“Lovely B&B, would definitely return”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clinton
The Artful Lodger Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 7 Clinton B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 8, 2009

My parents grew up in Clinton, and my grandmother still lives there. Since she was moved to an assisted living facility a few years ago, and we can no longer stay with her in her house when we visit, so we now have to find other arrangements -- my mother and sister have stayed at the Artful Lodger the last few times they've come to town, and this was my first stay. We stayed for two nights (Friday and Saturday) over Labor Day weekend. The location is great, as it's right on the Village Green and there are a lot of cute shops, several restaurants, a drug store and the like all within an easily walkable distance (we also took a literal walk down memory lane all around town that started and ended at the B&B).

There were seven of us on this trip and we occupied three of the five rooms in the house -- my parents (in their early 60's) were in the Clinton room (one of the two Queen rooms on the second floor), which did offer a single pullout bed (not put to use) and a really nice view of the Village Green. My sister, brother-in-law (in their early 30's) and nephew (2 yrs old) were in the Kirkland Room (the King room upstairs), which also offered a beautiful view of the Green and had a double pullout that was perfect for my nephew. My husband and I were in the Clara Barton room (the second Queen on the second floor), which was also very pretty and we enjoyed, though it doesn't offer quite the view the aforementioned rooms do. I did get a peek into the other two rooms (the Cleveland Room and the Scollard Room) before the other guests checked in, and they're both very nice (the Cleveland has two singles, and the Scollard is a Queen on the first floor). The beds were comfortable, and there were plenty of extra linens and pillows if we'd needed them (probably far more useful during Clinton's chilly winters!), and we had enough towels and washcloths for our needs, though I'm sure they would have provided us with more if we'd requested them. They do also offer wireless access, which is a nice bonus that my husband and I put to use since we'd brought our laptop (and it's a nice, fast connection!).

The living room (a common area meant for all guests to enjoy) had a squishy couch, a comfy love seat and a padded chair, as well as a TV (the rooms do not have TV's, which we were perfectly fine with). While we never did use the TV, we actually spent quite a lot of time hanging out in the living area in the evening before bed each night, and on Saturday afternoon between activities (I can only hope that we didn't disturb the people in the Scollard room, as we were doing our best to be quiet, but the Scollard is right across the hall from the living room). The owners have no problem with guests bringing in their own alcoholic beverages, which we did, and even provided the needed amenities, including wine glasses, a wine cork, and ice. There was also a small refrigerator in the dining area that contained soda and water for the guests, as well as room for us to store things that needed to be kept cold (including a couple of bottles of wine we brought in).

The breakfasts offered were wonderful, and we took full advantage of them both mornings. From what I understand, the offerings are more continental (though still delicious) on weekdays, but on weekends Susan certainly does it up right. Each morning there was a featured entree (one day it was a wonderful egg soufflé and the other was a French toast casserole stuffed with strawberries and bananas), or your choice of a fruit parfait (which my husband loved), oatmeal, cereal, and a few other selections that I'm forgetting, as well as coffee and a choice of juices (the pomegranate was yummy!). They also keep some DELICIOUS chocolate chip cookies in the front hall for whenever you have time to grab one.

The owners, Susan and Tim, are very nice and accommodating and play excellent hosts. I'd highly recommend a stay at the Artful Lodger, whether you have a specific reason to come to town, or just want a getaway to a sweet little village in upstate New York.

I failed to get any pictures of the inside of the B&B (since I'm a photography nut, I'm not sure what I was thinking!), but there are pictures on their website that give a great idea of what it looks like, inside and out.

www.artfullodger.net

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clinton
Homewood Suites By Hilton New Hartford Utica
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Verona
Red Roof Inn Utica
Red Roof Inn Utica
#4 of 13 in Utica

Been to The Artful Lodger Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!