“Nothing Special”
Review of Giffy's Bar-B-Q - CLOSED

Giffy's Bar-B-Q
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: An All American Grill featuring Baby Back Ribs, burgers, pasta and gourmet saladsA break from the chain restaurants, where parents can enjoy a great meal and drink will kids are comfortable with kid favorites. Modern decor and menu let parents feel like they are having a night out with out the 5 star expense and bringing the whole family.
New York
“Nothing Special”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I've tried this place numerous times through the years (due to other family members liking it) and have never come around to actually wanting to go there. On its best day it's average. Too bad because the prices are reasonable and a good BBQ place is always welcome.

My complaints? Well, first of all, service is friendly but very spotty. Could take forever to get a meal or somebody gets theirs while somebody else doesn't. The bigger problem is that the food quality just isn't that good. They supposedly have won awards but I can't imagine why. BBQ is just ok, definitely nothing to write home about. The touted great chicken is fine but I wouldn't say it's special. Which leads me to one of my biggest gripes, the food here is never hot. Not once has my meal come piping hot to the table. Always on the lukewarm side...why???

Anyway, it's not all negative. Onion strings are good and the meals are definitely serviceable. However we just dont go here anymore because there always seems to be a better option available.

• Visited October 2012
Hi
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review and for coming here for so many times with your family. We have taken your review and many others in heart. We have Re-Branded into Giffy's All American Grill with a whole new decor, menu and passion. We still feature some BBQ items from our catering side, but widen into Burgers, Seafood, pasta and gourmet salads. We have refocused our 18 years of family run experience into a new fresh restaurant that I think you will be happy with.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Better BBQ in your grocers freezer.”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I visited giffys with my family craving some BBQ, we had wings, over sauced and burnt. Our entrees were the samplers so between my wife we had almost all their meets but the sausage, the only thing decent was the chicken, not award worry as they claim, but edible. The pork was a mess, soaked in sauce and geese, the ribs tasted like just fat and over sauced, even the Mac and cheese was just like paste, maybe they should just serve the box stuff. The service is solid, but they are just not working with good food, if you want BBQ in saratoga county try bbqusa it's near saratoga springs and while not exceptional atleast a decent meal.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Mkspsu
Hi
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review and for coming here. We have taken your review and many others in heart. We have Re-Branded into Giffy's All American Grill with a whole new decor, menu and passion. We still feature some BBQ items from our catering side, but widen into Burgers, Seafood, pasta and gourmet salads. We have refocused our 18 years of family run experience into a new fresh restaurant that I think you will be happy with.

Oak Park, Illinois
“Great BBQ in an unexpected place”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

BBQ varies greatly around the country and I don't think of upstate NY as BBQ central for any of the various styles out there.

However, Giffy's was a pleasant surprise. I started with the sweet cornbread with honey butter and it was delicious. Again, cornbread tends to be rather regional and it might be too sweet for some, but I thought it was excellent. The locally bottled Saranac Root Beer was also quite good.

I had the grilled chicken sandwich which was tender, juicy and without a hint of fat or gristle. The tomato-based BBQ sauce was a both sweet and spicy and very well balanced.

The only reason I did not give them five stars is that I felt it was just a little pricey.

Otherwise - a great choice!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Janet R
BGiffy, Owner at Giffy's Bar-B-Q, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you for the nice words. We have made some huge improvements to make ourself even better. Come see our new Giffy's All American Grill

Giffy's All American Grill
Giffy's Bar-B-Q Catering
c.p.
“Great Chicken!”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Excellent chicken bbq. If you don't like chicken, don't go! As a bit of a bbq lover, I found everything other than the chicken passable at best. The 2 different pasta salads tasted the same, the only difference appeared to be the type of pasta they used. The potato salad could have been purchased at any grocery store. The baked beans could have been from any commercial canned brand. As far as the bbq meats go, stay with chicken. I ordered a bbq sampler of chicken, ribs, and pulled pork. The chicken was great, the baby backs had the texture of a reheated product (nothing fresh from the smoker has the crispy texture these had), and the pulled pork was over sauced and 'pulled'. Pulled pork should be lightly sauced so the pork and smoke are the prevelant flavors. This sat in a steam table too long and had be stirred too much. There were no discernable 'chunks' of pork.
That being said, the service was good. Our server was friendly and efficient. Also, the root beer my wife ordered was top notch (I can't recall the brand).

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank cpjrod510
Rexford, New York
“OK BBQ at a reasonable price”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Giffy's does very good chicken and their ribs fall off the bone. It's a pretty typical BBQ joint with no frills. The prices are reasonable and it's a pretty easy place to take the family.

I agree with other reviewers that it's pretty average as far as most of the food goes. Wish they would kick things up a bit. Their homemade mac-n-cheese is pretty bland. Their collard greens & beans are pretty bland and I was not expecting the beans to be green beans. I also wish they offered their brisket in slices rather than just cubed on a sandwich. It's good, but would be nice to have the option.

We go every once-in-a-while mostly because it's underwhelming. It's not "bad" it's just OK and there are too many options to settle for OK.

• Visited May 2013