“Dinner party prior to Bar Mitzva”
Review of Hudson House

Hudson House
Ranked #6 of 26 Restaurants in Cold Spring
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: East Post Rd & Maple
Transit: Metro North, Express Bus from Manhattan and Local Beeline service is available within walking distance.
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Dinner party prior to Bar Mitzva”
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

My wife needs to be gluten free. They accommodated her well. I had the PF Dinner ($33). Had crab cakes, sashimi tuna and strudel. They were fine. Service was S L O W. !!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank EdieandJerryC

Hanover, New Hampshire
“Trip back in time up along the Hudson”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I agreed to meet a friend for dinner up near where he works (rather than having him drive down into the City), so I caught a Metro North train from Grand Central on the Poughkeepsie line and met him in Cold Spring, New York, right along the beautiful Hudson River.

It was his choice of restaurants (and surprisingly, little Cold Spring has an array to choose from), and we went to the Hudson House, which has beautiful views of the Hudson River. The restaurant and inn have a bit of a "colonial" feel to them, from the decor and the furnishings. I would describe the menu as "Classic American."

We ended up ordering from the Prix Fixe menu because we both found items we liked and wanted to try on it. It's three courses for $33.00, so quite reasonable. I ordered a very nice, seasonal "caprese salad", although it was listed on the menu as "Fresh mozarella and beefsteak tomatoes." It didn't disappoint; it was nicely complimented by fresh basil and balsamic vinegar. My companion had a generous bowl of lobster bisque to begin with.

We then both ordered the small New York Strip steak au poivre, which came with horseradish smashed potatoes, fresh young green beans and carrots. The steaks were done as we ordered them: medium rare.

For dessert, we both selected the chocolate bourbon pecan pie with walnut ice cream. It wasn't a huge serving, which was a good thing, after the first two courses.

I ordered two glasses of red wine in the course of my meal, and the total bill was very reasonable, especially in comparison to New York City prices.

My only criticism, and it is a minor one at that, is that the service was too fast. Perhaps it's because we ordered from the Prix Fixe menu and thus the selections were easy to assemble, but we were not in any particular rush that evening, but the food for each course came out one right after the other, with very little time to rest or talk in between. I don't know if this is because they want to turn over the tables as quickly as possible, or because they close at a certain hour and wanted to be wrapping things up for the night, but the mark of good service, to me, is when the server "reads" his/her customers and adjusts things to the way the customer likes it.

All in all, it was a very pleasant escape from the City on a summer evening and I would certainly look forward to another opportunity to dine at the Hudson House.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank Brian M
Cold Spring, New York
“Lunch - Not Good”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Complained about the bread that comes with strawberry butter because there was a plastic piece in it. Told the waitress and she it was from the brush they use to baste it. Said it was not harmful. I believe it's harmful because plastic is not good for ingestion. The restaurant did nothing to compensate or resolve the problem. Never go there again. Thanks for nothing.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank John_WS981KT
Babylon, New York
“Good value, great view”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We had the prix fixe dinner. Three courses, nicely prepared-I had lobster bisque, seared tuna steak and apple strudel. My wife had crab cakes, roasted garlic and crabmeat encrusted cod,and a bourbon chocolate pecan pie. A table overlooking the Hudson River. Added a decent bottle of wine and it was less than $100 for the two of us. Good service, nice time.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank pstoehr
Pearl River, NY
“A great kitchen with Hudson River view”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Extraordinary food at a modest price -- we had French onion soup that wasn't salty. The lobster bisque was creamy and not too hot enjoy. Fettucine Bolognese was the best I have ever had and the salmon was near perfect.
Service was friendly and honest. Cold Spring has lots of antique shops and a few other restaurants, but if you're only going to eat in one place, this is it.

• Visited July 2013