“Great as always”

Dining options: Reservations
New York City, New York
“Great as always”
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We just got the chance to stop by Artie's up in the Bronx, and I'm glad to report it is still as good as ever. We started with an eggplant rollatini app which was awesome. All of those beautifully roasted eggplant wedges layered with luscious ricotta and topped with creamy mozzarella was pure bliss.

For our mains I went with a pork chop duo which came with roasted potatoes and sauteed broccoli and my chick went with the chicken parm and pasta. These guys at Artie's don't mess around. Each of the entrees probably weighed about 3 lbs at least. Massive portions! As for the quality, food was great. Though, on the downside, the pasta was a miss. The sauce was nice, but the pasta itself was overdone. They also didn't cook the two together, they just plopped the sauce right on top.

Overall though, it was a great experience, as it usually is. Friendly staff, comfortable dining room, and good pricing make it a top choice for City Island.

By the way, I should mention that Artie's has parking on the far side, but the lot was undoubtedly created by a Nazi madman, I'm sure. When it gets full, it is impossible to get out without 35 separate maneuvers, especially if you are parked right next to the building. Beware!

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank purewaves

White Plains, New York
“Have I waxed rhapsodic about Artie's?”
Reviewed February 12, 2012

It seems not, so allow me to do so. Let me preface with "we don't get here enough" and every single time we say "we have to get back here more", but we don't. With all the complaining I do about overpriced, over-hyped and underfed restaurants in Westchester, you'd think I'd remember Artie's!

Any-who, we went last night and had a wonderful time. Only one gripe, but I'll get to that later. The service was very good, maybe a teeny bit slow, but they were packed to the rafters. No matter, the server was pleasant and accommodating and recalled all our orders without writing them down, now that's good.

Drinks were very good, the Bloody Marys were deemed excellent. Appetizers were good, but mine was better than good. If you go, and you must, you have to try the creamy clam chowder. It is outstanding, and was recommended to me by a local, who also deems this the best seafood restaurant on CI, and he's right. The server even brought me sugar for my soup, can you imagine? Yes, it made it that much better. I have to remember to go back to this place.

Entrees were excellent, as usual the fish was fresh, the portions were generous, and the prices decent. Last time we went SO had surf and turf, and the filet mignon was excellent. We also had the seafood salad for two which is enough for four, and we ate the whole thing.

We didn't have room for dessert or coffee, we were that full.

Oh, my gripe. Now, as I said the place was packed, but the sound proofing in the room we were in was non-existent and we couldn't hear each other without screaming. Literally. So if you go, and you must, and I go back, and I will, remember to sit in one of the two other rooms (off the bar or the room with the booths) and not the room in the front IF the place is packed. You'll thank me.

Ooops, almost forgot. Unlike a lot of Westchester which has metered parking until all hours of the night because they are greedy, there is free parking - fuggehdabout their lot, it fills up quickly - on the residential streets.

I can't believe I hadn't told you how good Artie's is -- well, now I have, so go!

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank dee dee d
Tappan, New York
“A Pleasant Winter's Afternoon With Good Friends and Good Food”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Came to Artie's as a midpoint meeting place between Rockland and Long Island. Received a very hospitable greeting, seated promptly and relieved of coats. Waiter was prompt, got drinks and returned almost on cue. We were not hurried and the menus remained uninspected. Waiter thoughfully suggested we order appetizers. Entrees, later ordered, were nonetheless, produced promptly. Capuccino followed dinner and was exceptionally well prepared. With drinks, $95 a couple plus tip. Artie's has free off street parking but maneuvering into the spots is a bit tricky. On street parking is ample. City Island has a plethora of restaurants and cuisines. But the long established Artie's remains a standout.

1 Thank RetiredPD2007
Floral Park, New York
“Long Distance Draw”
Reviewed December 23, 2011

best Italian & sea food ever. I have family that drive 500 miles to eat there, good service,nice decor great ambience

1 Thank FancyIJ
Brooklyn, New York
“Nice place for a good sit down dinner”
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Great little spot in city island if you want to experience a nice sit down dinner with an old school feel. Food is delicious, but a little pricier then most rest on the island. The portions are quite large, and the dish of pasta that i order felt as though it was a bottomless plate... I ate and ate and my plate was still full, enough for me to eat the next day. Have been there to eat twice and both were a very good expereince. I also had a coupon from Rest.com which they honored with no problem.

• Visited June 2011