“Disappointing and Overpriced”

Spare Rib
Ranked #13 of 135 Restaurants in Commack
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed October 2, 2018

We used to frequent the Spare Rib a few years ago and always enjoyed it. There were 7 of us so there was a good variety of dishes ordered. We also ordered a combination appetizer platter and that was very good. Entree's ordered ranged from Chicken Cordon Bleu to the Beef Chop. I ordered the combo Stuffed Shrimp and riblets which for $2.00 were upgraded to a half rack of baby back ribs. The stuffing in the shrimp was mostly breading and I could not distinguish any seafood in it. The ribs were very disappointing. They were not "fall of the bone" and in fact were very tough. It seems they left out the part of cooking the ribs for extended hours to tenderize them. Another of our party order the beef chop which looked like a dinosaur spare rib. She said it was flavorful but also tough to chew. A third entree was the chicken cordon bleu which I tasted and found mediocre at best. Most of the entrees we ordered were in excess of $20.00 which have been absolutely worth it if we enjoyed them but were overpriced because they were just not very good. Despite our sentiments, I must say that the place was packed and even with a large parking lot, it was difficult to find parking. We had to wait till someone came out that was leaving to get their parking space.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed September 19, 2018

We have been coming here for a long time and the food is always good. The service is descent depending who you get. The drinks however are not up to par. I normally have 2 drinks with diner and feel good. For some reason every time I come here after 2 drinks I feel as if I didn’t drink anything at all. Foods great service is good and will continue to come here.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed September 1, 2018 via mobile

I regret coming here. At home, I smoke ribs. Five hours at 225 degrees. The meat should fall off the bone. The ribs were grizzly and overcooked. Server was very nice.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed July 23, 2018

My friends and I live on Long Island and we've been coming to The Spare Rib for a few years now. I've always been very happy with the food. The menu is large so there are many things to choose from. Usually my friends get the bbq chicken or the ribs which are excellent! My favorite combo to get is the buffalo wings and riblets! The riblets have plenty of meat on them if you pick them up and eat them with your hands! Yeah it's messy, but who cares! That is how you eat ribs my friends. The portions are very large and filling. They always start you out with fresh corn bread with bread and butter. The cornbread is delicious! Most dinners come with two sides and a salad. My only complaint about this place is the salad. They give you mostly lettuce and hardly anything else. One slice of cucumber and one tomato. That is hardly a salad and they need to improve on this. If you want a Caesar salad, which I prefer, it's $2.99 extra. I think that is absolutely ridiculous! Any restaurants I have gone to either offers you a regular tossed salad or Caesar salad. I hope they decide to change that in the future. Some other delicious sides are corn on the cob, glazed carrots, and the bbq roasted potatoes! Super yummy! I've never tried their prime rib so I can't really comment on that, but I did have the shrimp scampi combo and I found the shrimp too small and not enough was given. Other then that I give this place a thumbs up! Make sure they give you a lot of hand wipes and enjoy the ribs! :)

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed June 9, 2018 via mobile

I was shocked at how terrible this rib joint has become.
For years we enjoyed the ribs and broasted chicken at both the Hicksville and Commack locations. The Commack location now stands as the sole Spare Rib.
Maybe I should have known better than to order a lobster roll in a rib place. It was nothing more than fake crab meat, Alaskan Pollock with a microscopic piece of lobster claw. It was so full of onion is wasn’t edible. The grilled cheese brisket sandwich was no better. Toast burnt to black with dried out beef. The whole experience was disappointing after remembering how enjoyable every menu item used to be.
We were naive enough to order the brownie ice cream dessert. The brownie was so rock-like it caused laughter. It was so hard we couldn’t even break it apart. It had obviously been microwaved on high for so long that it was pulverized. Three huge scoops of vanilla ice cream covered in whipped cream was enjoyable.
Service was pleasant but nonexistent after our food was plunked down. All leading us to ask: what happened ?

Date of visit: June 2018