“overnight visit”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Clayton
West Winds Motel & Cottages
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Clayton
Kingston, Canada
“overnight visit”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We were greeted immediately upon arrival by Don, who lives on the property and said he was available any time if we needed anything. He checked us in right away to our motel unit #9 which was immaculate, clean and modern. The motel is at the top of the hill so he suggested we drive down to the water. There is a lovely new gazebo overlooking the river and we spent several hours doing just that. At dusk Don put a fire on in the firepit in front of our unit and we sat outside.
We met people who have been coming here for 17 years, every year and we could see why. It is a family owned property that caters to the guests. We would return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank harpellroad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Hopewell, New Jersey
Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband and I have been vacationing at West Winds for over 25 years. Our children have enjoyed vacationing there so much that now we are coming with our grandchildren as well. We have stayed in many of the motel rooms, several of the cabins and the caretakers cottage and have found them all to be very clean, neat and very comfortable. We are boaters and fisherman and West Winds is perfect for that. Their docking facilities are great. You don't have to worry about your boat getting battered because the docks are protected and your equipment is safe. The pool is great, as well. Our grandchildren have made many friends at the pool and camp fire. Over the years we have met many families and look forward to our yearly visits with them. Harv, Sherry and the West Winds staff are all hard workers. They take pride in their yearly improvements, additions, remodels and renovations and care about all of their guests. They do their best to make everyone's stay the best possible experience. We are looking forward to next year already. Thanks Harv and Sherry for all of the good times. Mame and Tom

1 Thank Tom W
Kingston, New York
Reviewed August 5, 2013

was surprised to see avoid room #3. My wife and I spent a week in that room two summers in a row with no problem. I have 3 herniated discs in my lower back and don't sleep well in motel beds. We found that one comfortable. Again we had a terrific stay, and are returning next July. Only down part of our stay was watching Mo blow a save to the Orioles.

2 Thank jims192
Holiday, Florida
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My wife and I have spent over 25 years boating on the St. Lawrence and lived in the village of Clayton for 2 years before moving away and selling our cruiser. We elected to visit Clayton and stay at the West Winds Motel and Cottages for a week as we have stayed at this property in the past for shorter time periods. The week long stay at the "middle" floor of the 3 story river cottage was wonderful. Great view of the river, quiet evenings, swimming at the pool and talking with other visiters around the "fire pit" at night, just contributed to our relaxing visit to Clayton and the St. Lawrence River. The "middle" floor of the river cottage is spacious, clean, well appointed, and the walk up and down the stairs gave us our daily workout. Great sunset views from the docks at the property water edge. We enjoyed the stay so much we are booking the same room for a week next year.

2 Thank charnie1
Palmyra, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife and I just returned from our sixth year of week long vacations in the cottages and have had wonderfully relaxed stays each time. Quiet, great clientele, people are friendly, clean. We enjoy the beautiful view of the river, swimming in the pool in the afternoon and the overall relaxing atmosphere. We couldn't recommend it more highly and have already reserved our cabin for next year.

1 Thank herbgo007
Woodbridge, New Jersey
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I always go to TripAdvisor before making any reservations and was shocked to see that West Winds had only Excellent and Very Good ratings ... I've never seen that before. Now that I've been there I'm even more bewildered. I think perhaps most reviews are by individuals who come back year after year and they've developed loyalty .... And haven't stayed in the caretaker's cottage. I can't speak of the motel or cottages as I didn't see them. I repeatedly see references to the property being "spotless" and that was not my experience. The "cottage" was not dirty by any means but nothing more than passably clean. We did not have the opportunity to meet the owners and maybe that would have colored my perception. The desk clerk called to find put when we'd be arriving because he wanted to go play golf and when we arrived, he was sure to let us know that he used to stay in the caretaker's cottage until "his boss rented it out from under him". And that brings us to the lack of privacy. Our "cottage" was attached to the maintenance building and there were people in and out of there all day long, on foot and with golf carts. The cleaning dept. folded the towels and sheets on our outside table which was inches from our front windows. The living room is actually a porch with windows and we would have had a nice view but my husband was uncomfortable with people on our patio constantly so he kept the blinds closed. They also took their lunch break at our table and cooked on our grill (despite there being public grills). The bathroom was hardly large enough to turn around in and has a plastic folding door. Oh, and the "kitchen" is next to the bed. A full sized bed. The grounds are beautiful and nicely maintained and there is a lovely dock and sitting area for watching the beautiful sunsets. The pool looked refreshing but I avoided the sun on this trip as we were in the middle of a heat wave and it was difficult to breathe outside. I wouldn't rule out returning to West Winds, but I would definitely not stay in the caretaker's cottage. Also, I've never stayed in this area before so maybe West Winds is the best of it's type of lodging, but I have nothing to compare it to.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the Caretaker's cottage.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
WestWinds C, Owner at West Winds Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Our caretakers cottage is a modest housekeeping unit that is very affordably priced. The inside of this unit and all of our facilities at West Winds are pictured on the westwindsmotel.com web site. We want our guests to understand what our facilities offer, prior to their stay. When a reservation is made for the caretakers cottage we try to describe exactly what this unit is, and while it is not everyones choice we have many guests that specify this unit repeatly. All of our staff at West Winds are friendly and outgoing and are anxious to make your stay enjoyable, and any issues that are brought to the attention of any of our staff are promptly addressed. Unfortunately, you did not chose this route. During the few days of your stay at West Winds, our laundry equipment required repair which increased the traffic by the caretakers cottage. But, whenever possible, we limit our activities near this unit when guests are present. You indicated that the caretakers cottage was "passably clean". That being the case, we missed our target for cleanliness for that unit on that day. Our goal is spotless!
A large percentage of our guests return to West Winds repeatly because of our beautiful location in the 1000 Islands/St Lawrence river, our facilities and our friendly staff that works tirelessly to insure that our guest have a pleasnt and enjoyable stay. Hopefully we can do better for you in the future.
upstate NY
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed one night, 7/12, here. We had been many times to this region and knew the area well. Our first time at WW between Clayton and Cape Vincent, easily found on main route. Tourist time in this area and we were pleased to get accommodations on short notice. This motel has cottages as well as rooms available at reasonable rates. Our room was clean and cool, very comfortable. While the rooms (#6) are small; fine for one overnight stay. The owners are pleasant, available 24/7,and offer a pool and a nightly fire. The place is on the river with a nice view. There is plenty of outdoor space and other guests are friendly. A great place for a quick night away.

2 Thank lavonalo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
1000 Islands Harbor Hotel
#1 of 14 in Alexandria Bay
Clipper Inn
Clipper Inn
#3 of 7 in Clayton

Been to West Winds Motel & Cottages? Share your experiences!