“Nice trip”

Kamana Sanctuary Resort and Spa
Pasig City
“Nice trip”
Reviewed April 13, 2012

We spent two nights at kamana resort and i can say we enjoyed our stay. the place was not that big and we like it because we hate crowded resorts. I have a tip for those who want to swim at the beach of kamana, better wait for the high tide to come before you go swimming coz it's a bit murky during low tide. The infinity pool i enjoyed a lot because while swimming you can see the beautiful sight of the sea and the mountains right infront of you. The service at the restaurant i have a bit of complaint because you have to wait for about an hour for an order of french fries! but the buffets during our stay were good and we're satisfied. Rooms were clean and beds were comfy, bathrooms were spacious and clean also. I love the serene feeling of the environment when you wake up early in the morning. We're planning in going back there.

Room Tip: casitas are perfect if you want peace and quiet, but i rather choose their rooms near the entrance b...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed April 1, 2012

My review is on customer service, rate, restaurant, amenities and their website. The modern rooms cannot compensate for everything else that is wrong with this property. As a well seasoned traveller having visited most parts of the world...even if Kamana were to offer a free stay, I would never return here again.

Customer service:
- Office is very small with 3-4 people behind the counter looking very confused and flustered when checking in and out
- Check in time took over 30 min.

Hotel (over) price with no WIFI in rooms:
- We booked 2 rooms with 2 queen beds, 9,350 PHP (including tax)/room = $218 USD/room
- They automatically charge ‘incidental deposit’ of 3,000 PHP per day = $70 USD per room – What is this?!
- $288 USD/room x 2 rooms = $576 USD we paid for 1 night, not including the $70 incidental charge
- We originally booked 2 nights – we only stayed 1 night and checked out the next morning. However Kamana still charged us an extra night like the other TA reviewer, we found to our surprise on the credit card statement. They charged us another $576 for 2 rooms + $140 incidentals total of $716 USD = 30,730PHP we’re currently disputing however this hotel is unresponsive.
- It’s true the lowest published rate these rooms are unavailable.

Restaurant:
- We had dinner and breakfast here. Food selection is minimal, so many things on the menu is unavailable. Quality is bad, over priced, takes 1 hour to receive your meal. A simple breakfast order took 1 hr, eggs over-easy were over-cooked and burned is unacceptable. Even though you complain, they won’t comp or provide a discount.
- Staff needs to be trained on service basics. It’s not acceptable to keep your customers waiting for 20 minutes to receive drinks especially when there are only 2 other people in the restaurant. Also all plates need to be cleared away from the table before serving dessert.

- The sun is fiercely hot in the afternoon, for the price they charge, this hotel needs to provide umbrellas for shade by the pool.
- No spa, it’s true. Front desk will make an appointment and cancel saying ‘its not available’. Using ‘Spa’ to advertise is misleading.
- Other than the pool and restaurant, there are no other amenities.
- There’s a 3-storey building beside the pool. The rooms and this area is unfinished and has remained this way since the hotel opened. Strange.

Website and location:
- Don’t be fooled by the pictures posted on their website. .see other TA reviews. The only time this place fills up is during a conference which are few and far between and there were numerous complains.
- I agree that this resort is extremely isolated, as a foreigner traveling with family that’s a major safety concern.

The whole point of TA is so people from all over the world can let others know of their experiences when traveling. I depend on TA member reviews when determining which hotels to choose from. It’s unfortunate that some February reviews were deleted, these posts were made by tourists we met during our trip to Philippines.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
11 Thank Maggie C

Travelers are raving about these Subic Bay Freeport Zone hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 6, 2012

I wished I had read the previous review before arriving at Kamana. These people are crooks indeed.

We picked this resort because the pictures on the internet looked new and modern. I booked 2 nights through Agoda to get a discount as this hotel is pricey. Upon checking in the front desk clerc would not take my booking and said I had to pay direct to them. I kicked up a fuss and they finally agreed to my reservations, except I had to pay extra 1600 pesos per child!

