“Ups the game in Chestertown”
Review of The Bullhouse

The Bullhouse
Ranked #4 of 18 Restaurants in Chestertown
Cuisines: Latin, American, Steakhouse, Bar, Pub
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Bullhouse has the delicious Latin American comfort food that you crave in an upscale, yet casual environment in the heart of Chestertown. Our wide range of entree choices include steaks ranging from a 22 oz. prime strip steak, to a Black Angus prime sirloin. We have seafood, soups, and salads as well. Join us for tapas and starters such as the Beef Empanadas. Pumpkin Raviolis, or Smoked Mozzarella. While you're at it, our full bar has an impressive selection of craft beers and fine wine to go along with your unforgettable meal. Looking for a quick bite in the late afternoon? Join us for happy hour every day from 5 - 6PM where you can check out our buy one, get one free special on draft beer, domestic bottles, house wines and spirits! If you're interested in a friendly competition with your friends, stop by on Thursday nights for Trivia Night. At The Bullhouse, we have a passion for quality food that encompasses far-reaching varieties of flavor that we're confident will exceed your standards of what Latin American cuisine can be. We're located in the historical Remington Building which will create a classical charm to go along with your dining experience. Whether you're a Chestertown local or someone from out of town, we're looking forward to you joining us here at the Bullhouse.
Danbury, Connecticut
“Ups the game in Chestertown”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Great food and attentive staff. Food was well prepared and well presented. Our waitress was friendly and informative re the menu choices. I have seen the reviews that mention slow service but this certainly wasn't our experience, although we were at the early end of the evening and it wasn't too crowded. For starters I recommend the tableside Guacamole. As indicated, prepared right at your table and is excellent. The home made Mexican chips it is served with are fantastic. Main choices were heavily weighted toward steak but what do you expect at a steak house. My wife is not a big steak person and she would have preferred a fish choice such as salmon. She didn't get a lot of sympathy from me as there have been a number of seafood places I have been to with her that, for a non fish lover such as myself, the only non piscine choice was something elegant like chicken nuggets! :) To be fair the non steak choices seemed OK to me but I would just say my wife didn't find the choices inspiring. Menu flavors tend to find their inspiration south of the border but the waitress was perfectly OK with dumbing down the heat for my low threshold. Wine list is well developed and balanced and the prices are fair. There were some interesting selections including some more obscure choices. I pushed the boat out with an Argentinian Rose (it was a hot day and I was as dry as a tin god) and it proved a good choice. It the others wines are as good they are in good shape A wide beer menu too, but I am not expert enough in that field to comment. So based on my 1st visit I would say it is well worth a visit. It certainly ups the anti in terms of dinning experience in the area and is well worth a special trip of you are in the Lake George area. In short, very impressed.

• Visited June 2013

“Pull over to the bull house!”
Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Worth the trip. Great food - not massive choice but good enough selection to make you think! the guacamole was superb - made in front of us! Service was excellent not rushed. Allowed us to sit and chat without pressure to finish ( even though last ones there). Good wine choice and beers on tap. Owner came to see us- very friendly. Will back next time we are in town

Visited June 2013
Clifton Park, New York
“Excellent food, but can be slow.”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I went here for the first time with my family, given I have been coming to Friends Lake since I was a child and we all wanted to see what this new place was like. Overall, the food and service was very good. The problem was because we had gotten there after 8p.m., they were out of one of the specials and an appetizer. We had to wait a little while for our entrees too. Would I go back again? Yes. The food was excellent and our waitress was trying very hard, so I couldn't complain, but if you like to eat on the late side like us, be prepared for them to be out of stuff.

Chestertown, New York
“Not Worth the Long Wait and Rude Service”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We went for Sunday Brunch on Mother's Day. It was not a full house, there were 7 tables with about half seating 2 and half seating 4. We waited 45 minutes for omelets that only came after we said if the food didn't arrive in the next 10 minutes we would have to leave because we had Mother's Day plans with our adult children. Most of the tables we observed waited even longer than we did and there were many complaints.

