“I love Shalimar”

Shalimar
Ranked #17 of 144 Restaurants in Clifton Park
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I've been to Shalimar more than 30 times, so I think I can be trusted when I say that it is fantastic. Most of the times I've visited, I came specifically for the lunch or dinner buffet. They only serve buffet on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings. They have a good selection of food and everything tastes great. The tandoori chicken is very good and I highly recommend it, as well as the Tikka Masala. They have a limited staff, but service is still very good. This is primarily due to the very small eating area. There are only about 13 tables in the whole restaurant. Big parties are practically out of the question in here. Though I have seen them pull together a bunch of the small tables by the cash register to accommodate a party of 10.

I have two gripes with Shalimar, and that's the only reason they get 4 out of 5, instead of all 5. One is that they are very slow to re-stock Naan in the buffet, though that seems to be improving lately. I've been on a number of occasions where there was no naan in the buffet line nearly the entire time I was there(though I do eat and get out pretty fast). The other problem is that they 'Americanize' the food a little bit, or decrease the spice level a lot. I've ordered off the menu several times and compared the meal to the buffet version of the same and the buffet is far less spicy and often with less flavor than the entree itself, especially the Chicken Vindaloo. I love Chicken Vindaloo and was happy to see it in the buffet, but all of the spiciness has been removed and the color is even different.

Other than these minor gripes, I highly recommend Shalimar and will continue eating there frequently. Great food, great value ($9.99 for the dinner buffet) and excellent service.

2  Thank Ben H

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Definitely the best Shalimar in the area. Fast, delicious Indian fare. It's consistent and tasty every time. We especially love their lunch or dinner buffet. You can't beat the value for the variety and quality. A must go in Clifton Park!

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Shalimar has a $7.99 all you can eat lunch buffet. The menu items range from dahl and veggie kormir to rice pudding. It is easy for my partner and I to have a great vegetarian meal in less than 30 minutes if we're in a hurry, or to sit in the low-key atmosphere with the friendly owners. Has been consistently rated one of the best buffets in the area and it is clear to see why.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

My family and I always thoroughly enjoy or meals at Shalimar. On a recent visit we noticed a brighter atmosphere as they are finishing up a repainting job AND there is now a weekend dinner buffet. On our next visit, we will be able to sample items we have yet to try from their extensive menu. The fact that there is no alcohol has never been a deterrent especially as alcohol contains calories that we would rater take in though tasty and well prepared food.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

OMG. Went on a whim with an out of town Indian food-snob friend from Philly mostly because of the convenience/location. The food was EXCELLENT, sooooo outrageously good, we couldn't stop eating. lol The fact that it was an extremely reasonably-priced buffet made it that much better.

Can't wait to go back and bring my husband who thinks he hates Indian cuisine. lolol

Been to Shalimar? Share your experiences!