“Had a terrific time”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clymer
ontario
“Had a terrific time”
Reviewed July 19, 2009

A group of 8 women travelled to pknpk for a 3 night golf etc getaway. We stayed in one of the 4 bedroom Canturbury woods condos. Everyone had their own bed! It was wonderful. Our meals were terrific (thanks Stacy, Dennis, Zack and Adam), we just had a great time. The band Fri And Sat was just right! The place was clean, lovely, roomy and stocked beyond our expectation. Even HD tv... Some golfed upper, all golfed the lower. Some had spa treatments, others toured the area sites. We have been other places but this suited our needs perfectly.
One beware... upon our departure we asked to see a room in the Inn .. for some to come back with just their husbands... Couldn't recommend. The room we were shown was very typical hotel room, and very dated and stale. Too bad because we were thrilled by our overall experience and the condo,

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed July 5, 2009

We just returned from our stay at Peek 'n Peak. We took advantage of their 4th of July Family Fun pack which included two nights stay, 4 passes for miniature golf, $50 dining credit, and passes for pool, kids play area and camp for kids on Saturday. We initially had reservations at the Fairways Suites but wanted something closer. The manager let us look at two different rooms at the Inn before we made our decision. We were unhappy with the rooms at the Inn (very muggy and smelled) so she offered us a condo for the same price! It was unbelieveable especially since we got so much more room, a full kitchen, washer/dryer and two bathrooms all for the same price!!!

My 4 year old loved it! He enjoyed both the indoor and outdoor pool, loved camp and miniature golf. He also enjoyed the boat ride on the Chautauqua Belle at Chautauqua Lake (he got to meet the captain and "drive" the boat).

We were also pleased with the concierge service. Mr. Paolo was very knowledgeable and very friendly. He recommended great restaurants and things to do.

I can't say enough about the Sunday Brunch - there was a LOT of food and a great variety. The theme was Tuscany and I'm told the theme changes every Sunday.

Aside for the renovation that the rooms at the Inn desperately need, the resort is a great weekend getaway.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Lake Villa, Illinois
Reviewed February 16, 2009

It had been years since I visited Peek-n-Peak. I had flown into Cleveland to spend a weekend with my family and girl friend at the Peek.

From the outside, the resort gives an "at home" feeling with the English style Tudor design. Once inside the building you will experience a completely different experience.

The first night we stayed in a Balcony Suite with two beds upstairs and a pull out queen bed from the couch. With 4 adults and 2 children the accommodations are way to cramp. The rooms are in dire need of renovations. I doubt any updates have been done for at least 20 years. Wall paper peeling off the walls, carpet with stains, tiles in bathroom dirty, fixtures out of the 70's, just overall worn out feeling. This was not just our room as I looked into other rooms as they were being cleaned for the next guest.

My girlfriend and I took the pull out bed. The mattress was practically non existent. We could feel the metal frame and cross bars digging into our backs. I called the front desk for another mattress to place under the original one. After some back and forth conversations they finally agreed to bring another mattress up. The problem was it was smaller than the first mattress which keep us from sleeping anywhere near the edges and even with the second mattress the bed was horrible.

My family took the upstairs beds. They all complained about the poor mattress there as well.

The heating system is located towards the loft area. Upstairs was very hot while downstairs it was quite chilly. This made it difficult to set a proper temperature for sleeping.

There was a group of rowdy individuals during our first night. I could hear everything being said as the walls are paper thin and the gap under the door allows noise to easily enter the room. The group was so rowdy that the State Trooper had to be called by the Inn. This went on from 1230 am thru 230 am. Between the horrible mattress and partying guests with 4 letter words being yelled about, I felt exhausted the next day.

I went and spoke with the manager. He was very receptive to my issues and concerns. We were given a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo at no extra charge which was like night and day from where we were staying. The next two nights were uneventful and we had a wonderful time.

Due to the high nightly cost of the condos ($450) and the very poor conditions of the main lodge rooms I would suggest staying at the new Holiday Inn Express located approximately 10 minutes away. They have an indoor pool, free high speed Internet, and complimentary continental breakfast. I had a reservation there until we were offered the condo and then I cancelled it.

We had my birthday dinner at the Blue Heron in "downtown" Findley Lake. This is a B&B with an attached restaurant that seats around 30. Food was OK but nothing to write home about. The breakfast at Peek-n-Peak's main lodge is reasonable. Dinner is over priced.

The ONLY reason I gave this 2 stars versus 1 is how the manager handled my concerns. Had he not offered to move us to the condos we all would have checked out for the next two nights and 1 star would be appropriate.

