“Average Hotel”

Hampton Inn Long Island/Commack
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Commack
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We recently stayed here for a nearby soccer tournament. It was an average hotel.

PROS: Convenient to our tournament. Nice lobby to relax in with other teammates. Several couches and televisions. Excellent diner across the parking lot that was easy to walk to and had great food.

CONS: Beds were very uncomfortable. Too hard. We were with many people and everyone was complaining that their backs hurt from the beds.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 15, 2012

This was not our first time staying at this location. We used to frquent the area years ago and stayed here. Now a days we don't get here as often, but when we do, we always stay here. It's a perfect location to get in and out of the LIE (495), it's surrounded by shops, cinemaplex, and good restaurants. The place is typically clean, affordable, and the desk people are generally courteous.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

I grew up in the area and came back for a family event and had a very nice stay here for 2 nights (fri and sat nts). Lots of families and wedding parties staying here on the weekend. The breakfast room is in the lobby and provides for a nice gathering area for friends and family with a couple of couches and tables and chairs. One night I invited my family members who stayed at another hotel to come hang in the lobby..we ordered pizza and hung out about 12 of us..very nice. I asked the front desk if this would be ok and the were fine with it. Rooms very clean comfortable and modern. Breakfast was great especially the waffle maker. There is also a diner right in front of the hotel..diner is pricey but extremely huge portions.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I am a diamond member with Hilton hotels and usually checking in a bit early is no problem but today it was! I landed late and drove all the way to Commack for dc and was denied check in because it was full the night before... So I walk in to see if they have rooms around 10 (Already waited 5 hours) and Steve the front desk worker tells me that I am going to have to wait and he doesn't know when rooms would be open. So I ask him to call housekeeping to see if they had cleaned at least 1 room by 10am so he does with an attitude and says "I know this is a crazy question do you have any rooms, yep I know bye" and tells me he has nothing for me. What happened to good service where if they don't have a room they will go and clean one for you? I spend good $ with them and have stayed at this hotel 6 times never had such a terrible experience. I think it's time for new customer service and maids because the ones there are rude slow and have nothing nice and welcoming at all

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed September 8, 2012

So convenient, clean, close to highways, Long Island Railroad (Deer Park stop) you really can't beat it. Plus a delicious hot breakfast. Hampton Inn continues its winning reputation! When I'm back in town to see my family I know for sure where I'll be staying...I had just stayed in the Hampton Inn in NYC (35th St) and now this one when I visited my parents. Terrific, terrific hotel chain.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I am typically quite happy with Hampton Inns and this one was no exception. The location was very convenient off the LIE. In spite of that, it was in a very quiet spot. I made my way to the hotel in the wee hours of the morning after a late arrival at JFK. The first thing I noticed was that the hotel decor was very inviting upon entering. There are several designs for the Hampton depending on their vintage and I like this particular type. The staff was very helpful though the person who checked me in could not suggest a restaurant other than White Castle that was open late. Given the fact that 24-hour diners are rather plentiful on the east coast, that was a bit disappointing but she might have been quite right that the nearest place of that type was too far to drive to be practical. The room was nice and very spacious. The amenities inlcuding the wireless internet were in good working order. The morning breakfast was very typical of a Hampton and was adequate. The eating space seemed a bit small on first glance but was fine for the time I was there. The rate on this hotel was a touch high and I could have saved $10 or $20 by by staying one or two towns over. But my appointment was in Commack and I chose to stay close, partly due to my late arrival. The Hampton appeared to be the only choice among the five or six major chains I usually use with a facility in Commack.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I've stayed in a few Hampton's and their built from some kind of standard plan, so no great surprises with this one. The room was fine, with a couple of exceptions; the AC was not very effective during the humid weather and the two double-beds were VERY, VERY small which was an issue because we had four people (2 adults + 2 teenagers) staying.

Breakfast was the usual mix of inedible processed horrible (any idea what animal those "sausages" are made from?), cereals, fruit, yoghurt and pastries plus the obligatory waffle maker with a long line...

Free WiFi worked well and I do like the help-yourself coffee bar in reception. Didn't get to try the pool (which looked OK, but small) or the gym.

Staff were perfunctory rather than friendly, but no real complaints. The room rate, even for August, seemed a bit expensive - considering the small room.

Acid test : I probably would stay again if the need arose.

Room Tip: The dinner next door is GREAT.