“Had High Hopes”

The Bullhouse
Ranked #4 of 18 Restaurants in Chestertown
Cuisines: Latin, American, Steakhouse, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Bullhouse has the delicious Latin American comfort food that you crave in an upscale, yet casual environment in the heart of Chestertown. Our wide range of entree choices include steaks ranging from a 22 oz. prime strip steak, to a Black Angus prime sirloin. We have seafood, soups, and salads as well. Join us for tapas and starters such as the Beef Empanadas. Pumpkin Raviolis, or Smoked Mozzarella. While you're at it, our full bar has an impressive selection of craft beers and fine wine to go along with your unforgettable meal. Looking for a quick bite in the late afternoon? Join us for happy hour every day from 5 - 6PM where you can check out our buy one, get one free special on draft beer, domestic bottles, house wines and spirits! If you're interested in a friendly competition with your friends, stop by on Thursday nights for Trivia Night. At The Bullhouse, we have a passion for quality food that encompasses far-reaching varieties of flavor that we're confident will exceed your standards of what Latin American cuisine can be. We're located in the historical Remington Building which will create a classical charm to go along with your dining experience. Whether you're a Chestertown local or someone from out of town, we're looking forward to you joining us here at the Bullhouse.
Washington DC
“Had High Hopes”
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

We travel a lot of places and like to frequent non-chain establishments. We especially like to try new restaurants when they sound like they should be pretty a good. So we tried out the Bullhouse on a Friday evening. They didn't open til 5pm and we arrived maybe 5:20. We were seated pretty quickly and our server was very pleasant. We had a decent appetizer. They also give you homemade tortilla chips and salsa which are pretty good. While my pork chop was cooked perfect, and two others in our party had the pasta and haddock which were also both good, for a restaurant called the Bullhouse you would think that steaks are their specialty. You would be wrong. My girlfriend and her father both ordered the steaks. My girlfriend ordered hers medium well. And her father ordered his medium. Both came out well done. I mean severely well done. They were to the point that my girlfriend could not finish hers. Her father was starving so he ate most of his but still did not finish it. We told our server that the steaks were over cooked and the owner even came out. But e owner just merely looked at the steaks and basically agreed with us. In the end only one steak was taken off the bill, but no offer of a free meal or any compensation for getting the steaks totally wrong. That's our first and last time there. For good steaks this is definitely not the place.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank VinnyTheGreat

Albany, NY
“Lovely Restaurant, Good Steaks”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I dined at The BullHouse for the 1st time on a Sunday night in July. It was not particularly busy - at most 10 other tables being served at same time. First the good news: The new owners have taken a very old building, a former ice cream parlor deserted for some time, and transformed into a classy restaurant. There are 2 long rooms, one consisting of the bar and some high-top tables, the other the dining room. We ate in the dining room. Second, they do a great job with the steaks. I had the strip steak open sandwich, my husband had sirloin steak. Both were excellent - though my husband did have to send his 'medium' steak back to the kitchen because it was actually rare. I also really enjoyed my sweet potato puree side. They also have a good selection of beers on tap. Now the not so good news: First, the service. The waitresses were all very nice and working hard. But it did take an unacceptably long time to get water and have our order taken, considering how few other patrons there were. Second, the menu. It's weird. I didn't really want to order steak, but nothing else appealed to me. I would have preferred fish, but don't like ahi tuna and didn't particularly like the one seafood special either. Third, the side salads (we ordered) , fries, corn and corn bread (came with meal) all were just 'blah'.
Still, the BullHouse is a nice addition to the sorely lacking Chestertown dining scene. We will go back.

1 Thank NY3LG
Boonton, New Jersey
“Outrageous Prices for the Below Average Foor and Terrible Service”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

