“Great food--horrible service”

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 7, 2010

Good stuff first...escargot & mini crab cakes for appetizers, NY Strip & Lobster Roll for our dinners...food was fantastic! The service, however, left a whole lot to be desired...it was approximately 4:30 on a Saturday, and the place was not that busy for the number of waitstaff on hand (it's not that big!) For starters, NOT ONE employee even acknowledged us when we came in, so we didn't know if we should seat ourselves or what...then we saw others waiting so went over near them and stood in line. Got seated roughly 10 minutes later, drinks & food ordered timely...apps came, then dinners (too soon, barely done w/apps!)....and we didn't see our waiter again...not to refill drinks, not to ask how food was, not to clear a dish...caught another server and asked them to ask our waiter to please bring our check as we had to leave for a concert...waited more than 10 minutes & no check, so went to back of restaurant to ask for manager and was told by another server that "even if the manager had time to talk to me he would say how busy they were and wouldn't be able to do anything about it" (OMG...really?!?) I went back to the table where my boyfriend had finally been given the check, we paid and left....and WILL NOT BE BACK BUT WILL TELL A WHOLE LOT OF PEOPLE ABOUT OUR EXPERIENCE....

Reviewed September 5, 2010

I was not impressed with the waiters attitude as I walked through the door and asked the wait. He looked at me with a glare and screamed "45 min to sit, 30 more to eat". Ok, I can see its busy but the attitude to my question was horrible. We went to stand near the bar to grab a drink while we waited. For a total of 5 min we were ignored. We finally grabbed the bartender and asked if we could get a drink- he cocked his head and said, "no bar drinks right now, we are busy enough". Ok, two people who can't handle a full restaurant.. We were outta there! We would have loved to try this place, heard great things! But I guess I like to be treated better over waiting for a good meal. Just sad...

Reviewed August 10, 2010

yes it is in the basement but the food is great. Great beer selection and the Cuban sandwich was awesome! Don't let the fact you have to walk downstairs into a basement of the Tunnicliff Inn keep you from trying it out.

Reviewed July 16, 2010

Food was good, actually I had a nice blueberry grilled chicken salad which was a surprise for a place like this. Good for dining with little ones and not so worried about they mess they made. I would reco this place for a good burger and beer.

Reviewed June 22, 2010

We ate at The Pit for lunch. The quality must decline during the busy season. I ordered pulled pork, but it barely covered the bun and was mostly covered in sauce. It looked like something you'd get from the frozen section of the grocery store. I asked if the fruit side was fresh and it is not. It comes on a truck in a bag! For $10, I'd expect a nice sandwich and some fresh fruit. This was a real disappointment and again I think many of the restaurants could care less about food quality during the busy season. Beware - Cooperstown is not a place you will enjoy a nice lunch or dinner. The wait staff was well trained and professional which was a fresh change compared to what we had experienced elsewhere.