“The Perfect Adirondack Lodge”
Review of The Fern Lodge

The Fern Lodge
Ranked #1 of 8 Chestertown B&B and Inns
Saratoga Springs, New York
“The Perfect Adirondack Lodge”
Reviewed March 6, 2009

There is no other word than AMAZING to describe this authentic Adirondack lodge. The accommodations provide comfortable, yet luxurious living. Our room was so wonderful with a Jacuzzi tube, steam shower, personal fireplace and private balcony overlooking the mountains we never wanted to leave. Would defiantly visit again and again!

Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank joslynvermont

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Warren VT
Reviewed February 24, 2009

I recently had the great pleasure of a stay at The Fern Lodge in Chestertown. I travel from time to time from VT to NYC on business and usually try to break the long drive with a stay in the Lake George region. I had known Greg and Sharon Taylor years ago from a few stays at the Friends Lake Inn, a wonderful place which they had created from a falling down old Inn. I was saddened to find that they had sold the Inn but was equally happy to hear that they had a new place just up the road. Greg and Sharon have built a truly beautiful lodge on the shore of Friends Lake. From Sharon's warm reception and wonderful breakfast, the beautifully appointed room and an evening with a great move in the lodge's theater... I could think of no better place to take my break. I look forward to many more stay's at the lodge and hope to spend some time with the Taylors this summer on Friends Lake at the Fern Lodge, a unique and beautiful place.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank sommeliersully
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed February 24, 2009

This place was wonderful - set back in the mountains on a huge lake. With 4 feet of snow on the ground it was truly a site to be seen! Sharon and Jeff were so nice and welcoming as well as their dog Shadow! The rooms were amazing with gas fireplaces, a jacuzzi and a steam shower with body sprays (my personal favorite). There are no TV's in the room but there is a home movie theater downstairs with the most comfortable chairs I've ever laid in (think MTV Cribs)! Did I mention the phenominal breakfast?! I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking to get away from the world! Definately my favorite place by far!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank angel802
Latham, NY
Reviewed February 23, 2009

Greg and Sharon are so down to earth and gracious. Our room was amazing with a shower fit for a king. We enjoyed a glass of wine by the beautiful fireplace and watched the snow fly.They recommended the Friends Lake Inn for dinner and I couldnt have been happier with their choice. We also took advantage of the theatre room and watched a movie before retiring to our room.From start to finish everything was more than I had expected.Wish I didnt have to leave.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alli312
Putnam Valley, NY
Reviewed February 17, 2009

This was our 4th visit to the Fern Lodge and each time has been as wonderful as the first time we went there for our 10th anniversary. First of all, the Lodge itself is stunning, totally fitting in the Adirondacks right on Friends Lake. The rooms are luxurious with steam showers (which my husband loved). There is also a movie room with a big screen and comfy reclining chairs. You can relax and watch a movie from the CD library or bring your own.
One of the wonderful things is that the Lodge is close to lots of places like Lake George or Lake Placid if you want to get out and about or you can just stay in and relax. You're also close to wonderful restaurants. We were particularly pleased with the dinner at the Friends Lake Inn, just a few minutes down the road. Other restaurants we loved were O.P. Fredericks (also down the road) which was more casual and towny, The Gristmill in nearby Warrensburg and Georges in Lake George.
We were also pleasantly surprised by the great shopping available. Make sure to check out Sutton's in Lake George and the little shops in North Creek.
Obviously, being in the Adirondack Park also makes available tons of outdoor activities. My husband and I love to hike and we will never run out of trails. Hiking all day makes you feel a little less guilty about having one of those wonderful dinners!!
The best part though are Sharon and Greg. They are so helpful and friendly. Whether it's giving you maps, helping you plan your day, making reservations, sharing local history or just chatting, they are what makes the difference between a wonderful place and an unforgettable place. They are a big part of what makes us come back again and again!! In fact, we loved the area so much we bought property nearby so that when we retire we can enjoy the Adirondacks full-time! I must say the only disappointing part of our trip was when we had to go home. I miss the peacefulness and the call of the loons!

• Liked — Totally luxurious inside while being surrounded by natural beauty outside
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank september9
Sullivan County, NY
Reviewed February 16, 2009

What a wonderful weekend we had at the FernLodge! The accomadations were outstanding. A warm and welcoming ambience greeted us as we walked through the front door. The lodge itself is awesome and the natural setting it's nestled in is just breathtaking. The proprietors, Sharon and Greg, were so accomadating and down to earth. They were attentive to our every need and well versed in the surrounding area, with suggestions for daily "excursions". Everything was well maintained and exceptionally clean. My husband and I stayed in the Birch Room and loved the double sided fireplace and the Jacouzzi. Our son stayed in the Cedar Room and was equally pleased. We cannot wait to go back!

• Liked — The pristine natural setting
  • Disliked — I have absolutely nothing negative to say
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
albany
Reviewed February 12, 2009

I went online to book another stay at the Fern Lodge, and was surprised to read a negative review. Our experience was wonderful there - we had a beautiful fall foliage weekend, complete with spectacular colors, evening boat rides accompanied by some unique wines, and we met other fascinating guests to boot! My husband and I did not mind an occasional child's toy in the common areas - we were just happy it was not our own children's toys! We also have large dogs at home, and were happy to be accompanied by the owners' dogs as we ventured down to the lake. (Happy, too, that we did not have to deal with the big wet dog! Sharon took care of that!)

The owners were welcoming, as you would expect at a B&B. They sat with us over a glass of wine at the fireplace, and offered us advice on what to do in the area. I also watched as guests that prefered more privacy were simply offered a bottle of wine and glasses, and sent on their way.

Our experience at the Fern Lodge was fantastic, and that is why we are now planning our next get-away weekend. This time we'll go for spring. And maybe even in the summer we'll bring the kids (but not the dogs) for a weekend. I bet they would love it too!

• Liked — warm atmosphere, dogs to greet you at arrival, real people - not plastic
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chestertown
The Alpine Lodge
#2 of 8 in Chestertown
Pine Tree Motel & Cabins
Pine Tree Motel & Cabins
#1 of 1 in Chestertown

Been to The Fern Lodge? Share your experiences!