“A bit of the Past”

The Farmers' Museum
Ranked #3 of 38 things to do in Cooperstown
More attraction details
Owner description: Living history museum re-creates 19th-century rural life, complete with craftspeople demonstrating rural trades and skills in the restored buildings of an 1845 village.
Reviewed April 24, 2012

My great grandfather worked at the museum before I was born. It's been a bright spot to go and see the changes over the years. I believe they've done a great job at preserving the way of life for people still see today. A great experience, for both young and older.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

The museum is accurate portrayal of life in that period

Reviewed April 23, 2012

We visited the Farmers Museum on a whim, on a recent trip to Cooperstown where our primary purpose was to visit the Hall of Fame. The Farmers' Museum was a pleasant surprise, offering interesting history for children and adults alike. The workers (volunteers?) were all very knowledgeable about their craft, and the history of the area. The carousel is great for the kids (and big kids like me). The Farmers' Museum is a very worthwhile stop on any visit to the area.

1  Thank RustyRobear
Reviewed April 22, 2012

We were there off season and had the place to ourselves. Terrific for the kids. The staff was friendly and pleasant and the place was informative. The carousel is fun and the last ride of the day is free. A good outdoor compliment to the indoor Baseball HoF

Reviewed April 20, 2012

I was in Cooperstown killing some time before meeting friends in Syracuse, so after spending as much time as possible at the Baseball Hall of Fame I decided to hit the Fenimore and the Farmer's Museum. The Farmer's Museum was cute. There weren't that many demonstrations and like Lorien5 said below, it is not worth more than one visit.

But without having my kids around to touch ever artifact, watchevery demonstration and pet every goat, it was difficult to spend more than an hour here. It is very child-oriented and I have to say I felt conspicuously out-of-place as a single guy walking around and popping my head into the different buildings.

3  Thank Maps7