“Great Food, Nice Atmosphere, Friendly Staff”

Johnson House Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 10 Restaurants in Churchville
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Charleston, South Carolina
“Great Food, Nice Atmosphere, Friendly Staff”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We love the Johnson House. Good food and very reasonable pricing - I can't imagine
how anyone could consider the menu to be "pricey" as the previous reviewer did. The dining room is in the basement and is a bit dark with the paneled walls and low lights and the staircase is somewhat steep, if that is a concern. Parking is easy either on street or in the public lot across the street. The servers are very prompt, professional but easygoing, and accommodating to your order. The Johnson House may never win any "Best Restaurant" contests but it is always a very nice place to have dinner with good American food - steaks, chops, seafood, veal - prepared to order by very nice people. Recommend the Friday fish fry - best I have ever had. Scallops are wonderful - big sea scallops cooked perfectly. Prime rib is very good and generous. Lamb chops and veal are very good. I would say I have had steaks there that are just average. Only complaint I have ever had were the pork chops, very tough and overcooked. Unlike so many restaurants in this area, you will leave the Johnson House in great spirits and with your wallet still intact.

• Visited October 2012

Rochester, NY
“Now my favorite local (?) restaurant”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My girlfriend and her family introduced me to the Johnson House Restaurant and now after four dinners since, it has now become my favorite local restaurant even though I live about half an hour away. I love the quiet intimate bar and the personnel attention we always get from the bartender. The restaurant may be a little dated but I love the intimacy that the place gives you. The service has always been exceptional and it helps that my GF's has been there often enough that she is remembered.

But let's talk about the food. Actually I would prefer not to talk about the food because I'm afraid that too many people will learn how good it is and then it will be harder to get a table.

To give credit where credit it due the Menu is outstanding. Steaks may be the specialty but the menu is extensive and I have hopes to try everything in time. My GF and her family love to go to the Johnson House for frogs legs. How many restaurants around still offer frogs legs?

All the food is outstanding. My personal favorite is the Prime Rib which I like to have grilled before it is served. I do not know of many places that offer this. If you have not tried it at least once you are missing a treat.

I typically take my children out for their birthdays at one of the local steak houses, this year I opted to take them to the Johnson House and I told them it would become their favorite. It is now their favorite!

Hmmm now when can I go back again?

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Alain L
Rochester, New York
“Very enjoyable dinner with great ambience!”
Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Haven't been here in years, decided to go and place still the same! Dinner was fantastic! Service was OK, but overall we had a great time. It was a nice quiet dinner without the typical background roar of chatter. Only complaint was the fact that it was 95° out, and it was a little warm near the kitchen area. They brought out some quaint fans. Didn't help much, the I recommend, not going there when hot out!

Chippewa Bay, New York
“just as good as ever”
Reviewed March 15, 2012

when we lived near the johnson house, it was one of our favorite places to eat, we have moved away, but having recently visited the area, i made a point to return and was not disappointed. just as good as even, great food, friendly staff and family owned and operated for many years. the owner is on site and greets you when you arrive. check it out, you will not be disappointed either.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank stephen t
Hendersonville, North Carolina
“Excellent food.”
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Quiet, classy atmosphere. Good food, a little expensive. Service is prompt but not particularly friendly. A sure hit if you are treating someone to a nice dinner.

1 Thank Wendy B