“Spend your money elsewhere...”

The Inn at the Peak
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clymer
Fairport
“Spend your money elsewhere...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2009

We just spent two nights at the Inn at Peek'n Peak (two adults + 4 teenagers). The check-in process was easy enough but there is a LOT of equipment/bag schlepping as the rooms can be relatively far away from the lobby. The room was well worn but clean...pretty typical for an old ski resort. Shower grout was new and clean, floor grout was old and grungy. The hill is pretty small (we walked up it in about 20 minutes before the lifts opened to take advantage of some new powder) and most runs aren't overly scenic. No wait for the chairs while we were there 12/26-28.

We did have a snowboard stolen in the first 4 hours and a nike dryfit shirt the next day (in the hot tub area). Not the PnP's fault but just a warning not to bring anything too nice to this resort. Equipment that is run of the mill at Mont Tremblant will be considered high end here.

My main complaint is the service. Let me preface this by saying that I'm pretty laid back and generally sympathetic towards people in the service industry so I'm not some sort of self-centered hard nose. The workers were generally extremely nice but completely untrained to provide a level of service that is customary elsewhere. The food service in the pub was terrible as was the food. Exact same poor service in Piazola's restaurant and bar. Rental shop workers were generally spaced out and inattentive. Rental shop cashier was snappy. Lift operators didn't pay attention to what was going on. It really seemed that there was a serious lack of focus on customer service. Overall, this decreased the enjoyment of the vacation immensely and we will never return to PkP.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank awh01

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2009

We purchased a spa getaway package. We were very impressed with the scenery and hotel but were disappointed in our room. It is in dire need of updating--probably hasn’t had a makeover for many years. The walls are paper thin. We spent half the night listening to feet stomping above us and loud noises in the hallway outside our door. For the most part (with the exception of a couple of crabby employees) the people were pleasant and very helpful.

The check in experience was ok and the people there were nice enough although for the money we spent, we would have appreciated a warmer welcome.

We had a rather unfriendly reception at our spa check in, though. The people seemed rather cold and disinterested—not a fun experience! The massage went well, though and we were pretty satisfied with that.

About the best thing I can say for our visit is our dining experience was fabulous. The waiter we had was first class all the way! Our service and meal were top notch. We also appreciated the many fire places with great views of the outdoors.

I would probably recommend this to a friend but I would add some advice for a better experience, such as “be sure to get a room away from the noise”, and “not everyone is friendly there”.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
philadelphia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2009

We went to the peek for a wedding. Our room had mold in it . The other room had bees. I would not recommend this resort for anyone, It also had no elevators.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Menomonee Falls, WI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2009

We got lost finding the resort as the addess that PnP sent to us had the wrong city (it's not in Findley Lake). Our room was in the main lodge. The lodge is beautiful from the outside (flowers, vines growing, structure on hotel).
We had to walk up 3 sets of steps (about 7 steps each). Since I just had abdominal surgery, I couldn't carry anything up the stairs and you can't park close to your room. I mentioned that I had surgery and was there an elevator? She just said no and didn't offer us any assistance.
I think our room was last updated in the '70s. It looked clean but the decor makes it seem old! My daughter said the hotel and room reminded her of the Shining (I had to agree)! They are in the process of remodeling rooms-book one of those rooms.
My husband and son golfed both courses and really liked them. My daughter and I wanted an "adventure." We talked to the concierge who couldn't come up with anything except dirve to Erie because they have standard shops and restaurants (we have that at home), so we jumped in the car looking for Amish Farms. We say a few which was exciting to us. If you want to go to various places to eat and shop--this isn't the place--it's very remote.
They have a nice patio. We took snacks and drinks and played cards.
We ate in the pub 2 nights, and it was very good. Waitress was great!
We also enjoyed a relaxing afternoon by the pool. We wanted to go to the spa; they only had one opening in 2 days for a facial. Call ahead of time and book.
One more thing---we wanted to do laundry. The have 1 washer and 1 dryer for the whole main lodge. We counted 26 (stair) steps--it took 2 hours for the close to dry (we had 4 batches). We did let the staff know this.
We did have a great time---lots of quality family time.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2009

A group of 8 women travelled to pknpk for a 3 night golf etc getaway. We stayed in one of the 4 bedroom Canturbury woods condos. Everyone had their own bed! It was wonderful. Our meals were terrific (thanks Stacy, Dennis, Zack and Adam), we just had a great time. The band Fri And Sat was just right! The place was clean, lovely, roomy and stocked beyond our expectation. Even HD tv... Some golfed upper, all golfed the lower. Some had spa treatments, others toured the area sites. We have been other places but this suited our needs perfectly.
One beware... upon our departure we asked to see a room in the Inn .. for some to come back with just their husbands... Couldn't recommend. The room we were shown was very typical hotel room, and very dated and stale. Too bad because we were thrilled by our overall experience and the condo,

