“A fun place, but needs work”
Review of Zoobic Safari

Zoobic Safari
Book In Advance
More Info
$13.90*
and up
Zoobic Safari Entry with Lunch Option
Reviewed December 10, 2013

My first impression when I pulled up to the Zoobic Safari was not too bad. The drive to get there was a little bit of a pain, and for kids I am sure too long. Once inside, there seem to be no real order, we paid for our tickets, was told to go inside and wait. We waited for a while, as they were busy, but no one really seem to know what was going on, even the employees I asked, would only tell me to wait. But that could have been because I am American and speaking English.

Once inside the part, I did like the fact they let you driver you own vehicle, or you can ride on their tram. Driving and stooping, sure made me feel I should have left the car, and took the tram, but oh well. The over all look of the inside of the park was not what I expected, but this is the Philippines, not the US.

The living areas of the animals we did see, seemed nothing like what they would be living in if they were in the wild, some were on a hill, no grass, very little trees, some were behind fences. I was a lot let down. And I could go on and on, it was just bad to me for the animals.

The tigers were the best part of the drive through, being able to ride on a secure jeep into an area with live tigers in and around you, wow, very cool, Though you are on a jeep full of others, and depending on where you sit, (I was next to the driver) you may not get to see the tiger all that close, but closer then if not in the jeep. Each jeep has a safety person on board who feeds the tigers, and that is very cool. Over all the tigers part of the drive though, very cool.

Once we finished the driver through, we were now onto the smaller part of the zoo, where you can walk with a guide to see other animals that was not a part of the drive through. Again I was very disappointed, these animals were living in areas not like the wild, very little if no grass at all, on a slop or hill, behind fences that have seen better days.

The animals looked ok, but the grounds looked dirty, bare, and in need of much repairs. I would not go back to Zoobic Safari due to the conditions of the over all place, they need to build these animal better living places, or remove the fences and let the animals roam free. That is what a real Safari is all about, not keeping them inside of fences while people drive by to look. Let them roam, keep personal vehicles out, only use the Zoobic trams, and make it a real Safari.

I forgot to talk about the area where you can have your photos taken with live tigers, which is very cool, but the cages they are kept in close to where the photos are taken, is nothing more then an abuse of animals. You should never put large animals into such small cages, that was heart breaking.

This Safari was poor if best, with a few good areas. It was not a waste of a trip, but I wont go back ever.

1  Thank JerryW6
"loco"
"dust"
"thrilling"

Reviewed December 2, 2013

I was curious to check out Zoobic's night safari after experiencing their day tour and having previously enjoyed the original Night Safari in Singapore. We got it at good value having purchased discount vouchers online with a 30% discount and no prior reservations required. Apparently our local night safari is a seasonal event which runs Oct-Jan then opens again during summer in the Philippines.

All in all, i think it was a very good attempt on their part to make this into a nocturnal affair. There's something about watching animals at night that seem to either make them behave differently or made it seem more exciting. The tour starts at 6pm with a briefing and assignment of tour groups with one guide each.

You start out with a walking tour of the zoo (but it does not go through all the animals) and then you ride a train (free for Night Safari but is an additional P50 for day visitors). We went through all the usual day tour places except what could possibly have been the most exciting one for me (which is understandable because of safety issues) which is viewing the tigers up close in their cages. This usually happens right after the Tiger jeep.

For the Night Safari, a good addition is the Greyhound walk where each family group (regardless if there is only 2 of you or 12) is given 1 greyhound on a leash to walk with through a dark trail. I do not advise the more elderly members of the family to do this without a flashlight as some trees and rocks can make it easy to stumble. The greyhounds were well-behaved and used to being walked so no problem there. Another thing to bring is mosquito repellant.

What is probably the highlight of the safari is the cultural show at the end where Zoobic's staff members and resident natives dance and parade the animals. For the Night Safari, they added some dancers with electric outfits, fire breathers, fire dancers and an interactive portion with the audience who were provided with sticks to join in on the drum beats.

All in all, it was a good addition to our Subic trip. I'm glad Zoobic made this attempt and will continue to improve it in the succeeding years.

Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

The zoobic safari is unlike any other Zoos I've been to. Who gets to ride a caged jeepney and get thrown into tigers?! It was intense! Who gets to buy pieces of chicken to feed crocs with a long fishing pole?! Hahaha! I honestly was having more fun than my little sister (who is 9 years old), mind you. It was so much fun and my whole family enjoyed it. The service was great as well. But be careful of vendors. If they think you're a tourist, they will jack up their prices. 500 pesos for 2 Popsicles, really??I'm not an idiot! But hey, didn't allow it to ruin my fun. It was worth it (the zoo, not the Popsicles)!

1  Thank Khykhy14
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is the first zoo I've been where you can feed crocodiles (though of course from afar, using something akin to a fishing rod). It was a fun experience and the food for the crocodiles (chicken quarter leg) was reasonably priced. There were times when we had to walk to see the animals, and others where we had to remain seated in the tram. (Note: There is an additional payment if you want to ride the tram.)

The highlight of the zoo experience was the close encounter with the tigers where we rode on a caged vehicle while the tigers roamed free. Thing is, the experience would be kind of boring (the tigers might not even go near you) if you don't have chicken to feed them, so better dish out a couple of hundred bucks for more excitement. Also, be prepared with bits and pieces that might come your way. There is a great photo op towards the end of the tiger-feeding when the staff member who is feeding the tiger throws the last piece of meat towards the top of the vehicle and the tiger jumps on top of the vehicle - we certainly laughed at ourselves when we saw the shocked look on our faces caught on camera.

Overall, a very enjoyable experience with family or friends.

1  Thank CandyMay_07
See more reviews
Reviewed September 6, 2013

They had a lot of animals to see. But I found the enclosure per animal small, if I were the animal, I would feel claustophobic. Prime examples are the tigers in their cages. The establishment had so many tigers, as they seem to be successfully breeding them. But the cages, they are so small for the tigers. They were bored, and they kept on pacing back and forth. All feedings had a price, and so expensive. They have several milk feeding stations, where they would put maybe 100ml of cow's milk and charge you a lot, when these milk came from those 1liter cow's milk cartons that you can buy for 60 pesos at the supermarket. I've experienced the tiger temple in Thailand and I find the way they take care of the animals there more natural than in Zoobic. The picture taking with the tiger was a thrill for the first timer, but it was nothing for me, having experienced in Thailand having a full grown tiger's head put on my lap.

2  Thank al22tecc