• Liked — Moving out of the Inn to the condos.
  • Disliked — Out dated accommodations. Noisy guests.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cleveland
Reviewed January 16, 2009

Just got back late tonight, Friday Jan. 16, 2009. My wife + I (and 4 adolescent kids) checked in yesterday (Thursday) afternoon with a 1 night "stay + play" package. For $239 we booked a "Balcony Suite" with 2 queen beds upstairs and a pull-out sofa bed that sleeps two, and that included lift tickets for 2 adults and 4 adolescents for both Thursday and Friday!! A great deal!! And, since we did not want to be "squeezed" and all jockeying for the 1 bathroom on Friday morning, I cut a deal with the Front Desk for a second "Balcony Suite" for $85. Now we had all kinds of room and a second full bath. A little dated, yes, but come on, this is a "skiing resort" in the winter. If want to stay at The Ritz for a weekend with my wife I GO THERE and drop $300+ per night. That is not what this place is about. We skied Thurs. evening till 8 pm in frigid but tremendous conditions, then went and unwound at the indoor-outdoor hot tub, pool and sauna. Ordered some pizza and wings, etc. and all was good. This morning (Friday) had a hearty breakfast at The Inn, skied all day till about 6pm, then returned to the indoor-outdoor hot tub, pool and sauna for two hours till about 8pm. Then drove 1 and a half hours home to Cleveland. Easy, inexpensive, and a lot of good, clean fun. YOU CAN'T DUPLICATE THIS MUCH FUN AT THIS PRICE AT A PLACE AS NICE AS THIS. JUST GO AND ENJOY !!!

The Deacon family.

PS: If you are "stuffy" and "arrogant", then I urge you to stay away !!!

• Liked — Tudor/Alpine character -- beautiful/timeless stone work
  • Disliked — Furnishings/drapery is a little
  • Stayed January 2009
1 Thank Deek1Cleveland
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed December 27, 2008

This place is in need of a complete makeover - both the staff and the accommodations. Overall, everything is tired - peeling wallpaper, old drapes, old fixtures, etc. The front desk was indifferent to guests, the wait for food at the pub took forever one night, and then the wait for room service took forever the next night.

On our first night, after a long day of skiing, we came back to the room to find out that the heat didn't work. After three calls to the front desk over an hour and a half, I had to walk down to the front desk in my pajamas to get it taken care of. I ended up waking up my three kids and moving to two different rooms for the night. The next morning I found out from the maintenance man (the only friendly staff that I ran into!) that the heaters are controlled at the front desk and someone just forgot to flip the switch on for our room. It was pretty aggravating.

There's not a lot of options if you want to come and ski here, but I'd suggest either looking into a condo or staying at the inn with very low expectations. I guess sometimes if you know in advance that it's going to be bad, it makes it a little easier.

Oh yeah - somebody barfed in one of the hallways, and it took them forever to clean it up. My kids started calling it the "puke hallway" as in "Oh no! Hold your nose, we're about to go into the 'puke hallway'!"

On the plus side - the pool is big and nice, it's close to the slopes, and other than the barf, my kids didn't seem to notice what a dump the place was!

It's really a shame because it's a such a great setting and could probably be 100 times the destination that it is. Not sure who's running this place (or not), and why they've let it get so bad.

• Liked — Close to good family skiing
  • Disliked — Just about everything
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank boojibooji
Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 16, 2008

The overall impression of the resort is positive at first glance, but then you start to realize it’s attempting to be something it’s not. Reception needs to speed up check-in. Some people were waiting 20+ minutes to check-in. I’m guessing the lodge was built in the 70’s. This is somewhat evident in the rooms which have older bathroom fixtures and older furniture, though clean. We stayed in a “parlor suite.” Adding a microwave and a small refrigerator would have been a great amenity. A light bulb was burned out in one of the lamps in our room and though we called maintenance to replace it, they never made an appearance. Also, one of the outside windows in our room was broken. Fortunately they were double pane. There was a coffee maker in the room, but its cleanliness was questionable.

Peek’n Peak has done a nice job bringing the lobby area up-to-date. The pool and indoor playground were busy with kids. There was also a large hot tub, sauna, and very nice fitness room on-site. It’s a good place for a weekend getaway for families with young children, but there were lots of kids, sometimes without parental supervision. During various times at night it sounded like a herd of buffalo stampeding down the hallway as groups of children ran past the rooms.

There are several restaurants at the lodge, but we ate at one of the very few places in town called the French Creek Tavern…typical bar food…hindsight dictates we probably should’ve eaten at the lnn.

The mountain….had I bothered to research the vertical rise of Peek’n Peak, is not high...it might not even qualify for mountain status…hill, maybe. It’s only 400 ft! It’s a very easy mountain to ski with very short trails. Again, I refer to it as a good weekend getaway for families with young children (just learning to ski).

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Skicatt
Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 5, 2008

We had our wedding at the Peek – Don’t Do It!!!
The judge that the Peek recommended acted if he was drunk, he also complained to everyone there about his hearing problem.
The fire alarm went off for 20 minutes – no fire trucks showed – it again went off for another 6 minutes – no fire trucks showed. Peek staff response was “at least we know it works.” If it worked…where were the fire trucks?
Servers poured water over the guests and their response was “sorry, hope you don’t mind” never offered a cleaning service, or a towel.
The dinner was dry – very dry.
The bartender and wait staff was busy eating our dinners behind the bar instead of serving our guests.
Room service is not room service – you have to walk down to the diner to order your meal, and when you’re done, your dishes will sit outside your room for over 26 hours.
You can sleep, if you don’t mind a high mold odor.

Wedding will go down in history – the moldy fire alarm wedding

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything From check-in to check-out
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank tson4219
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clymer
Holiday Inn Express Findley Lake
Holiday Inn Express & Suites North East
Sheraton Erie Bayfront Hotel
Courtyard by Marriott Erie Bayfront
The Spencer Hotel and Spa
The Spencer Hotel and Spa
#3 of 6 in Chautauqua
SpringHill Suites Erie

Been to The Inn at the Peak? Share your experiences!