“Une petite surprise”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 18, 2013

As we strolled through antique-y Cold Spring, we came upon Brasserie Le Bouchon, a small country inn/bistro on Main Street. The more we perused the menu, the more interested we became, and we decided to take a chance. The place seems to fit in with the antique style of the town, a French farmhouse look. The tables may have been a tad close, but the interior was charming nonetheless. As it was a lovely evening, we chose to sit on the back porch (they have a front one too). The food was moderately priced and fresh. Herring and grilled octopus appetizers complemented the catch of the day, skate, and bouillabaisse. The goat cheese tart, creamy in its flaky pastry, was a good starter for the perfectly medium-rare hanger steak. They were a bit short on their choice of wines and beers that day, owing to a missed delivery. I wanted so much to taste the profiteroles or creme brulee, but alas, there was no room for dessert. A very lovely, tasty dinner in a nice atmosphere. A little surprise, as I said, maybe even a big one.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Fantastic French food in an unexpected location. I sat on the front porch on a beautiful, hot Sunday afternoon and the breeze was perfect. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Quickly after we sat, they served us a great, warm, right from the over, bread. They have a great selection of French bistro food - got the escargot and needed extra bread to dip into the "sauce" because it was so good. The steak frittes, another classic was perfectly cooked and tasted great. The mussels were another fantastic choice - they had a few different sauces to choose from. If you are wandering around the Hudson Valley area and make it to Cold Spring, this is a must visit!

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I love a restaurant experience where, upon arrival, you feel as if you are an invited and much welcomed guest. Our family of 5 (4 adults and 1 'foodie' teenager) had 7:30 pm reservations on a summer Friday; we were immediately seated at a tastefully bistro-set table. Other reviewers have commended the wine selection experience and I concur. We were given some suggestions and when I asked about the rosé, Michael, our knowledgeable and congenial waiter brought two wonderful rosés to sample.
The escargot was good...not the most outstanding I have ever had, but good. The plat au fromage selection was very good...nice cheese variety and accompaniments. The bread brought to the table was perfection....crusty exterior w a chewy center. Replenishment of bread was requested by our table and accommodated.
My sister in law and I thoroughly enjoyed the restaurant's version of Coquilles St. Jacques which included a dish of sizeable and plump, seared to perfection scallops resting atop a concoction of risotto, spinach and a wonderful sauce. My husband's filet mignon was flavorful and delicious. The pommes frites was very good...crisp, well-salted, not a bit soggy.

Ahhhh...the desserts. we weren't planning on it but some looked too good to pass up. Particularly wonderful was the apple tarte , the chocolate mousse and the peach dessert. Throughout, I found the service to be attentive, professional and warm. I agree with what others have commented regarding the dining bill...the total was a bit higher than expected. In Manhattan, one wouldn't blink; in Cold Spring, perhaps one raised eyebrow. However, when considering the cosy ambiance, wonderful service and generally delicious cuisine...I comfortably justify the tab at the end.

As we now have occasion to visit Cold Spring, we'll be sure to add this restaurant to our 'must frequent' list!

Reviewed May 26, 2013

We started off with great warm crusty bread. I had the duck leg confit. The duck leg was tiny with only 2 fingerling potatoes cut in half. They did take $2 off the bill, but it was a joke. One person next to us had a huge Bouillabaisse, which made me portion-size jealous. My wife enjoyed her onion soup; her crab cakes were ok, but too crusty on the outside and too much filler. The bread was for me the highlight.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Had coffee here on the balcony. A really good start to our
Cold Spring visit. Great service and good views.