“Don't do it!”
Review of Hudson House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cold Spring
Hudson House Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Cold Spring B&B and Inns
New York
“Don't do it!”
Reviewed June 12, 2007

We booked this hotel and The Pig Hill Inn for our wedding guests. Hudson House paled in comparison to The Pig Hill Inn. The rooms at HH were so outdated and severely lacked any character. The rooms never actually seemed to cool down either. The worst part is that we were quoted one price and were billed far in excess of that (which seems to be a pattern with this hotel). We explained that that was not what we agreed upon, as we had the prices and confirmation in writing, and I had the names of the various people I spoke with confirming our reservations, but they refused. Sadly, in addition to misinforming us on the price (and in writing), they also misinformed us of many other things. Definitely not a great way to end a wedding weekend.

We also booked for a nice sized (13 people) dinner out on the patio facing the water (and confirmed it before we arrived), but when we arrived, people were already sitting outside, and they said they could not accommodate us outside because of their error.

Although downstairs looks nice and many of the employees were kind, it could not make up for the horrible and incredibly overpriced rooms (and I saw many of the rooms, including their suites, though they should not dare call them that).

Although I was staying at the HH, I spent more time at the PH Inn where the people were incredbily friendly and the rooms incredibly charming.

None of our guests at the HH seemed impressed with their rooms and prices.

Stay elsewhere!!!!

• Stayed June 2007
1 Thank doesit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Tokyo
Reviewed February 18, 2007

We stayed at the Hudson House Inn February 8 through February 12, 2007. The service was accommodating, friendly and efficient. The room was warm and cosy, although it is just about time to update the carpeting and bath. Judging from reviews of earlier stays and comments from the locals, it seems that the former, dismal manager is no longer there. Hudson House is vastly preferable to Plumbush Inn, where we stayed on a prior visit, in terms of room conditions, location and, above all, service.

• Stayed February 2007
3 Thank maryTokyo
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed October 24, 2006

Bottom Line: Don't stay here

I would like to address the incredible disappointment I have experienced during my stay at the Hudson House. I made the reservations to stay at the Hudson House in July of 2005 for the weekend of October 6-October 9, 2006 (please see attached confirmation letter). My wife and I originally planned to stay in the area for two nights, but due to the Hudson House’s mandatory three night stay we decided to take Monday off (a holiday neither of our work places granted). We booked our flight arrangements and rental car around this schedule as well. Fifteen months in advance of our stay.

The quality of our room was mediocre at best. It is located in a beautiful location, but the furniture was worn out, the bed was small and sagging, and the bathroom left much to be desired. I could not justify spending $200 a night to stay in the room, but could understand the desirability of the location along the Hudson River.

The service we experienced was abysmal. I can only think of one other time that I have been treated that poorly and it was in a combat zone. The managers’ attitude when we first arrived was one of irritation that she had to check us in and rush us through signing a no smoking policy. It took forever to check in. In hindsight I think I know why. On the day of our final stay we received a phone call in the afternoon telling us that we were not scheduled to stay there that final night and that they had moved all of our personal belongings into a linen closet. The manager explained that the house was booked and someone had made reservations three months prior. I explained that I had made reservations 15 months prior and had the letter confirming that. Furthermore I explained that both my wife and I had missed work and rented a rental car for an extra day in order to fulfill their mandatory three day reservation policy. I also asked for an inventory of all the personal items that they had taken out of the room and placed in the linen closet. They did not have one. I am not a big fan of strangers handling my personal items and my wife’s jewelry. The manager on duty was very snooty in her responses and accused us of being loud the night before at three in the morning-as if that excused all of her screw ups to this point. When I pointed out to her that my wife and I had walked in at 9:58 pm walked upstairs and gone to bed at 10:03pm, she just muttered sorry that it must have been someone else, which indeed it was-I woke up when I heard them crashing around the paper thin walls at 3 am as well. I am not a big fan of false accusations either. Instead of spending a romantic evening together along the Hudson River, I am now in a linen closet, inventorying my personal belongings, repacking my bags, and contacting friends to spend the night with. Fortunately they were able to oblige, and they had a more comfortable guest bed anyways.

After we finished repacking our bags, I went downstairs to talk to the manager. I confirmed that they only charged me for two nights. She also told me that she would contact the owners and explain the situation to them and we would talk about a refund. I asked when I could expect to hear from them. She explained (in a very arrogant manner) that I should hear something by Friday, October 13. I curtly thanked her and drove another 45 minutes to stay at a friends’ house.

