“Nothing special. Looks like an old 70's basement”

The Pit under the Tunnicliff Inn
Ranked #20 of 62 Restaurants in Cooperstown
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Went there cause they had a lunch special. The food wasn't that great and the place feels very dated. I've heard the Inn and the restaurant above it nice, but "The Pit" is the pits. I wouldn't go there if you don't have to.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We had lunch a nice lunch here. I ordered a pulled pork; the meat was moist rather than dry. The barbeque sauce was tasty. My husband had a mushroom ravioli which he liked. I tasted the sauce which I thought was ghastly, but to each his own. The service was perfectly nice and the place was clear.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Being in town during the off season left few choices for dinner we discovered. We happened upon The Pit and were pleasantly surprised. The building looks very old and restaurant is downstairs. It's cozy but quaint. Our server was also excellent even though she was the only one waiting tables the night we stopped in. I had a the chicken sandwich which was delicious. My husband had a burger that was cooked to his liking with some yummy french fries. I would recommend this place for casual dining because it was pretty wallet friendly and appears to be family friendly as well.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

This restaurant was recommended by the motel we were staying at - it had weekend specials, so we got the lobster. The prices were reasonable, but if you wanted any salad or soup, it cost extra - a nominal amount. The service was very good. The room itself lacked style - not decorated very well. They also had a good variety of desserts - we had ours to go - I had pumpkin cheesecake - it was delicious. My friend had plain cheesecake and it was also tastyl Would recommend it - but not to anyone who had trouble climbing stairs - it did not appear to have access for handicapped.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

After striking out, (pardon the pun) at several other restaurants which were closed, we opted for the Pit. The atmosphere is casual, nothing fancy sort of like a college town bar. It wasn’t TOO crowded that evening but there only seemed to be one waitress on duty for the 10-15 people dining, ALL of whom seemed to arrive at the same time. We expected a service disaster but were SO wrong.

Renee our waitress, (and everyone else’s) did a fantastic job with our beverages, appetizers and meal. The anticipated wait was non-existent and the service fantastic! The salads were crisp, fresh & cold and our entrees which consisted of the rib-eye steak & the Sam Adams filet were tasty and prepared to our requested “doneness”.

It wasn’t a 4 star meal but based on our initial expectations the Pit was a pleasant surprise!!