“Great for families, Nice view”

Vista Marina Hotel and Resort
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Stayed there as birthday celebration of my daughter. Check in was quick & easy. Parking was not a problem. The room was big & clean. It had everything we needed. However, the bed was hard & the door was hard to open. Hotel can do some improvements especially the hallway wherein it becomes gloomy. The view from the balcony was also perfect especially if you have kids that you want to monitor in the pool.

Breakfast was average. You can request to have the food served at the pool area. Location of the hotel is just right. One can stroll & check the night scene.

Front desk is not that friendly but housekeeping is quick when we asked for extra towels. Hotel has a nice big lobby

No elevator for this hotel & we stayed at the 3rd flr. Overall, the hotel is ideal for someone who wants a quick get-away.

Room Tip: Request for ground flr or 2nd flr rooms if you are travelling with elders.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank xtncarreon

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Check-in was easy. Parking was available since they were at the end of the strip. Rooms are big and clean and air-conditioning was strong enough against summer heat. Balcony offered very nice and unobstructed bay view. Breakfast was ok. Location and layout seem safe for families with children. They had a nice-looking pool and towels were readily offered by their pool staff. However, for a 3-day stay, we only swam on the first day. Implementation of pool rules need to be stricter. Many guests were swimming in shirts and shorts which did not look hygienic. Pool water looked cloudy and felt thick when we went in. We did not notice the pool being cleaned daily. We still plan to go back later this year since the location is really nice. We hope that they have corrected their pool management by then.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the bay.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Its always a nice trip travelling from Manila to Subic. As we checked in, the front desk girl is not too friendly. Room is very big which is nice with a great view from our veranda. Overall, nice location and will think twice of coming back there.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 6, 2012

This hotel is inside the former US naval base, which is now a top tourist destination North of Manila. It was a really hot day when we arrived, and the hotel did not have centralized air conditioning. Good thing the check in process was quick. I had to walk up to the 3rd floor carrying my luggage (there was not even a ramp for wheeled luggage so it was rough). My room was hot...took a few minutes before the airconditioner cooled the room to my liking. I liked the view, it was overlooking the pool and the ocean, and I had sliding doors that opened to the balcony. The hotel LOOKED new, but the doors used a lock and key, not the card-type locks you see in other hotels. The safe is also a wooden box with a key. I was not aware of the break-ins before my stay, but I didn't have any problems, so I don't know if the management has controlled this (I hope so!). The door to my room had a scraped part close to the knob, like someone tried to get in in the past. Glad I didn't lose any item, since I stayed out of the room the whole day during my stay.

The mattress was hard, but I still slept ok. Room lighting was dismal. There was also no luggage rack so I had to put it on the floor (which I hated). The bathroom was clean and the bathtub was great but had no soap rack/dish, which I thought was weird. Water pressure was strong.

Breakfast was not great at all, and I ended up going elsewhere to eat. Whenever we returned to the hotel, there were hardly any people in the pool so I think that non-hotel guests are not allowed to swim there anymore. Never got to try it though. The ocean behind the hotel was not swimmable, we had to go to another part of Subic to swim.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank chuvalooh
Reviewed February 23, 2012

Subic was unusually quiet when we stayed overnight a day before Chinese New Year. In the past, we would spend New Year’s Eve in the former American base and it would always be a blast with the different bands playing at Marina Bay starting at 8:00pm. But that’s a different story to tell.

This time, our family of 5, 2 kids and 1 friend stayed at Vista Marina along Moonbay Marina. The hotel has a nice pool and the beach is just a few kilometers from it. But the Subic water is not fit for swimming so we just walked along the bay. Vista Marina is walking distance from the rows of restaurants along Moonbay which is also the center of entertainment at night.

We got two rooms, one deluxe single with a queen size bed and one junior suite which has 1 single bed and 1 queen size bed and a seating area. The deluxe single has a veranda with a pool view while our suite also has a veranda overlooking the beach. The suite was very spacious that my kids said we should have brought the x-box so they can dance in the seating area. It had two 32-inch flat screen TV sets – one in the bedroom and another in the living room. Aside from the sofa, the living room also has a two-seater table. The bathroom has a bath tub so you can also imagine how spacious it is.

The published rate of a deluxe single for two persons is P3,850 while the junior suite for three is P4,950. The very nice thing with Vista Marina is that they gave 20% senior citizen discount on each room because we were with our parents. But to avail of the discount, you have to deposit at least 50% of the total room rates to their BDO account a few days before the check-in. You cannot avail of the discount if you will pay online. This is good since there are hotels which divide the number of occupants in a room then extends only the 20% discount to the senior citizen.

The only thing that disappointed me at Vista Marina was their buffet breakfast. The choices were very limited and the food was not good at P350/head for excess people inside the room. Next time, I’ll just buy packed breakfast at Jollibee or Chowking for the kids. But in terms of service, the hotel staff are quick on their toes and very helpful.

We had such a good time in the hotel that we decided to stay there instead of doing the treetop adventure and jungle survival demo. If you will want to do these, be in the area at 8:30am because the first schedule of the jungle survival demo is at 10:00am. They will not sell you tickets unless you have attended their 15-minute orientation. You will be finished in 2 hours, eat lunch, then check-in at the hotel at 2:00pm. By 4:00pm, you can already enjoy the pool. We went to the area after lunch and the next schedule of the demo was 2:00pm so we just decided to have snacks at Xtreme Cafe which we also enjoyed the crepes and pizza. There is always a next time for the subic adventure

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor are perfect for those with kids and senior citizens because they do not have...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Louie_Sebastian
Reviewed February 14, 2012

no free wifi access,you have to pay 90 php for 1 hr. use and 500 for 24hrs/ unlimited use..

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank maryetaz
Reviewed January 24, 2012

We stayed at Vista during the Chinese New Year weekend. We first stayed there five years ago and the place is showing some signs of wear and tear, but still in relatively ok shape considering the poor maintenance track of most provincial hotels and resorts.

The location is excellent, at the end of the promenade so you can walk to many restaurants and nightlife places without getting the noise and the crowds. The pool is small but there was enough space for the people who were there. The resto where breakfast was served, however, was too small and people had to wait for tables during the peak hour. As another reviewer said, selection was limited, but quality was good. I personally prefer fewer but well made dishes than the usual spread.

The staff were excellent as they handled arrangements very well.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family