“High tea”

Dining options: Reservations
Lancaster
“High tea”
Reviewed August 26, 2014

The country setting is lovely. Interesting rooms to explore waiting to be seated. The Tea Room was nicely decorated as was the table set-up. Huge selection of unique flavored tea bags. Those were the highlights. The pot of water was very warm, not hot. The cream for the scones tasted like cream cheese, not heavy whipped cream. The 3 assorted crustless sandwich wedges were adequate. The sweets were adequate, with the carrot cake and cheesecake being the best of the variety. I've been for high tea at various restaurants in different States. I did not expect it to be anywhere at the level of the Ritz in London where I was first intoduced to High Tea. And, it clearly was not. The other places I've experienced High tea were all far above in quality.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank Pauline W

Grand Island, New York
“Wow Great Food and Service”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

Had lunch yesterday with my sisters and mother. The food and service was
excellent. Everything was fresh and homemade. You could tell the cook used
nothing but fresh fruits and vegetables from the cranberry cosmo I had to the turkey
breast with stuffing and gravy. Our waitress went above and beyond to make sure
we were happy. When ever she came out with our food she brought is all
and served us all at the same time. I love my experience at the Asa Ransom House
and I can't wait to go back and explore some of there other home cooked
recipes.

• Visited August 2014
East Amherst, New York
“Good Wholesome Food”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We had a weekday dinner and sat on the front porch. Seating is limited. The outdoor dining is far enough from the roadway as not to be a distraction. The food is always good and basic American fare. I ordered a special, the ribeye steak, which was good but a bit disappointing. It's difficult to get good ribeyes today, even in a restaurant. My wife's salmon was very good. The ambience and grounds surrounding the restaurant and lodging area are spectacular, which alone is worth the visit. When ordering, stick to the basic menu and you will not go wrong.

• Visited July 2014
home
“Disappointed”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Ahh... where to start. The water for the tea was warm at best, at the very least the water should be piping hot. The sugar cubes stayed hard through out entire cup. The second pot of water was the same. Ample flavor choice of teas to choose from. During our visit they were decorating outside our window for the holidays and repeatedly walked by window glancing in... odd. The cookies were adequate nothing fancy, scones fresh and warm but lacking any flavor unless you slathered on the devonshire cream and jam. Now the problem was the savory edibles. Nothing savory about them. Turkey with cranberry sauce on triangles of hard crustless bread. Most likely caused by placing in refrigerator uncovered and tasted like left overs. The tuna on soft bread as my companions stated was okay. Cucumber rounds on pumpernickle (4) were the only thing we all agreed was good. We asked for a few more and were told that would be an upcharge! But I must add she (Abby) did bring us out a few more with little to none of the cheese spread so they were dry. My table mates were here for the first and last time as guests at the Asa Ransom. Two cups of luke warm tea and four tidbits of a snack the bill was 78 dollars before tip! This being my second visit was certainly not of the calliber of my first visit. I boxed up most of the leftovers and brought home. Even the teenagers wouldn't eat so in the garbage they went. Very disappointed. The dining room empty and cold. We left our coats on throughout our visit. The rooms are very interesting to look at. Small gift shop and living room with puzzle started, x mas tree decorated and rooms for rent. Not sure what dinner would be like but won't be trying unless a new cook takes over, however the menu sounds tasty. Sorry but they need to step it up a notch. Even the service was lacking in personality.

• Visited December 2013
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, USA
“Good but not great”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We stayed at Inn so we were on the MAP. As result we ordered more high end fare and perhaps they do a better job with country style items likechicken pot pie and chicken with biscuits. I had the filet and it was just ok. No sear, minimal flavor not very thick. My appstizer was very good, a chicken taragon crepe. Desert was a tad disappointing since wewere led to believe they had good baked goods. Mine was a bread pudding. The room is nice with good view out front even though that leads to main street. Service was efficient and pleasant. Menu was varied. Food was undersesoned and a bit bland.

• Visited September 2013