The resort is like a ghost town, there is no one here and the staff kept looking at us. That creeped us out. Went for a swim, pool is nice but small. Its very slippery and there are no umbrellas for shade. Beach is no good, full of rocks. There is nothing to do here, seems very dead and too quiet.

My wife wanted spa. There is no spa service. Dinner selection is terrible. There are 3 pages of menu but they dont even have pasta or pizza or most of the menu. Why did it take an hour for our meal to arrive when the restaurant is deserted? The soup was full of bones, the shrimp tempura did not taste fresh.

Rooms are modern, what a relief but beds too hard. Breakfast again took a long time, our eggs were overdone and the edges were burnt! My wife and I decided to check out after breakfast due to poor service, bad food, lack of amenities and we did not feel comfortable here. I had to remind the desk clerc to return my credit card to me a couple of times. That struck me as very odd.

We went to Camayan Resort which is closeby. They were booked for the evening however this hotel has ambience and a good vibe of what a resort should feel like! There were many locals and tourists present, happy and smiling. We spent the day at the beach and had a late lunch at the restaurant.

A few days later I checked my credit card balance and discovered the Kamana charged me an extra night, even though I had left before check out time! I had a bad experience with Kamana I dont recommend a stay here. Spend your time and money elsewhere, there are so many other hotels in Subic to choose from.

Room Tip: Standard twin and deluxe rooms (which are the cheapest) are never available. No spa. Slow restaurant...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
13 Thank D W
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed February 3, 2012

Our family booked 2 rooms....the accomodations were comfortable & clean.... The infinity pool was just right and with a great view of the bay....though there was only one restaurant available the food was decent.... the staff were very attentive and accomodating....the way there just included a stretch of road which is poorly lit at night....but if you want some tranquility, it is worth a try.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank pinoytraveller808
Quezon city
Reviewed January 29, 2012

After reading the reviews on this place, we were actually quite apprehensive that the food would be terrible. We brought in a big group for a special meeting so we wanted everything to be just right. Our apprehensions were relayed to the management, and surprisingly the food was actually great. Service wasn't too bad. You just have to give explicit instructions. The place is everything our fellow reviewers said - tranquil and peaceful. Rooms also didn't disappoint - spacious with nice comfy beds. I hope the management will keep it this way because I would like to come back.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank butterscotchQC
Imperia, Italy
Reviewed January 22, 2012

We stayed here for two nights and it was not good at all. The rooms are fantastic but the place isn't ready for guests yet, the grounds to the resort are over grown and its a long way off the road. The infinity pool is falling apart and is filled with sea water which gets filled once you ask them to. The tiles around the pool aren't even set to the ground so the water bubbles up around the edges.
We seemed like the only booking the start of the weekend and then a huge conference arrived and even though the staffing levels could have coped the initiative of the staff was unbelievable. We asked if they had champagne and we were brought a bottle of champagne cognac?! Most of our order wasn't available and the food when it arrived was not good.
The lunch we ate the next day was appalling- one of our team waited for an hour for an appetiser, when she complained they refused to deduct it from the bill as she had merely tasted it. Service was always slow and they never seemed to have what we wanted and if they did they took forever getting it for us. We asked for a nice bottle of wine and we got a terrible house red served with the cork pushed in?!!!
The room was fantastic but everything else- not ready, not finished, not trained, not adequate, not worth the money AT ALL.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank HelenBarbour33
Asia
Reviewed December 30, 2011

We stayed in one of the villas. The room was beautiful and the bathroom was large and spacious. Sad to say, that was the best part of the stay. The way into the sanctuary was dark and lacking in directions. We actually got lost getting out of the place. It can get very dark at night and lacking street lights on the way in. Although the resort was very quiet and relaxing, it can also feel quite isolating. There is only one restaurant in the place (that is if you don't want to drive all the way out of the sanctuary), and the menu was very limited and pricey. I wouldn't recommend it to a family group but if you are there because you want to be alone or with someone special, this could be the place for you.

• Stayed October 2011
Mangrove Resort Hotel
Mangrove Resort Hotel
#2 of 18 in Olongapo
Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar

Been to Kamana Sanctuary Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!