“It is a nice hotel on the beach”

Vista Marina Hotel and Resort
Boston, Massachusetts
“It is a nice hotel on the beach”
Reviewed April 4, 2011

I stayed at this hotel In February of 2011. The service was good, the rooms were clean. The hotel does show some wear but nothing out of the ordinary. The restaurant was very good. It is a little out of the way, but the neighborhood good. Would I recommend the hotel yes. You can do better if you are going to pay for it, the hotel rate was reasonable.. You can do much much worse. One issue is the lack of a real safe in the room. More of a wooden cabinet with a lock on it. The most significant is the WIFI, yes it is available, however you buy a card, type in the code and the use the network is good for 24 hours from that point regardless if you buy a hour or 5 hour card.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
pampanga, philippines
Reviewed December 26, 2010

This is the first time that we have celebrated Christmas away from home since Subic is just 45 minutes drive from our place, We wanted to try a different hotel, that's why we opted for Vista Marina & its big swimming pool.

The Staff are generally great especially Israel, who helped us with our luggage and took our pictures in front of the hotel & the Pool Man, who unfortunately I didn't get the name, who readily gave us towels when we went swimming in the pool.

The breakfast was OK, but when I was asking for a refill of the coffee maker, I didn't get any, probably because it was already 10 am. But hey, there were sill others having their breakfast or they could have just forgotten my request... By the way, the breakfast is a little bit pricey, although buffet, you only have few choices to choose from. I had to pay for my daughter's breakfast since we're allowed 2 free complimentary.

The Hotel may also want to provide a bidet. Filipinos would always want to wash after they...... Plus, bigger TV.... We are going to another hotel, this New Year's Eve in Subic, & we checked out the room, and they have LCD TV for less the price we paid for in Vista Marina.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank ruby_eli_cha
Valenzuela city, Philippines
Reviewed June 8, 2010

We were searching aimlessly in Olongapo city for a hotel and we came across this while we were on our way to the Parasailing office. We passed by it and I saw they were near the beach and they had a nice swimming pool. We were torn between Vista Marina and the Lighthouse so we tossed a coin and ended up at Vista Marina, which is a good thing considering Vista Marina is much cheaper than the Lighthouse. It was a very, very hot day so I was disappointed that the lobby had no airconditioner but we did not have to wait long because even though we were walk-in guests in middle of the peak season, we only waited for 5 minutes before the bell boy escorted us to our room.

We chose a Junior suite because all 5 of us in the family wanted to stay in the same room. The room and the T&B were spotlessly clean, no qualms there. I hated the bed but since we were so tired due to the hot weather and all the activities we did (Zoobic Safari, Treetop Adventure stuff), we did not care and still slept soundly. The housekeeping were effecient and changed toiletries everyday. The airconditioner was strong and kept us comfortable through the hot days. I loved the balcony with the view of the pool and the beach area. Lovely. Hotel staff were very courteous and they are polite but unobtrusive. They don't do anything special for you unless you ask.

One of the things I did not like is that some people who are not hotel guests can use the pool and can access the hotel through the boardwalk. I loved the Cascade bar's look and the outdoor cabanas but I'd give a thumbs down on their cocktails: the pina colada had too much coconut milk for my taste and their version of the tequila sunrise contains too much orange juice... The hotel's restaurant, Marista, had great Filipino food and I loved dining there.

As for the security, which was my primary concern, considering all the theft allegations, I could see it had greatly improved. The hallways had security cameras, there were roving uniformed and plain clothes guards whom I see everytime I go out the room. I left my laptop in the open when we left our room and nothing happened to it.

I think the deal was quite cheap compared to other hotels in the area but it's more expensive and lower in quality compared to other three star hotels in Manila. I don't know when we'll be back in Subic again but my mom says it will either be Vista Marina or the Lighthouse.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Chrynn
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed June 1, 2010

It was worth our stay. The room was nice and it had a bath tub. There was a swimming pool to play in, and breakfast was good.

• Stayed May 2010
Metro Manila, Philippines
Reviewed December 29, 2009

This may have once been a nice hotel, a couple of years ago, but now it is pretty poor. The service is ok (didn't use any room service though). The sheets and towels were threadbare and/or frayed. The bath tub was damaged: there was a dent, so that the tub would never completely drain. The aircon is old and noisy. The TV was a Korean model with a Korean remote and Korean menu, and the channel list was not updated, so we were blind channel surfing. There were no chairs and no table on the balcony, which otherwise was a nice feature. The restaurant seems to be quite bad, as we've never seen any guest eat there, so wouldn't eat there myself anyways.

And all this for PHP 3500 / night, I would say it's not worth going.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank xristoph
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2009

Room was nice and big, with a lovely view of the beach, the staff were attentive and the food was good. However the mattress was the worst that I have ever slept on (and I have slept on a few over the years) I spoke to the reception the next day and was told that this is a very common complaint but the owner insists to get these mattresses shipped in all the way from Korea despite the complaints. For the price of the room and not being able to get a decent sleep is disappointing but to ignore the complaints of customers is unforgivable and for that reason I will choose one of the many other options available in Subic in the future

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Room was so nice and clean, but first and foremost I love food!
The hotel is known for its excellent cuisine. We dined on lobster and crab at the Hotel. Even though these were not regular menu, the chef prepared a dish for my family.
The view from this hotel is quite breathtaking
The ambiance in that hotel is one of warmth and charm.
You can enjoy your holidays deliciously! Caz, it has lots of good eating and drinking places in the open air along the sea front of the hotel!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family