“this place always satisfies"”
Review of Hallo Berlin

Hallo Berlin
Ranked #5 of 10 Restaurants in Conklin
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 10, 2011

If you like German food and beer than this is your place. The service is friendly and you will feel right at home even if your home never featured German food!

Reviewed February 19, 2011

My wife and I have been looking forward to going to Hallo Berlin in Conklin for years, ever since we made a special trip (60 miles from home) a few summers ago to find out they were closed for vacation, so we decided to celebrate our 27th wedding anniversary with a delicious German dinner.

A nice old fashioned european atmosphere, the people were friendly and the food was great! It was a Friday night and there was only one other table of patrons (table of 6). Our waitress was very good, not too attentive, just about right.

We shared the potato pancakes (a little pricey, but very tasty) and had the soft pretzel.
It was nothing special, but the mustard was delicious. We both ordered a beer, one "black" one "smokey" and both were excellent. Very pricey, $8 and $10, but delicious.

For the meal I ordered the huntersteak...a little tough, but excellent flavor and all the sides were very good, even though the spatzle was very black peppery. My wife had the suaerbraten which at first had an unfamiliar flavor, but she loved it. Her spatzle was too peppery for her to eat. Some bread or a crusty roll would have been welcomed but was not offered. (Nice sized portions.)

Very happy with the meal, we thought we'd share some German Chocolate Cake to finish a great date but it was a terrible ending. The cake was about a week old and all dried out...it had a decent flavor but was stale and pricey! ($7)

Overall we were happy with the meal and the beer, but will shy away from the extras next time and just get the main meal. A great special occasion place but for $75 PLUS tip not a place to frequent.

1  Thank gehlville2
Reviewed January 24, 2011

Decided to go at the last minute on Saturday night. When I arrived the place was pretty dead with the exception of two couples at the bar and another two groups in the dinning room. I was seated immediatly by a friendly gentleman who turned out to be my server. He was friendly, curtious, knowledgeble, an odd sense of humor that at first made me uneasy but once we started talking a bit more it was clear that he truly enjoyed what he was doing and his humor was quite enjoyable. In addition he had a great german/austrian accent. I thought the menu was well rounded with plenty of options and frankly the food was very, very good. As I mentioned the waiter was very knowledgeble and gave some great advise for both the beer and food that I had. A bit expensive but worth it.

Reviewed September 6, 2010

We went to Hallo Berlin on a Friday night about 6. We were the only customers. We were seated on the side patio, where there was a small dog that belonged to one of the workers. Not a huge deal, we are dog lovers but it was a bit odd. The dog kept barking and the waiter kept petting him..

I ordered the Hunter Steak and my husband order a Wurst platter and chose Bratwurst and bockwurst.
The navy bean soup was very good but really, the only thing ,for me, that was edible. My steak had a horrible smell to it. I attributed that to the fact that it was drenched in a Mushroom-MARACHINO CHERRY gravy..but in reality, I believe the meat was bad.
Sauerkraut was Ok..everything else was awful
My husand got bockwurst and knockwurst, not what he ordered..and it was also not very good.
Beer was 9.00 a stein..36.00 in beer...18 for my meal..17 for his..WAY expensive for food that was barely edible in hubbys case and not edible in mine.
I wish it had been good, We did not complain,not our style but having tried it, we will never go back and would advise all to steer clear

1  Thank dee2673
Reviewed July 12, 2010

A week before my husband and I travelled to Johnson City, NY I called Hallo Berlin in Conklin and asked about their hours for Sundays. A woman, with a German accent, assured me the web site was correct and they would be open until 8 p.m. My husband and I arrived at 6 p.m. and saw two cars in the lot. After we parked and got out a person sitting behind a trellis in the Bier Garten yelled out, "We are closed." I said that I had called and was told they would be open until 8 p.m. to which he replied, "We are on vacation."
The male did not have an accent and I do not believe he was the owner. I called their other restaurant in NYC and they said as far as they knew the restaurant should have been open and they were not on vacation. Yes, places can close early but he could have least gotten up and spoken to us face to face instead of yelling from behind the trellis. Maybe he was celebrating the FIFA final.
So I can't comment on the food on the rudeness of the male behind the trellis, certainly left a bad taste in our mouths!

1  Thank MeaganLeigh