Hudson House Inn
Countryside Motel(Cold Spring)
$75
The Thayer Hotel(West Point)
$201
Cancelon
  • Restaurant
West Point Motel(Highland Falls)
$120
FairBridge Inn & Suites(Highland Falls)
$139
Cadet Motel(Cornwall)
$69
$67
Windsor Motel(New Windsor)
$80
$69
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Point(Fort Montgomery)(Great Value!)
$145
HIExpress.com
$80
Roundhouse(Beacon)
$229
$222
$319
  • Spa
All reviewswest pointquaint roomsmetro northgreat innone night stayexcellent breakfastbagelsbalconydressernyc
Reviewed November 7, 2011

We’ve been coming to The Hudson House Inn for many years. It’s also where my husband proposed to me, so it's a place with great sentimental value for us, as well. However, after our last experience at the inn, I’m sad to say we will not be back. I have never written a review before, but was so disappointed at how the owner handled us on this most recent visit, I felt compelled to write.

We booked the stay well in advance, and it was going to be our first night away as a couple since the birth of our daughter. As it happened, turned out this weekend was the first bad storm of the season. We never imagined we’d be getting any kind of real snow in October. So although we knew the weather wasn’t going to be great in the 24 hours preceding our stay, we also know the inn has a cancellation policy, so we decided to make the most of it anyway.

Three hours after we checked in, the entire inn lost power. No heat, no hot water and no electricity. Frankly, we were shocked that a business of this size with a full restaurant did not have a back-up generator. It must be said the manager on duty, Rich, did his very best to keep everyone in positive spirits and they were even able to cobble together some sandwiches for the customers huddled in the dark dining room. But we couldn’t shower, and the entire inn was pitch black except for a few tea candles to guide us around the room. We were also freezing all night, as the room had no heat. My husband and I had been so excited to sleep late for the first time in a year since having the baby, and instead, we truthfully couldn’t get out of there fast enough in the morning. We departed at 7:30am feeling cold, dirty and hungry (part of the rate included a breakfast, but with no power, there was no breakfast forthcoming that morning).

We made it clear when we left that we were very disappointed. Stuff happens, we understand that. But the rate we paid was to include basic services like heat, a hot shower, electricity, etc. and that we didn’t feel we should have to pay for what was an indoor camping experience. It’s not what we signed up for and we made it clear that if the owner disagreed with our point of view on this, we asked to be contacted.

Instead, we checked our statement to find we had been insultingly billed fully for the room with not so much as a phone call. We called to inquire about the charge and instead of the owner speaking to us directly, she had someone call us back to speak for her. Her message was loud, clear and not the least bit hospitable. We were told we should have seen the forecast and we could have cancelled and that it was our own fault that we decided to come. Shame on us for not having guessed there'd be no power, I guess. I suppose the forecast should have also included that the Hudson House didn’t have the business sense to purchase a gas generator. That would have also been useful information for the poor couple who were supposed to have a rehearsal dinner at the inn's restaurant that same night. I guess that was their fault, too.

Talk about missing the big picture; this is simple Hospitality 101. We are so bummed because unfortunately their short-sighted business sense has ruined what was a lovely ongoing tradition. There are several other lovely B&B’s in the area and I would recommend going elsewhere if you are planning a trip to Cold Spring. There's simply no need to go to Hudson House.

Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
15  Thank Ctravels123
Reviewed October 31, 2011

On the night of the severe Halloween blizzard, we had to get off the Taconic, Rte 84 was closed and Rte 9 was a parking lot. We were stranded in Cold Spring in horendous cold, blizzardlike conditions. Gracious townfolk at the Pizza place suggested we knock on the doors at Harbor House, since power was out and phones were not working. The door was open and the innkeeper was lighting candles. He then told us he was closed, he had no rooms, and we should sleep in our car in the train station parking lot. Clearly he was open for some, but not for others. In an emergency this was a real cold shoulder. We would have gladly paid full room rates for a blanket on a sofa or on the floor.
Under these circumstances, I would have opened my private HOME to stranded, freezing travelers. If he is ever stranded in a remote town, I hope others provide a more humane example for him and his family.

Room Tip: Don't bother even stopping.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank mondoroc
HudsonHouseInn, Manager at Hudson House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2011

We are sorry that your visit to Cold Spring coincided with a horrendous "Noreaster" in October no less. We are also sorry that we were fully booked and did not have accomodations for you to stay over. We would also like to apologize that in a state of emergency a local business advised you to come to Hudson House when the entire county was pretty much out of power. Cold Spring Fire and Police Departments which are within walking distances would have been much better options given the circumstances. With that said we feel it would have been irresponsible of the Hudson House to try and take care of any more patrons than our registered guests. Our priority was to keep every registered guest safe and secure- we were fully out of power- no heat, hot water, etc............we have one fireplace in our main building with just enough seating around it for our registered guests.
Over 180,000 Central Hudson residences and businesses were out of power throughout the Hudson Valley we feel the Hudson House did an outstanding job to there abilities of taking care of there guests who stayed with us through the weekend. We do understand your frustrations of coming to an inn and finding that it is fully booked.

Reviewed August 23, 2011

My husband and I combined a business trip with "couple time" and were looking for somewhere other than a chain hotel for our time alone. Reading mixed reviews nearly made us eliminate this inn, but we were so glad that we gave it a chance! First, be aware that this is a HISTORIC inn...meaning it is old, charming, and you will not find flat screen televisions, central a/c, and wireless connection. You WILL find courteous and attentive staff, very comfortable beds, clean rooms, a stunning view of the Hudson River and West Point, a delicious breakfast (included) that you can order off the menu, and a plethora of cute shops and restaurants to while away your leisure time. If you like experiencing the hospitality of times past, you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: River facing rooms have best view.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2011

I did not stay here myself, as I live in Cold Spring. However, I joined a colleague who stayed here for a sumptious dinner. Sat on the porch overlooking the Hudson. It was on the expensive side, so we were thankful for our expense accounts! But everything we had was wonderful. The report on the hotel rooms was not good. I saw the room myself- it was in bad need of sprucing up. The shower needed grouting. I was embarassed as I had recommended it as a place to stay.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 29, 2011

This B&B is the best located in Cold Spring, within walking distance of everything. The staff was absolutely wonderful! Mina, the manager, was friendly, helpful, and very hard-working! When my friend experienced an upset stomach, Mina couldn't do enough to help - including bringing her glasses of ginger ale and finding bagels and bread (even when the kitchen was closed). The building is historic. Most everything is updated, though there are traces of times gone by (perfectly adequate TVs are the old box style, not flat screens). Very clean and quiet.

Complimentary breakfasts were served by friendly, cheerful staff, and were delicious and filling (and healthy!). The lunch menu is varied and we had lunch on the outdoor porch overlooking the Hudson River and town gazebo, watching couples and children playing in the park. Our meals were delicious and beautifully presented.

Mina knows the area very well and gave us excellent information and suggestions as to what to do in the vicinity. When we returned from entertaining theater at Boscobel, she helped us find a restaurant that was open late (it was mid-week, so many places closed by 9 pm).

This is not a Ritz-Carlton, but a charming B&B, so you should expect homey, comfortable appointments. The queen bed was comfortable and so were the pillows. There is a window air conditioner in the room, which cools off pretty quickly.

Prices are competitive and reasonable, especially in light of the included breakfast.

If you want a lovely getaway to a charming inn and an even more charming town, this is the place. Be advised that many stores are not open mid-week, even during the summer.

Room Tip: Riverview is lovely
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends