“Pretty Good Hotel”

Hampton Inn Long Island/Commack
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Commack
Reviewed July 22, 2010

I arrived at the hotel which was very easy to find off of the LIE. As a matter of fact, we were happy to find that there was a Diner next door to the hotel which had wonderful food. Check-in was a very easy process and the clerk was very nice. I had requested that my family be placed on the first floor due to having a baby. I was accomadated with a room near the lobby area. The hotel room was nice, but I did not understand why it did not have a large dresser to place our cloths. The only drawers were under the night stand, very small, and one next to the tv, also very small. With a family of 3 we had to live out of our suitcases forthe next four nights. The room was a standard sixe with 2 double beds. The beds were ok, and the bathroom was also just ok. The rooms were in need of some TLC and updating.

After leaving the hotel for the 2nd day, we returned to find that the room was not cleaned. I thought this was interesting, but maybe the housekeeping crew just forgot. At around 1030 pm that night while I and my 1 year old were sleeping, the room door swung open and I awoke to find a male, not a hotel employee, standing inside my room with luggage in his hand. Being totally dismayed, angry and concerned, I immediately met with the front desk clerk to find out that my room was listed as unoccupied. Geeeez. Additionaly, when the clerk gave room keys to the other person, it deactivated my room keys and I could no longer gain entry into my room. This was a HUGE mistake on the hotel staff.

I figured I would hear from the management of the hotel to make this right, but, I received no calls, or acknowledgement of their mistake. The clerk said I must have changed rooms after I arrived, which I never did.

On the third day, me and my family returned to the hotel in the afternoon to find again that the room keys did not work. I was getting pretty angry and again was disappointed wth the lack of caring on the hotel staff. This was getting ridiculas.

In closing, there were major mistakes which occurred with the hotel staff. Hampton Innn should take a look at their operating procedures to elimate a future mistake like this.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Long Island/Commack

Reviewed October 17, 2009

I found this Hampton Inn to be excellent. It was remodeled about 3 months ago and looks great. Clean room with wide screen tv, microwave & mini-fridge, quiet, great hot breakfast, comfortable bed, friendly staff, and free shuttle service. My company on long island had me come up for a week of sales training, and suggested I stay at the Sheraton which is only a few blocks from the office. Because I am a hilton honors member and because I could save about $50/night (includes free breakfast & free wifi) I chose the Hampton instead, which was another mile away from my office. There isn't a pool or weight room, but they do offer free access to a Gold's gym about a mile away. Their free shuttle goes to the Islip airport, and was very helpful to take me to and from my office each day. The Premier Diner is right next door and is fabulous. With their 8 page menu, you could stay at the Hampton Inn for a week and never order the same thing twice. There is also a movie theater a few 100 yards away, a Target superstore about four blocks away.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 30, 2009

We had a comfortable stay at the Hampton Inn in Commack. The room was large and clean. Bathroom small but clean and adequate for 2 people. Check-in was good. Breakfast was typical Hampton, but I expected that when I made the reservation. I don't eat sausage patties and french toast sticks; but there were other things there making the breakfast spartan but adequate. The location was perfect, just off I-495, near Suffolk Community College (which is why we were there). I'd have no problem staying at that Hampton again next time we're in the area. (We had a much more positive stay than indicated in earlier reviews!)

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2009

This hotel actually made me sick, and I stay in hotel rooms two or three nights a week and consider myself a pretty hardy traveler. As soon as I opened the door to my room, though, a dusty, musty, stale odor assailed me. Even with the fan on cool, it was hard to ignore the "old smoke" smell in the room. I woke up with a sore throat and congestion(which passed after a day or two), and my co-worker complained of the same symptoms when I met him in the hotel breakfast area. He also said that his room was stuffy and musty.

In addition, he complained that he had gone to work out, and found out that the hotel didn't have an exercise room, or a pool. Apparently, this is in the works, but I will wait some time before I try this property again.

There is a diner almost in the parking lot, but other dining and services are not handy. I would recommend driving another six miles east, to the Hampton Inn in Islandia - much nicer, and in a much better location.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank LiftLady
Reviewed May 27, 2009

I've stayed in many Hampton Inn's and always been happy with my stay but this time it was different. The parking lot was full of pot holes. The hotel needs some updating alittle bit run down. Just didn't have a comfy feeling.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for three nights with our three kids (ages 8, 5 and 2). We usually love Hampton Inns for our purposes; roomy, very clean, friendly staff, complimentary breakfast.

This particular Hampton is showing it's age, though. The one thing that drove me crazy (and the reason I will never go back) is the cigarette smoke SMELL. Others have mentioned smelling it in the bathroom. Well, it's in the elevators too. It's actually in the venilation system! There's a fan in the bathroom and one in the elevators, and you can just smell the smoke reeking through the system. It was gross. By day three I didn't even want to back to the room OR the elevators.

Another annoying thing was the outdated heating/cooling system. It was one of those that sounds like a train coming when it cranks on and off. Woke me up several times a night.

I thought the staff was friendly and helpful enough, not as much as at other Hamptons we've stayed. Breakfast was always well stocked.

We went there to visit relatives, and I think next time we will try elsewhere...but I hear there's nothing that's much better in the area. : (

It's not the worst hotel I've ever stayed in, that's for sure. Just not at all up to Hampton standards....

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed November 25, 2008

The hotel has the highest quality for the money ($100/night) with the most amenities (breakfast buffet, wifi internet, lobby computer, easy access) in the area. My room was spacious and comfortable, though the walls, carpet, and bathroom showed a few signs of wear-and-tear. Despite it being at the intersection of very busy LI Expressway (rt 495) and Commack Rd, and adjacent to the sometimes noisy multiplex (due to moviegoers blasting their stereos), the room was amazingly quiet! The staff was genuinely friendly and helpful (I needed directions to a new ice cream place which I couldn't find on the 'net, and, after some discussion between the two receptionists, they figured it out perfectly!). The room TV worked great, and, except for a minor snafu with my key card (which seems to be an ongoing problem with me, regardless of where or which hotel I stay!) and one breakfast (of four) that was so crowded, that I had to wait fifteen minutes just to get a cup of OJ! (they definitely need more seats for breakfast patrons, but there's no place to put additional tables and chairs) . I'm somewhat baffled by the muzak playing outside the hotel, but, it's kept relatively low, so I didn't really care about it. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Commack
Hampton Inn Long Island/Islandia
Hyatt Regency Long Island
Hyatt Regency Long Island
#1 of 4 in Hauppauge
Holiday Inn Express Hauppauge
Hilton Garden Inn Islip/MacArthur Airport
La Quinta Inn & Suites Islip MacArthur Airport
Hilton Garden Inn Melville

Been to Hampton Inn Long Island/Commack? Share your experiences!