“What a find! Great food and attentive service!”

Restaurant X & Bully Boy Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant X & Bully Boy Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 25 Restaurants in Congers
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We were a group of six. When we arrived, the staff were very accommodating and moved us to a table for six by the window. Our original reservation was for eight people and they put us at a large table that would accommodate eight. Food was superb. Several had the special a 20 oz steak, served with salad, potato, creamed spinach and dessert plus two glasses of wine. This was meant for two people and we certainly could have included a third. In addition the beef Wellington and stuffed trout were very well prepared. We will return!

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Our evening began on a bit of a "down note" but the situation was cheerfully corrected by the management. .

My husband and I spent the weekend in the Hudson River Valley to commemorate our 46th wedding anniversary. I did extensive research to find the perfect restaurant for our dinner celebration. After we viewed Restaurant X's web site, read the online menu and studied the reviews on tripadvisor, we made our choice.

When I made our reservation I mentioned that we were celebrating our anniversary. Upon arrival the hostess seated us in the lower dining room at a very small table for two just at the bottom of the steps. The table on the other side was so close it felt like we were dining with the other couple. There was constant movement and traffic as every guest, waiter, waitress and bus person went up and down the stairs. Although there were fresh flowers and candles on each table that provided a lovely visual atmosphere, the room was very loud and much too lively. This is not what I had envisioned for a romantic anniversary dinner.

We had a glass of wine, ordered appetizers and tried to make the best of our situation. I had the Leek Soup with crab and crispy onions. My husband had Feio Gras. Both were outstanding!! However, the atmosphere was unnerving and it became increasingly uncomfortable and frustrating.

***MY KNIGHT IN SHINING ARMOR TO THE RESCUE***

Sensing my disappointment, my husband excused himself to have a conversation with the manager to request that we be moved. We were immediately and graciously shown to a four top corner table in the upper dining room. It was quiet with very comfortable chairs, low lighting and candles that provided just the atmosphere I was craving. Our waiter was attentive, friendly and eager to accommodate us as he served our previously ordered entrees.

The Beef Wellington exceeded my expectations and the lamb dish my husband enjoyed was excellently prepared. The manager stopped by our table to wish us a happy anniversary just as the waiter delivered a special complimentary dessert complete with candles.

I learned two things from this experience. Don't hesitate to let the hostess know you are unhappy with your table. Any restaurant worth it's salt will only be too happy to accommodate your request. And second, and most important, I'm sure glad I married my Knight In Shining Armor.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

For the entire month of August, Restaurant X is offering a $40 fixed meal that includes a caesar salad, cowboy steak, creamed spinach, potatoes au gratin and creme brulee for dessert. The portions are extraordinarily large and everything is absolutely delicious. Definitely worth the drive. Excellent meal. Before you decide to visit, call the restaurant and ask about their specials.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We have been going to Restaurant X for years, and are big fans of all of Peter Kelly's restaurants, he is a phenomenal chef. Back in March we had dinner here for my wife's birthday and as usual the food and service were great. But, this weekend we had the Sunday brunch and over the years this meal event has gotten a bit frayed (still very good, but not what one would expect from Peter Kelly). The servers are definitely not as crisp, but more importantly, the food has not really changed in years, and often the meats were rather dry. The brunch consists of servers coming around with tasting size portions of may dishes, from mushroom ravioli, to fresh fruit, to duck, to capon, etc. Also, the prosecco they now serve in place of champagne was somewhat pedestrian.

1  Thank JHT48310
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Peter Kelly does an outstanding job at all his places. This is well worth the money but they also participate in restaurant week so you can try them twice a year at a bargain price. Check out their brunch- served tableside in course after course... it is a special experience.