any concerns to me or my staff during her stay. Had I known of her dissatisfaction I would have moved her to another room on our property. I cannot fix a problem if I don't know that there is a problem.

When a potential guest calls for availability, all available accommodations are clearly explained so that the guest can choose the best room/cottage for their needs. Bayside is situated on 4 acres on Otsego Lake and has several types of rooms and cottages of varying sizes and prices. There is something here for everyone.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This place was wonderful. We only stayed for 2 nights, but I am hoping to come back next year for a whole week and stay at the same hotel.

Our room was large and clean. It was a lot nicer than we were expecting just based on the rates and what I'm used to from similar motels. The beds and pillows were super comfortable and the air conditioning worked great. Wi-Fi is a little slow (and we had a lot of difficulty getting cell reception so the Wi-Fi was essential), but it works and it's free. The view from the room on the lake-side is amazing - wish I could wake up to that every morning. The beach that the motel has is pleasant and nice. I was kind of expecting the place to be packed on a weekend in the middle of July, but it didn't seem that way. It was very quiet and relaxing, whenever we went down to the beach there was hardly anybody else there.

Just a wonderful experience, thanks Bayside!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at Bayside. I am glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay and the property. It is always nice to see children and adults playing at the beach and exploring the lake in the canoes and kayaks!

Unfortunately, Verizon is the only cell service that works on the lake. Because of this potential inconvenience to our guests, all calls throughout the US and Canada are free from all of the room and cottage phones. I'm sorry that the Wi-Fi was slow, I will be contacting our Wi-Fi contractor to make sure that it is working properly.

My staff and I work hard to provide a memorable and enjoyable experience and we hope to see you again in the future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cooperstown
Holiday Inn Express Cooperstown
Comfort Inn & Suites at the Ballpark
The Otesaga Resort Hotel
The Otesaga Resort Hotel
#2 of 16 in Cooperstown

Been to Bayside Inn & Marina? Share your experiences!