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Cleveland, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2009

We just returned from our stay at Peek 'n Peak. We took advantage of their 4th of July Family Fun pack which included two nights stay, 4 passes for miniature golf, $50 dining credit, and passes for pool, kids play area and camp for kids on Saturday. We initially had reservations at the Fairways Suites but wanted something closer. The manager let us look at two different rooms at the Inn before we made our decision. We were unhappy with the rooms at the Inn (very muggy and smelled) so she offered us a condo for the same price! It was unbelieveable especially since we got so much more room, a full kitchen, washer/dryer and two bathrooms all for the same price!!!

My 4 year old loved it! He enjoyed both the indoor and outdoor pool, loved camp and miniature golf. He also enjoyed the boat ride on the Chautauqua Belle at Chautauqua Lake (he got to meet the captain and "drive" the boat).

We were also pleased with the concierge service. Mr. Paolo was very knowledgeable and very friendly. He recommended great restaurants and things to do.

I can't say enough about the Sunday Brunch - there was a LOT of food and a great variety. The theme was Tuscany and I'm told the theme changes every Sunday.

Aside for the renovation that the rooms at the Inn desperately need, the resort is a great weekend getaway.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Lake Villa, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2009

It had been years since I visited Peek-n-Peak. I had flown into Cleveland to spend a weekend with my family and girl friend at the Peek.

From the outside, the resort gives an "at home" feeling with the English style Tudor design. Once inside the building you will experience a completely different experience.

The first night we stayed in a Balcony Suite with two beds upstairs and a pull out queen bed from the couch. With 4 adults and 2 children the accommodations are way to cramp. The rooms are in dire need of renovations. I doubt any updates have been done for at least 20 years. Wall paper peeling off the walls, carpet with stains, tiles in bathroom dirty, fixtures out of the 70's, just overall worn out feeling. This was not just our room as I looked into other rooms as they were being cleaned for the next guest.

My girlfriend and I took the pull out bed. The mattress was practically non existent. We could feel the metal frame and cross bars digging into our backs. I called the front desk for another mattress to place under the original one. After some back and forth conversations they finally agreed to bring another mattress up. The problem was it was smaller than the first mattress which keep us from sleeping anywhere near the edges and even with the second mattress the bed was horrible.

My family took the upstairs beds. They all complained about the poor mattress there as well.

The heating system is located towards the loft area. Upstairs was very hot while downstairs it was quite chilly. This made it difficult to set a proper temperature for sleeping.

There was a group of rowdy individuals during our first night. I could hear everything being said as the walls are paper thin and the gap under the door allows noise to easily enter the room. The group was so rowdy that the State Trooper had to be called by the Inn. This went on from 1230 am thru 230 am. Between the horrible mattress and partying guests with 4 letter words being yelled about, I felt exhausted the next day.

I went and spoke with the manager. He was very receptive to my issues and concerns. We were given a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo at no extra charge which was like night and day from where we were staying. The next two nights were uneventful and we had a wonderful time.

Due to the high nightly cost of the condos ($450) and the very poor conditions of the main lodge rooms I would suggest staying at the new Holiday Inn Express located approximately 10 minutes away. They have an indoor pool, free high speed Internet, and complimentary continental breakfast. I had a reservation there until we were offered the condo and then I cancelled it.

We had my birthday dinner at the Blue Heron in "downtown" Findley Lake. This is a B&B with an attached restaurant that seats around 30. Food was OK but nothing to write home about. The breakfast at Peek-n-Peak's main lodge is reasonable. Dinner is over priced.

The ONLY reason I gave this 2 stars versus 1 is how the manager handled my concerns. Had he not offered to move us to the condos we all would have checked out for the next two nights and 1 star would be appropriate.

• Liked — Moving out of the Inn to the condos.
  • Disliked — Out dated accommodations. Noisy guests.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clymer
Holiday Inn Express Findley Lake
Cobblestone Inn and Suites
The Spencer Hotel and Spa
The Spencer Hotel and Spa
#1 of 6 in Chautauqua
Holiday Inn Express & Suites North East
Sheraton Erie Bayfront Hotel
Baymont Inn & Suites Erie

Been to The Inn at the Peak? Share your experiences!