“A pleasant surprise, better than expected.”

Camayan Beach Resort and Hotel
Reviewed April 7, 2011

We had a 3-day trip to Subic in the first week of April 2011. We stayed in Camayan Beach Resort for a night, and in another resort for the second night.
I made prior reservations in their Manila office, and their staff wanted me to pay in advance by depositing in their BDO account, which was not very convenient, so instead I asked if I could give my credit card details as a guarantee, to which they never replied. I wasn’t too worried about losing my reservation since we were going on a Monday before Holy Week and I expected it to be a slow day for them. I was right, they kept my reservation despite my not paying in advance via their bank. However, they were very strict about the 2 pm check-in time, and did not give us a room when we came at 1 pm. Having read in Trip Advisor that their restaurant was not very good, we decided to head back to town to have a late lunch and came back at 3 pm.
They gave us a ground floor room, overlooking their nice and lush garden, and within walking distance to the beach and their restaurant. The room was ample, with a veranda and two queen sized beds which was perfect for our party of four. I especially liked their ceiling fan which we opted to use versus the AC, while we were changing for the beach. However, the bathroom smelled a bit musty albeit their exhaust fan.
For dinner, we weren’t very hungry so we just ordered drinks and fried chicken for the kids to nibble on. The chicken was crispy, and the kids enjoyed it. Their restaurant has an open air layout, with indoor and outdoor seating, and had ample lighting both in and out. They have lamps hanging from the trees, and the effect was quite cozy and welcoming. They also had very nice entertainment for their guests, featuring local artists playing drums, dancing, as well as poi-dancing. The beat is very ‘Sinulog’ and Ati-Atihan,’ which we all enjoyed.
They offer a basic and modest breakfast buffet, with sinangag, rellenong bangus, eggs, pancakes, bread, cereals, and yes, hotdogs. Our party consisted of two adults and two kids, and they charged us P150 each for the kids’ breakfast which we found quite reasonable.
Their staff were all courteous and helpful. On the second day, we took the kids to Ocean Adventure, next door to the resort. As hotel guests we got 20% off on the entrance tickets (another good reason to stay in Camayan). My request for a late check-out was granted, and the front office staff (bless her) even gave us a 30-minute extension on the late check-out since the last Ocean Adventure show ran overtime and we couldn’t make it back before 2 pm.
We enjoyed our stay in Camayan, and will recommend it to our friends. Its location is perfect for those who want to stay far from the crowds, while enjoying some sea and sun.

Room Tip: Make prior reservations for grnd flr rooms
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank St0rm2011

Reviewed March 20, 2011

I was with our company employees and families during our stay in this hotel. Although it was a renovated resort hotel, i think that they did a good job to make this hotel resort a good place to unwind during weekends. They have reasonable rate rooms, nice and airy, with a common terrace to while away the time fronting the beach. A fast and reliable wi-fi with wireless router in every floor and building of the resort. Courteous staff.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank pinoy_fahrer
Reviewed March 3, 2011

This was my second trip to this resort. We come to Camayan specifically for the isolated location and the beach.

The rooms in the hotel are fine--beds are very comfortable and they actually wash the bedspreads after each guest which is great. The sink is randomly in the main room which did not bother us, but is slightly odd. Love the bedding configuration of two queens as we were a party of three, so it suited us perfectly. Internet was crazy fast, but the resort was fairly empty when we were there--not sure of the speeds when it is full.

The bathroom is decent--the shower head although seemingly has a lot of pressure, takes forever to wash shampoo from your hair. Towels were nice and smelled good. The shower curtain is slightly too long so it drags on the floor a bit which is odd, but is not bothersome. There were two chairs outside of our room as well as a faucet for washing the sand off your feet before going inside.

Beach was great and clean. Water was fantastic despite the weather here being oddly cool for this time of year. Saw lots of fish and a TON of monkeys!! Loved the monkey!

Since you are far from everywhere, really the only option is to drive 30 minutes to the city or eat at their restaurant. The food is horrible. Even an item like a hot dog (we figured it was impossible to mess up) was disgusting. Fruit shakes were good and the service was excellent.