On October 13, I called the Hudson House since they obviously were not going to call me. The manager told me the same story and confirmed that we would hear from them by Friday, October 20. It is now October 24 and I have heard nothing. At this point I realized I was not dealing with a six sigma organization, despite six sigma costs. My wife contacted American Express to contest the charges. American Express was shocked at the treatment we received and agreed to take it up with the hotel through their claims department. The service and care the AMEX agent expressed was a welcome relief to the customer service dealings we had experienced with the Hudson House. I am a new AMEX user and was unaware of this service, but I can assure you that I will always try to pay with AMEX in the future.

As a temporary resident of Silicon Valley, I have come to see the power of the internet. I logged onto tripadvisor.com to view some of the ratings of the Hudson House. To my shock I found that someone had a similar experience to ours in the realm of booking for three days and being told they could only stay for one. I am not sure of the Hudson House’s business model, but overbooking at a 12 room B&B does not generate the same revenues that the airlines enjoy from overbooking. It simply infuriates otherwise good customers.

The manager’s behavior to me was inexcusable. Her disdain, disorganization, and general snootiness would not be tolerated in any organization I led. As an active duty Infantry Officer (she knew this because I wore my uniform to a Parade Saturday and a formal Friday night), I am used to dealing with tough talk, harsh conditions, and uncertainty. I don’t expect to deal with those same conditions within my own Country at a Bed and Breakfast I am paying a lot of money to visit. I might not be the wealthiest client that has passed through the Hudson House, but I feel that I still deserve to be treated with the courtesy, dignity, and respect that I received at the Motel 6 when I was driving across the Country-a Country that I have fought for.

The Banana Pancakes are really good.

• Liked — Location and Pancakes
  • Disliked — Service
  • Tips/Secrets — Book somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2006
10 Thank Veracity

Travelers are raving about these Cold Spring hotels

New York, New York
Reviewed September 7, 2006

We were very disappointed with the treatment of the hotel management. We booked our reservations three weeks in advance for Labor Day weekend. They told us over the phone that they had only the most expensive room in the Inn available, and that there was a three night guaranteed minimum with rates 20% higher than they posted on their website. We reluctantly decided to book the room, since they seemed to be the best place to stay in Cold Spring and Labor Day weekend was fast approaching . . .

We arrived on Friday afternoon and were told upon check-in that they only had us reserved for a single night's stay (all the other rooms were booked for the entire weekend of course) . When they implied that the mix up was on our end, we asked them how could that be when they required a three night minimum booking. They had no answer for us other than to take the room for one night and hope for cancelations for the other nights. Since we arrived by train and had no car, we decided to chance it. Fortunately, another room did open up the next night because of the weather. However, I found one of the managers who I believe was an owner to be rude and generally unhelpful instead of apologetic during our stay. For example, she made clear that the Inn would take no responsibility for luggage we stowed in their unlocked closet on check out day (fortunately nothing was stolen).

Overall, we really enjoyed the hiking and outdoor attractions offered in Cold Spring, but would not stay at the Hudson House Inn again. It is very overpriced and disorganized compared to comparable Inns and B&Bs at which we have stayed.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Just about everything else -- primarily the service and cost
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank psp18
Reviewed October 21, 2005

Great visit. Historic inn with amazing views - located right on the Hudson River. Casualness was a nice alternative to NYC. Restaurant recently got a new chef - food was excellent, with great wine list.

• Stayed October 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 24, 2005

The hotel itself was fine, as was the restaurant. Our lasting memory will be the ticket we received at the speed trap set for tourists in this town. We were caught in the trap one night and noticed the next day the same locals were at it morning and night. Please exercise care when driving in this area

• Stayed June 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 23, 2005

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Hudson House and enjoyed beautiful weather and hiking. Near the train and the smalll downtown strip along Main St., the Hudson House was very convenient and affordable. The breakfast tasted wonderful. The service, from start to finish was both very friendly and very unprofessional. The rooms were pretty cheaply furnished, though the effort was clearly there. We had to wait about 6-8 mins to even check in when we arrived because the front desk person and the floor manager were running all over the dining room assisting the patrons. When we went to check out, still no one at the desk. The bathroom had no towel rack. Please! Small details and better training for the personel would have made a good experience even better.

• Stayed July 2005
The Inn And Spa At Beacon
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Point
Quality Inn & Suites Fishkill
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Peekskill - Hudson Valley

Been to Hudson House Inn? Share your experiences!