“Neat place to eat”

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 30, 2010

The restaurant is downstairs in a cellar atmosphere. We really enjoyed it, and our server was excellent. The end of September was a great time to visit, as their were no crowds so we had great service. The food was very good and reasonably priced. I highly recommend this restaurant if you are in Cooperstown

There are newer reviews for The Pit under the Tunnicliff Inn

Reviewed September 9, 2010

I guess I didn't remember the amount of poor reviews this place received, and, based solely on the fact that I remembered the name and location, I decided that this would be a good place to have lunch. Well, it was pretty bad all around. First, it took awhile for someone to notice that we were waiting to be seated. Our waiter was very pleasant and took our orders. Even though the place wasn't crowded,and,we had ordered pretty simple dishes,it took an unreasonably long time for the food to arrive. The food was, to say the least, unremarkable, and certainly not worth the price. The beer was nice and cold though, and this meal didn't ruin a very nice day in this lovely town.

Reviewed September 7, 2010

Good stuff first...escargot & mini crab cakes for appetizers, NY Strip & Lobster Roll for our dinners...food was fantastic! The service, however, left a whole lot to be desired...it was approximately 4:30 on a Saturday, and the place was not that busy for the number of waitstaff on hand (it's not that big!) For starters, NOT ONE employee even acknowledged us when we came in, so we didn't know if we should seat ourselves or what...then we saw others waiting so went over near them and stood in line. Got seated roughly 10 minutes later, drinks & food ordered timely...apps came, then dinners (too soon, barely done w/apps!)....and we didn't see our waiter again...not to refill drinks, not to ask how food was, not to clear a dish...caught another server and asked them to ask our waiter to please bring our check as we had to leave for a concert...waited more than 10 minutes & no check, so went to back of restaurant to ask for manager and was told by another server that "even if the manager had time to talk to me he would say how busy they were and wouldn't be able to do anything about it" (OMG...really?!?) I went back to the table where my boyfriend had finally been given the check, we paid and left....and WILL NOT BE BACK BUT WILL TELL A WHOLE LOT OF PEOPLE ABOUT OUR EXPERIENCE....

Reviewed September 5, 2010

I was not impressed with the waiters attitude as I walked through the door and asked the wait. He looked at me with a glare and screamed "45 min to sit, 30 more to eat". Ok, I can see its busy but the attitude to my question was horrible. We went to stand near the bar to grab a drink while we waited. For a total of 5 min we were ignored. We finally grabbed the bartender and asked if we could get a drink- he cocked his head and said, "no bar drinks right now, we are busy enough". Ok, two people who can't handle a full restaurant.. We were outta there! We would have loved to try this place, heard great things! But I guess I like to be treated better over waiting for a good meal. Just sad...

Reviewed August 10, 2010

yes it is in the basement but the food is great. Great beer selection and the Cuban sandwich was awesome! Don't let the fact you have to walk downstairs into a basement of the Tunnicliff Inn keep you from trying it out.