“Food, fair--Service, unacceptable”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Hilton, NY
“Food, fair--Service, unacceptable”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed at the attached Best Western & ended up having to eat at Delaney's since there aren't too many other options in Cobleskill at 8PM on a Saturday night. The long & the short of the whole experience is we waited almost a full hour for our food! In fact, everyone in the tiny dining area waited. I almost felt ashamed when our food arrived & others were still waiting.. Yikes, an hour?! When food did come it was OK at best. Note, other reviewers have had the same experience.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank djmes

Rochester, New York
“Don't waste your money!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband and I are in Cobleskill quite frequently and decided on one of our recent visits that we would see if Delaney's had improved since our last visit which was more than a year before. Unfortunately, we made a bad choice, it was a waste of our money and time. As soon as we walked in the front door we were hit with the smell of chlorine from the pool situated nearby. I chose the luncheon special advertised on the Best Western's marquee and wound up sending it back to the kitchen, which I have never done before. My choice was a turkey and cranberry burger. The presentation was terrible and unappealing. The turkey burger wound up being a frozen patty served on an open roll. There was a pool of grease on the top of the patty and a very thin layer of some kind of cranberry spread on the roll, no garnish on the plate or lettuce and tomato on the sandwich; instead, only small potato chips (packaged brand) spread out on the plate. I did taste it and it was awful. The waitress did offer to replace my sandwich and not to charge me. My second choice was a turkey sandwich which turned out of a deli turkey variety.

2 Thank Linda A
Woodridge, New York
“Would not return”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

We went to this hotel on the first night to get drinks and dessert (we were staying in the hotel). The drinks were very weak and the server seemed more interested in flirting with the guys in the bar then checking on us. On the second day, we went for breakfast only because I had a coupon for a free meal and my step-mom had a $10 off certificate. I ordered a pineapple juice and it had something floating in it so I sent it back. When I received the second glass, it had black stuff floating in it. I told the waitress when she came back that I didn't want another (I could hear her talking badly about the incident when she went back into the kitchen). The food tasted like diner food and we were not impressed. This waitress was friendly to our faces and answered my questions about local destinations. I would not return to this restaurant if I were in the area again.

2 Thank hmhmec
NYC, NY
“Hopeful For Further Improvement...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Most prior reviews are not flattering, so I offer this information as a positive, hopeful (and critical) update. If you read the reviews for the hotel that is attached to the restaurant (Best Western Plus Inn of Cobleskill), a number of those reviews mention BW Delaney's also. One of the management responses to a recent review for the hotel (by STACY D - April 14, 2013) basically states that there is new management focusing a lot of time and resources on the restaurant.

What I found on our visit is this: They apparently have increased the staff, and they are friendly, attentive and efficient. The food was very reasonably priced. The view is nice and the seating provides plenty of elbow room. Unfortunately, we too found the food mediocre overall (some hits, some misses).

Dinner: I can best compare some of it to improperly prepared diner food. I don't fault the staff for the outcome of the food, as they can only work with what they're given. I am guessing that they're working with a deep fryer and a microwave for everything. That works fine for chicken tenders and french fries (which were GOOD), but makes for a very greasy hamburger (running down your chin greasy). The Cobb salad was not bad.

Breakfast: The buffet (the most expensive choice available at a normally reasonable $8.95) was what is offered for free at most Best Westerns (they did have a few extra items not usually seen). When it's free, you can't really complain when the bacon is like beef jerky, the sausage patties dried up, and the hash browns are just cubed potatoes that look boiled. The menu choices were cheaper and actually VERY GOOD. The kids ate for next to nothing ($3.00 for chocolate chip pancakes, real sausage links, and juice), and the cherry french toast was TASTY! Most items were $5 or less and the sides were GOOD (except the bacon).

It seems some important positive improvements have been made, and we hope they are going to focus on the food next. It is a nice location and really has potential for locals and guests. Compared to some recent reviews by other customers, I feel there is a marked improvement.

Pros:
Attached to the hotel (if you're a guest on a rainy day, you don't have to venture out)
Pleasant view
Spacious seating
Friendly/attentive staff
Reasonably priced
Very good breakfast menu

Cons:
Food still needs improvement
Not-so-good breakfast buffet

3 Thank wwwkenorg
Grantham, New Hampshire
“Fills the Void”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Staff (2 on a Saturday night) friendly. BUT, spent a lot of time somewhere (?), not on the floor. I had to tell the bartender how to mix a Manhattan! She and the on waitress on duty, no name tags, disappeared for minutes on end. I spent a lot of time waiting at the bar and looking for them . Menu had "dinner" items on it, but having read reviews here, they didn't look like stuff the kitchen would be be able to turn out as tasty entrees, so I went for "bourbon burger". I was able to sub sweet potato FF for regular without adding them. Still charged the extra. Had a 10% discount coupon, but it wasn't clear on the bill if it was actually subtracted.

Waited for service even after place emptied out. Burger was advertised to come
with pickles, which were not in evidence. This shows kitchen lazy attitude.

TRAIN STAFF, PARE MENU!

Not looking for gourmet, but they could serve a decent meal well if they concentrated on the customer, from back to front of he house.

YOU NEED AN EXPERIENCED, CARING MANAGER!

Don't eat breakfast here; go down to Cobleskill Diner past laundry on right down the hill. It was a great diner!

• Visited April 2013