“What a terrible Father's Day Brunch”
Review of the bonwit inn

the bonwit inn
Ranked #57 of 109 Restaurants in Commack
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Selden, New York
“What a terrible Father's Day Brunch”
Reviewed June 20, 2010

We go to the Bonwit a lot and have never had a bad experience until today. We went for the Fathers Day Brunch. Our reservations were for 2:00. The brunch was going until 3:00. We were upstairs. The Buffet was horrible. To begin the food itself appeared to be sitting in the sternos for hours. It was dried out and never replenished. It looked unappetizing and obviously not fresh. There were times when there were no plates and no glasses. Two seperate times we saw dirty plates. I spoke to a manager and showed him the food and asked him if he would eat it. He asked me what he could do to make me happy. I told him to put out food that was fresh and not sitting in sternos for hours. The chef making the omlettes heard me and told me that they were very busy and that he had to wait 15 minutes to get oil. He was unable to make omlettes and needed to make scrambled eggs as a result. Not a manager or busboy disagreed with me about the lack of fresh food. I took it further and went to the owner. I explained the problem. The owner told me that they had been very busy all day. I told her that I was paying the same price and there being busy was no excuse for the food that they had out. She then told me that they put very little food out because it is a sin to waste food. I explained that the food was never replenished and that there wasn't enough out for an entire family to take. Then she basically told me that I was lieing and that food was constantly being replenished. I took her upstairs to see for herself. When she came up she still wouldn't accept the fact that the food was disgusting. The managers kept quiet and told us that even though we were right they didn't want to cause problems. The final straw was when my niece went up to get food and there was no serving utensil. When my mother complained.. we were told by the owner to get out of her restaurant and never ever come back. We never got an apology and they basically told us they are busy and really don't care. My parents have been going to this restaurant for many years. The managers and waiters/waitresses all know them. A manager was clearly upset with the situation and kept saying I know them. They are here all the time. None of this mattered to the owner. This was a horrible experience.

8 Thank jillysss

Cape Cod, Massachusetts
“Area Gem”
Reviewed November 9, 2009

I was visiting the area and wanted to take someone out to a nice place to eat. This place was perfect. It is a little old fashioned with good, not fancy, food. The service was excellent. The steak was perfectly cooked rare and the tuna was perfectly under-cooked. The mashed potatos were sinful. The French Onion soup is a meal unto itself. All entrees come with a large family style Greek salad. This provided ample portions and contained a good selection of vegetables, etc. If you go, be sure to try the rice pudding for dessert. It is served in a pastry cup and sprinkled with lots of cinnamon. The only improvement I would suggest is to provide a wine list. The waitress just listed off "we have Cabernet, Merlot, Chianti, etc." No indication of the vintage or the country of origin.

1 Thank BostonNix
Port Jefferson, NY
“Great Service, Very Good Food”
Reviewed April 15, 2009

I had a very large dinner party here last year. We were about 18 people and of course called ahead to make reservations. The service was excellent despite us being a very large and sometimes demanding group. The food was very good. A large assortment of entrees and the specials were very interesting. The restuarant itself feels fancy and it's really a great setting for a special occasion.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“i enjoyed this restaurant when i went and i hope to go there again sometime soon!”
Reviewed April 30, 2008