As long as one knows that this is a basic three star accommodation and there is nothing near you besides Ocean Adventure, I cannot imagine being displeased.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank kikahead
Reviewed February 10, 2011

1. Staff took along time to USE the only guest bathroom in the lobby
2. Some staff will walk in the hallways without any greeting and WITH attitude
3. Cannot bring own alcohol even as guests, will offer their expensive alcohol instead
4. Will not give a fair price for the use of the cabana even from9 pm to 10 pm, will charge a full day's rate even as guests
5. Manager is an idiot when it comes to customer service. Will not cater to needs of customers, and when cannot explain, will say simply it is against their policy. Stupid!
6. No food delivery to room, even if they have so many staff and few guests in-house
7. No pool for late swimming
8. In February when weather is supposed to be cool! Restaurant is still not well ventilated

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
25  Thank Epiczon
Reviewed November 23, 2010

We stayed at Camayan Resort for 2 days. We did not have a reservation (due to the fact that our original plans fell through), and the staff accommodated us accordingly. We could not check in until 2:00pm, however, we had access to the beach, the restaurant, and the sea adventures (snorkeling, kayaking, etc.) to keep us occupied-These were fantastic! We snorkeled right off the beach and went kayaking through the mangroves...I recommend these activities!
The beach is beautiful, especially compared to some of the gray/black beaches throughout the mainland of the Philippines. The sand is almost white, the water is blue/green, and the mountains create a beautiful landscape for pictures!
The rooms are nice for the price, we had a double room with two full beds (more than enough room). Our room was clean and had good access to the beach, restaurant, and cabanas. We also had opportunities to walk down the beach away from the resort which was very private/exclusive and we got to see monkeys and other wildlife.
The only drawback in my opinion would be the food. It was okay, but there are limited choices, so if you stay there for more than 2 days, you will have eaten everything on the menu. The only place to eat is the on-site restaurant, The Reef.

In contrast to some of the other reviews, the restaurant WAS well lit, the staff was very polite and helpful, and we got plenty of peace and quiet. And please, Jellyfish? You are at the BEACH! What do you expect?

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank laceface
Reviewed November 1, 2010

My mistake was not doing my homework which was to read the reviews here in Tripadvisor!
My family went to Camayan beach and expected to have a great family vacation! But to our dismay, all we got were bruises and cuts from the scattered sharp corals and shells littered underneath. Not to mention the itchy sensation and jellyfish attacks!
We will never go back to that beach resort ever nor will I recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
40  Thank hawkmankid
Reviewed September 30, 2010

Stayed here for a night with family. We got two rooms and these rooms are said to newly renovated but for me it seems that it just newly repainted. :) Floor is dusty and the wood furnitures kinda look old. The bed, pillows, sheets and towels are okay though. I don't know what happened to our water in the bathroom but apparently there's no hot water!!! My husband complained and someone came but it still didn't get fixed. Had a hard time giving a bath to my son as he is not used to taking a cold shower!

The hotel has its own beachfront but nothing really exciting as the shoreline is quite short and limited. There's quite a plentiful of people coming in for a day tour and picnic. I can't feel the exclusivity. Food is quite shabby. Didn't like much their breakfast. Plus their restau is not well lit. It looks like a bar at night. Can't see the food I'm eating!!! Good thing is that we're with the company of family. Stories and bonding time made up for it.

What's good about the hotel is that it's near Ocean Adventure and Zoobic Safari! When you're a hotel guest of Camayan, you get to get 20% discount in Ocean Adventure tickets. Plus you can go back the following day without paying anymore. :) Camayan is just far from the duty free shops in Subic if you plan to do some shopping.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Subic Bay Venezia Hotel
Subic Bay Venezia Hotel
#11 of 28 in Subic Bay Freeport Zone
Wild Orchid Beach Resort Subic Bay
Wild Orchid Beach Resort Subic B...
#16 of 28 in Subic Bay Freeport Zone

Been to Camayan Beach Resort and Hotel? Share your experiences!