“Loved it!!”

The Bullhouse
Ranked #4 of 18 Restaurants in Chestertown
Cuisines: Latin, American, Steakhouse, Bar, Pub
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Bullhouse has the delicious Latin American comfort food that you crave in an upscale, yet casual environment in the heart of Chestertown. Our wide range of entree choices include steaks ranging from a 22 oz. prime strip steak, to a Black Angus prime sirloin. We have seafood, soups, and salads as well. Join us for tapas and starters such as the Beef Empanadas. Pumpkin Raviolis, or Smoked Mozzarella. While you're at it, our full bar has an impressive selection of craft beers and fine wine to go along with your unforgettable meal. Looking for a quick bite in the late afternoon? Join us for happy hour every day from 5 - 6PM where you can check out our buy one, get one free special on draft beer, domestic bottles, house wines and spirits! If you're interested in a friendly competition with your friends, stop by on Thursday nights for Trivia Night. At The Bullhouse, we have a passion for quality food that encompasses far-reaching varieties of flavor that we're confident will exceed your standards of what Latin American cuisine can be. We're located in the historical Remington Building which will create a classical charm to go along with your dining experience. Whether you're a Chestertown local or someone from out of town, we're looking forward to you joining us here at the Bullhouse.
“Loved it!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

A friend said we should try it, we finally did, well worth it. My wife and I both loved it. Service was a slight issue.

• Visited August 2013

Ossining
“Needs a little adjustment”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

How about some baby lamb chops, salmon steak, swordfish, shrimp kabobs. Some more items around 18 to 22 dollars.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Michael s
Venice, Italy
“Good Eats In Chestertown!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

We recently enjoyed dinner at The Bullhouse in Chestertown. This fresh new eatery in the North Country opened in February of this year and words of praise are spreading around the area like wildfire. The Bullhouse was previously a landmark ice cream parlor and a gift shop, which have been converted into a relaxing wine bar on one side and tables & booths situated in the dining room. The spacious dining room features soft lighting, dark woods and background music that afford a tranquil dining experience. Cocktails are not available; however, The Bullhouse sells wines and beers, along with soft drinks and iced tea.

Though three chefs have passed through the kitchen since opening, the current chef presents fresh and creative recipes, all beautifully plated highlighting his/her imagination. While the menu focuses on grass fed beef cuts, seafood and other options on the menu are equally tempting.

Our Romanian waitress, Anca, provided attentive service throughout the meal and she was knowledgeable of all items on the menu, as well as the wines on the extensive wine list. The only slip-up she made was forgetting to bring steak knives for those at our table who ordered steaks. Everything else was perfect.

After taking our orders, Anca brought two large baskets of nacho chips and a hearty salsa for dipping. The chips were thick and the salsa was slightly spicy and very addicting.

For an appetizer, I had the Calamari Fritas served with a churrasco sauce. The calamari was sliced lengthwise rather than into rings. They were then breaded in panko breadcrumbs and perfectly fried to a crisp. The appetizer was served in a mini-frying basket and the dipping churrasco sauce was spicy. Others at our table ordered Peruvian style mussels; however, after the order went to the kitchen, our waitress returned regrettably reporting they were all out of mussels. We were one of the first tables dining this evening and I thought it was unusual that the Bullhouse was already out of mussels.

For my entrée, I enjoyed the Tequila Ahi Tuna; a large tequila lime infused tuna steak, perfectly seared rare and served with a jalapeno cream sauce. Sides included steamed asparagus, corn bread, coleslaw and saffron rice. Three people at our table ordered steak entrees that were unfortunately over-cooked. This was addressed with the owner who was appreciative for the feedback and reported that she would address this discrepancy with the chef.

Chocoholics will enjoy the flourless chocolate cake that was super rich with dark chocolate. There was also a Pecan crusted Tiramisu on the desert menu.

I applaud The Bullhouse for presenting some very interesting and creative dishes on their menu, to include a Smoked Paprika Chicken, a Mesquite Pork Chop and a grilled Caesar Salad. Daily specials are posted on a chalkboard and three types of steaks were on the menu, a 22 oz. Porterhouse (aged 21 days) , a 14 oz. Ribeye and a Prime Top Sirloin steak. As the evening progressed, The Bullhouse filled all tables and was very popular. The Bullhouse is open for dinner nightly from 5-9 pm and they serve brunch on Sundays. The Bullhouse is closed on Tuesdays. Based on their popularity, reservations are recommended. Everyone at our table agreed that The Bullhouse is worthy of a return visit and I recommend this restaurant to the TripAdvisor community.

• Visited August 2013
Washington DC
“Had High Hopes”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

We travel a lot of places and like to frequent non-chain establishments. We especially like to try new restaurants when they sound like they should be pretty a good. So we tried out the Bullhouse on a Friday evening. They didn't open til 5pm and we arrived maybe 5:20. We were seated pretty quickly and our server was very pleasant. We had a decent appetizer. They also give you homemade tortilla chips and salsa which are pretty good. While my pork chop was cooked perfect, and two others in our party had the pasta and haddock which were also both good, for a restaurant called the Bullhouse you would think that steaks are their specialty. You would be wrong. My girlfriend and her father both ordered the steaks. My girlfriend ordered hers medium well. And her father ordered his medium. Both came out well done. I mean severely well done. They were to the point that my girlfriend could not finish hers. Her father was starving so he ate most of his but still did not finish it. We told our server that the steaks were over cooked and the owner even came out. But e owner just merely looked at the steaks and basically agreed with us. In the end only one steak was taken off the bill, but no offer of a free meal or any compensation for getting the steaks totally wrong. That's our first and last time there. For good steaks this is definitely not the place.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank VinnyTheGreat
Albany, NY
“Lovely Restaurant, Good Steaks”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I dined at The BullHouse for the 1st time on a Sunday night in July. It was not particularly busy - at most 10 other tables being served at same time. First the good news: The new owners have taken a very old building, a former ice cream parlor deserted for some time, and transformed into a classy restaurant. There are 2 long rooms, one consisting of the bar and some high-top tables, the other the dining room. We ate in the dining room. Second, they do a great job with the steaks. I had the strip steak open sandwich, my husband had sirloin steak. Both were excellent - though my husband did have to send his 'medium' steak back to the kitchen because it was actually rare. I also really enjoyed my sweet potato puree side. They also have a good selection of beers on tap. Now the not so good news: First, the service. The waitresses were all very nice and working hard. But it did take an unacceptably long time to get water and have our order taken, considering how few other patrons there were. Second, the menu. It's weird. I didn't really want to order steak, but nothing else appealed to me. I would have preferred fish, but don't like ahi tuna and didn't particularly like the one seafood special either. Third, the side salads (we ordered) , fries, corn and corn bread (came with meal) all were just 'blah'.
Still, the BullHouse is a nice addition to the sorely lacking Chestertown dining scene. We will go back.

• Visited July 2013