So let me start by saying both my husband and me, whose meal I will review, are the first customers to call a manager over and rave about a great waiter or a great meal. In the same way, I felt compelled to leave a review for this restaurant when we received the terrible service and below average food during our visit to The Bullhouse. We stopped into The Bullhouse on a Wednesday night during 4th of July week. I point this out because it was HARDLY a busy night. When we walked in, we were impressed with the building and woodwork inside. That is where our compliments will end. Problem #1: After getting to the hostess stand, we waited 10 minutes before a hostess showed up to take out names. Since there were plenty of open tables, we were seated quickly--of course, after waiting that 10 minutes for no reason. Next, our waitress arrived--she was frazzled and made she we were aware. To me, if as a waitress, you are stressed out because of your job, as a customer, I DON'T NEED TO KNOW. She took our drink orders on her restaurant-issued i-Pad of sorts for patrons' taking orders. It was rather apparent that she didn't know how to use this machine (we'll come back to this). We were served our drinks rather quickly, and when the waitress came back, I had questions concerning the menu (it's a weird assortment of mexican/spanish inspired steak/fish dishes--and none had explanations for the non-English words in the dish titles). Problem #2: So, she couldn't answer my questions, which is frustrating, since I wasn't too sure what would be in the food that I ordered. She also made no attempt to get someone to answer my questions, and she did not apologize for her vague answers to my questions. Frustrating. My husband and I placed our appetizer and dinner orders, and began waiting. We ordered the "Calamari Fritas: Panko crusted and drizzled with churrasco sauce." When the appetizer ordered arrived, in about 25 minutes after ordering, we were surprised to see what amounted to fish sticks--not rings of calamari as many are used to, with a sprinkling of some sauce on the tops. NO SAUCE FOR DIPPING, which makes no sense to me. Who wants to eat fish sticks with nothing to dip them in? So while the actual fish meat was well cooked, there was no taste since there was no sauce. DO NOT ORDER THESE unless you ask for a side of the sauce. What also arrived to our table at the same time as our appetizer order, was chips and salsa. We were confused when this arrived because it seemed to be a second appetizer. We were told it comes to every table. I'm assuming this was supposed to come to our table when we first sat and got our drinks, not 25 minutes later. That is Problem #3. When the appetizer arrived, my husband and I asked our waitress for another rounds of drinks. After 15 minutes of waiting for these to arrive, I flagged down our waitress who told us that the drinks "we being poured." 5 minutes later, still no drinks. We finally flagged down the hostess--our waitress was no where to be found--to explain that we had been waiting 15 minutes for drinks we ordered, and we would like to receive them. She got them ASAP, and seemed upset we had waited so long. That is Problem #4. Now, mind you, it's been about an hour since we were seated, and we still had yet to receive our food. Since we were waiting for so long, we were curious to how others' stays were going. We watched as another couple, with a very young child, seated themselves at a table. Because, like us, they waited for at least 15 minutes at the hostess' stand, and no hostess ever arrived to take their names and seat them. We also watched as this couple and child found their own child seat. They waited for at least 15 minutes before the hostess noticed they seated themselves and that they were in need of service. We also watched as the table next to us sent back an order because it was undercooked (our waitress was their server). We also watched as our waitress brought out a table's meals on a tray, put the tray down in front of its table, and then she just walked away. We watched as these patrons waited a few minutes before simply taking their food off of the tray, and serving themselves.
When our food finally arrive an hour and 20 minutes later (my husband ordered the $32 T-Bone steak, and I ordered the only chicken dish on the menu). My husband ordered the steak medium. Since we had already watched one patron send his steak back for being undercooked, we thought it best to cut his open and make sure it was right. IT WAS NOT. It WAS LIKE SUSHI. (see picture below) It was completely raw inside. So, we waited all of this time to have a $32 steak COMPLETELY undercooked. My husband was, with reason, very upset. With such a price, and already such poor service, we had nearly reached our limit. We flagged down another waitress, because, as earlier, our waitress was no where to be found. When she finally made her way over 5 minutes later, we explained that the steak was ordered medium, and we showed her the undercooked meat. SHE WAS ABSOLUTELY UNAPOLOGETIC. This was very frustrating, seeing that she was hardly the master waitress to begin with. We asked how long it would be for a new steak, considering that we already waited for an hour and 20 minutes for this one. She said she maybe could get one to us in 20 minutes. Given her attitude and lack of apology, we asked that the manager be sent over because we wanted our check. We explained to the waitress that we would not pay for the dinners, and wanted to leave. The waitress walked away in a huff, and brought over the hostess. We explained all of the problems since arriving, and then proceeding to explain the issue with the steak. We explained that we wanted the check for what we had already eaten. She was very upset and apologetic--finally someone who understood our frustration--and she said that we didn't owe anything and could leave.

WOW. I cannot tell you how disappointed we were. We visit Chestertown/Brant Lake every summer, and we frequent so many of the local restaurants. We do NOT recommend this place, WHATSOEVER. If you want a good meal, head over to "The Lakeside" in Bolton Landing, or Main St. Ice Cream Parlor down the road from The Bullhouse. Or Even Suzy Q's on Route 8 in Horicon.

DO NOT GO HERE. NOT worth ANY cent of what you would pay.

5 Thank alykooshae
New York
“Nice addition to the area”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Although the service left a little to be desired, we chalked it up to the restaurant still find their bearings. The food was very good. We will defintiely be making it a regular stop.

• Visited February 2013
Slingerlands, New York, United States
“Gotta Love great food and drinks with Family”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had the whole family up for the fourth of July and decided to go to The Bullhouse for Happy Hour before heading back to the Lake for a huge family dinner. The wine selection was extensive as well as the many brews on tap. I had the new Agave Wheat beer that was really amazing. The homemade Guacamole made tableside at the bar was a real treat as was the "sticks" of Calamari made with a special sauce that was amazing. We will be back next weekend for dinner.