“Despite bad reviews here, it was perfectly acceptable!”

Comfort Inn Latham/Albany North
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cohoes
Reviewed December 16, 2009

My husband and I recently stayed at the Hampton Inn on the Latham line when we went to visit family. We stay at hotels frequently in the area, but this was our first time at this property. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and the staff was friendly. Despite being on a major road, you never heard the noise while you were in your room. We didn't spend much time in the room since we were visiting family. We only slept, got ready in the morning and took advantage of the breakfast (waffels were fine, eggs were gross) and the coffee. The in-room TV could be updated, but it was doable for the little amount of TV we watched. It was resonably priced and I would gladly stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 16, 2009

I have rarely been less than fully satisfied with my stays at Hampton Inns, but this was the exception to the rule. We arrived after midnight as a result of a two hour flight delay, to find the front door to the hotel locked. After rousing the receptionist and being admitted, we learned that my room, which had been fully paid for in advance through Expedia (non-refundable), had been 'released' by this receptionist as a no-show (!). Scraping the bottom of the barrel, we were given a room next to a very noisy vending machine, the sound of which we decided to override with the slightly louder but less irritating fan noise of the archaic heating/cooling unit in the room. In other respects the room and hotel were adequate. Since United also lost our luggage, we requested and were given toothbrushes and toothpast by the receptionist. The breakfast was OK, including scrambled eggs along with the usual continental fare, and the amount of dining-area seating was satisfactory. The hotel and surrounding grounds felt safe. The proximity to Albany Airport and the major interstate highways was a plus.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed February 21, 2009

Location isn't great. They are on the edge of a 4 lane road with no sidewalks so you can't go for a run. I was also there back in the summer of last year and while there is a scenic nature area behind the hotel that provides a 0.4 mile walk it was infested with mosquitoes and I got bit pretty bad. The walk area did not look usable in the winter with all the snow out there. The hotel itself is good. Staff is okay, breakfast is typical Hampton Inn meals. I also couldn't get the Internet working on this last trip.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank aspex
Reviewed January 22, 2009

I've stayed at this hotel about 6 times last year. It was satisfactory, until my last stay 2 days after Christmas. I went to check in at 6 am, and the receptionist questioned me for 5 minutes before letting me in. She then said it was because she didn't want "random people in their hotel". Even after I told her I was here to check in, even after I gave her my name. Even after i told her I already spoke to someone earlier in the day.
I contacted Corporate, and was happy when they said they'd look into it. Not so happy when the persont hey put in charge to deal with it WAS THE SAME PERSON I HAD ISSUES WITH!!! She told them she spoke to me and everything was taken care of. They closed the file and had the nerve to send me a survey. I will never stay here again and if you're black, beware: APPARENTLY IT'S THEIR POLICY TO INTERROGATE YOU IF YOU ARRIVE PAST MIDNIGHT!

• Stayed: December 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 15, 2009

This is a very old and rundown hotel. The rooms are musty, dark and cold. The heat only worked if I had it turned up really high, then I would suffocate. Meanwhile, I couldn't leave it off because it's record cold this week with below zero temperatures and the room froze immediately.
My room smelled of old carpet, old bed linens and pillows and it was just depressing. There is no wireless in the rooms, only in the lobby area. The internet cord is screwed to the wall at the desk and I can't even move my laptop an inch from the desk. I'm forced to do my work sitting in the uncomfortable, old, hard chair at the desk with an obstructed view of the TV. Normally, I come back to hotels after a long day of work on the road and relax on the bed with my laptop and wireless service. This is a huge inconvenience. I wouldn't mind this if the internet cord was longer than one foot!
The toilet barely flushes and the rest of the bathroom is just old an dingy.
The halls are dark and depressing, carpeting is worn and dirty all throughout the hotel. It's just not a nice place, esthetically and comfort wise, to stay.
The staff is very friendly and accommodating, so nothing against them.
I will most likely stay at another Hilton brand hotel in another area next time.
Hilton should really arrange plans to fix this place up. They definitely lost my business at this hotel for my next trip out here.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed March 1, 2008

We stay in this hotel regularly, ever since it opened several years ago. It used to be the best place we stay, without exception. Until the past four or five stays. Now we find plumbing and fixtures that need maintenance or replacement, noisy (random noise that wakes you up, not just loud) heat, cold rooms that do not heat up no matter what the thermostat setting, drapes with missing cords, and tv remotes that do not work. It is past time that the Hilton corporation steps in and makes the necessary changes here.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2007

This is by far one of the worst hotels that I have stayed in. The good: Nice lobby, awesome front desk staff and the bus load of Canadian senior citizen tourists that arrived when I checked in.
The bad: narrow dark corridors that reeked of cigarette smoke, smelled like a bar. Confusing way to find the elevator.
The ugly: tiny room with poorly thought out furniture selection. When the TV wardrobe door is open, you either jam your ankle into the corner to get around it or you climb on the bed or you close the door. They have internet but have so many cables and a connection but only one works. Customer support for the internet help asks for a pass key. I don't even know my zip code! How am I going to know my hotel passkey.
The screen on the window had about an inch of dead flies accumulated, the A/C unit made so much noise I thought it was going to explode.
The really ugly: the shower head was loose on the wall with a visible hole in it. As a single female traveler, I was left to wonder if it was due to poor workmanship or a hidden camera.
Very noisy at night with slamming doors, mostly male sales type as guests except for the retirees.
I just didn't feel safe or comfortable. The manager did refund my money and appologized for all the problems.

Stayed: October 2007
3  Thank donjuana
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cohoes
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham
The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel
La Quinta Inn & Suites Latham Albany Airport
Quality Inn & Suites Albany Airport
Hotel Indigo Albany-Latham
Hilton Garden Inn Troy

Been to Comfort Inn Latham/Albany North? Share your experiences!