“Very Happy with everything at this hotel BUT THE BED IS SO HARD!”

Hampton Inn Long Island/Commack
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Commack
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I have stayed here twice now with my family of 5. It is one of the only places on Long Island where we have been able to find a reasonably priced room for 2 adults & 3 kids. The King suite is not huge but it is big enough to wheel in a roll-away bed and with the fold-out couch, we all fit comfortably. The breakfast buffet is nothing spectacular but it is good enough to meet our needs- cold cereals, yogurt, breads & pastries, oatmeal, fruit, juice, and couple of hot foods that vary each day. We have found the place to be quiet and clean- plus the indoor pool is great. Also, the diner right next door is quite good!

HOWEVER- THE BEDS ARE SOOOOO HARD!!! The first time we stayed here, our bed was pretty firm but it was only one night so I didn't really worry about it. On this last trip, we were there 3 nights and by the end of it, my shoulders and hips were aching! My bed at home is not especially soft but it does have a foamy top layer. I guess I have been spoiled because this bed at the Hampton Inn seemed like sleeping on concrete! I asked the front desk and they said that all of the beds in the hotel are the same. SO, I guess if you like a firm mattress, this place would be perfect for you! If not, you might want to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed April 10, 2012

Our last stay at this hotel was for 3 nights with my husband and 2 teenage daughters during the Christmas holidays while visiting relatives in Commack. We have stayed at this hotel several times during the past 8 years and have always been very pleased with it. Rooms are always clean and beds are comfortable. During our last stay we were pleasantly surprised with the new indoor swimming pool. Breakfast is always ample with a good variety of healthy choices. The shuttle which is available on demand is great if you don't have a car. They will take you to the train station or to the nearby outlet stores and you could even call and have them pick you up afterwards. The hotel staff is friendly and helpful and will provide you with whatever you may have forgotten to bring along. The lobby area is comfortable and looks more like your living room then a hotel lobby. Can't wait to go visit the relatives again and stay at the Hampton!

Room Tip: If you stay on the ground level you obviously do not need to wait for the elevators and you have eas...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Had a one night stay here on business and was very happy with the hotel. Good area to work and meet in the lobby. Breakfast was very good with hot and cold items. Internet was fast and easy to connect to. Location just off the LIE was easy on and off. Good food nearby.
Hampton Inn standards met or exceeded in every regard.

Room Tip: No room issues detected. Hotel seemed well sound proofed and I could not hear the expressway nearby...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I stayed here while on a business trip. It was close to the location I needed to go to and right off of the LIE. Could not ask for a better location.

Hotel is clean and the rooms seem to have been updated within last few years. Clean, crisp sheets in big bed. I had a fridge, although I do not know if that is standard. Free wi- fi is a plus.

Nice free breakfast in the morning. Some hot foods and a normal cold bar of cereal and fruit.

I would stay at again if in the area.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed November 15, 2011

The lobby is beautiful and updated, the staff is ever so friendly, the have adequate towels, rooms larger than my first apartment and pretty good water pressure. There needed to be better ventilation in the bathroom as too much steam has caused the ceiling to start peeling, but this is a common issue in many hotels. If were were going back to Long Island... I would stay here again. Good value for the money and don't forget the Diner next door!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 26, 2011

I was doing some business on Long Island in western suffolk county. There are lots of hotels located off 495 around Hauppague/Ronkonkoma but 495 going west is an absolute traffic nightmare in the morning and for some reason there are not a lot of chain hotels in the Smithtown/Kings Park area. I wanted something off 495 but anything 10-15 miles west of Commack is double the price and anything 10-15 miles east of Commack will take you 30-40 extra minutes of travel time during rush hour.

I would never stay at the dated Sheraton with its terrible customer service so the Hampton Inn was my only option. The hotel was almost full when I called for a reservation. Which was unfortunate because the greedy hotel will not honor any discounts (AAA, military, etc.) when the hotel is near to being full. So I ended up paying $150 per night, which in my opinion is about $50 more than this hotel is worth. This is a $100 - $120 tops hotel in terms of what you get. But, the location was exactly what I needed for Kings Park business, so I booked anyways.

The first complaint I have with this hotel is that the walls are pretty thin. I could hear several things from the next room ... mostly banging around. A couple toilet flushes. I couldn't really hear the TV or anything but anytime the person moved around it was annoying because I could hear it.

The biggest complaint I have is that the wireless internet is slow as molasses. It literally look me a minute to load a page. I could not even watch youtube videos because of the slow speed they loaded at. And uploading photos to facebook was also impossible. It is free, which is not true of the Hilton and Marriott large hotels in the area but free and slow is never a good combination.

The cable is annoying as well because there are about 15 channels that come in ... and from there on, there are two channels of black for every 1 channel of cable. It also is extremely slow to scroll through the channels because it will pause for a few seconds on every black out channel before bringing up the actual channel. They have HBO but I didn't really feel like the cable was easy to use.

The hotel is relatively clean. The decor and furniture seems updated, although the doors are still the old style metal doors that seem a little industrial. The room is a bit dark and dreary but there is a big wooden wall desk and closet at one end of the room, which is nice. I will say the rooms are nicer than I thought they would be ... although they are on the small side for a business hotel in this area. They don't feel spacious at all ... they feel almost like the rooms in a big city. Also, they have the white bed duvets that most chain hotels are going with these days which I hate because the beds look unmade this way.

This room reminded me of being on a cruise ship or a train in the way it was set up. It feels less like a business hotel room and more like a compartment on a boat. The bathroom is fairly small and utilitarian. It is like a cruiseship bathroom as it is set up for convenience and not space. The sink is in a sideways vanity and the shower curtain comes out on a curved bar to take up a lot of the room.

The beds here are firm and springy. Personally I like a soft bed, so these weren't the best for me. It was kind of uncomfortable ... like sleeping on a boxing ring canvas. The bedding wasn't the greatest either. I felt like the duvet was too small for the bed and the pillows were kind of flat.

There is a big table in the lobby with high chairs. It is a rather small lobby and I don't think it would be very comfortable to lounge in the lobby the way the Hilton Garden Inn or Courtyard by Marriott is. There really isn't a lot of space in this hotel. It all feels very cramped from the lobby to the rooms. At least there is ample parking. And free breakfast.

I would not stay here regularly. I would much rather have a nice, spacious Courtyard or Garden Inn. But for the location, so close to the Sagitos/Southern Parkway and LIE it was good for what I needed. This was an average stay for a much higher price than it was worth because they had me over a barrel as they were almost full.

Room Tip: There are no suites here, so don't expect an upgrade. They do have 'more spacious rooms'...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank LovinHotelLife
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Arrived very late on the Sunday night after long international flight and was pleased to find the hotel, had not used Hampton before, offered a clean and comfortable room which was well appointed for the hotel grade. Hotel offered facilities but did not have time to take advantage of. Traffic might be a problem if you needed to cross town early in the morning. Although the breakfast, which was part of the package, I couldnt recommend relying on it unless you didnt have time to find an alternative. To balance that the hotel did provide free Wi-Fi which was better than some services that I have had to pay for.

Room Tip: Didnt find a problem with the standard double room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Commack
Hampton Inn Long Island/Islandia
Hyatt Regency Long Island
Hyatt Regency Long Island
#1 of 4 in Hauppauge
Holiday Inn Express Hauppauge
Hilton Garden Inn Islip/MacArthur Airport
Jake's 58 Hotel & Casino
Residence Inn Long Island Hauppauge/Islandia

Been to Hampton Inn Long Island/Commack? Share your experiences!