The waitress literally threw the silverware on our table, remarked that the spoons didn't match (my husband got a teaspoon for his coffee, I got a tablespoon) and then shrugged and said it didn't matter and left without changing the spoon. Not that I cared about the spoon, but that should have been a hint about her attitude. I ordered dry toast with butter on the side with my omelet. After our 45 minute wait I didn't catch the waitress quickly enough when she finally dropped the food off and ran, and there was no butter. When I finally caught her eye, I asked for my missing butter so I could eat my toast. She came back with warm foil packs of butter literally squeezed in her hand and tossed them on the table as she walked past. I opened one and it was squished and had been out of refrigeration probably all day.

Again I caught her and asked if they had some refrigerated butter, and she said no, that they took it out in the morning so it would be easy for the customers to spread. She again disappeared. I decided I wasn't going to put liquified butter on my toast because it was disgusting, and quite frankly after waiting this long I wanted appetizing food, so I again asked for cold butter. This time she got nasty and demanded to know if I "really wanted her to go downstairs to the basement" just to get cold butter. Ah, so there WAS refrigerated butter after all, which she should have just gotten for me the first time I asked for it. I said yes, I DID want her to do that. She told me I would have to wait for her to get around to it. By this point we had already waited so long, it didn't matter any more. Eventually the cold butter showed up.

Before you feel bad for the waitress, keep in mind there were 2 of them, each had 3-4 small tables. After they took orders, there was a 45-60+ minute wait before the food was ready and they were needed again to deliver it. In between times, they refilled water and coffee and stood around in the kitchen eating, which, BTW only had one poor chef trying to keep up. That's a LOT of downtime in which to get cold butter if asked. It's not like they were slammed.

The owner, meanwhile, had her own children visiting (closing was 3PM so she could have gone home to her kids shortly) and did go to a few tables (not ours) to apologize for the slow service and admit they needed to "analyze" their kitchen procedures, but she never put on an apron, rolled up her sleeves, and helped her lone chef get the orders out. This place has been open for several months, more than enough time to iron out the kinks. The chef needs help, the waitress needs to be taught about customer service, and the owner needs to get her act together, be professional and concentrate on business while at work and family while at home. If things don't improve, I give it 6 months.

5 Thank Anonymous537
valekthekidd, Owner at The Bullhouse, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
While I value everyone's opinion, please keep in mind that this review has melded fact and fiction. It is our very purpose to provide quality food with friendly attentive service. Any issues that were factual, were addressed and resolved.
North Westchester, Connecticut
“Excellent place to chill with good food in the ADKs”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We've had a place on Brant Lake for 2 generations and the only drawback to the area is a lack of good dining choices, which is perfectly understood. The Bullhouse is a remarkable addition to the local community. Its housed in the old Ice Cream parlor in Chestertown, for those who remember. One side is a long bar area with high tables, perfect for gathering after a day of skiing, fishing, hiking, biking. The other side is a clean looking dining room, with the original flooring still intact. The decor is neat, inviting. We hope they add a bit more to the walls to create the atmosphere the name implies.

Food: we were presented with a nice platter of homemade tortilla chips and tasty salsa in a clever wire basket display. Our appetite was on the lighter side, so we do need to try again ( which we surely will) and this first visit was smaller plates. The chili was very good, an open face steak sandwich superb, and two of us had the cleverly served salad with sliced steak, which flowed from a conicopia shaped tortilla shell. Nice touch. The avocade vinagrette was very good, not your common dressing. The steak was more than adequate, cooked as requested, sliced and served just right.

The salad could use a bit more imagination by way of adding some olives, nuts, crazins or some other interesting ingredients....but it was good just the same.

I thought there might be a fish taco platter or some kind of quesadilla dish, but neither showed on the dinner menu...would be a good addition to the bar/grille theme.

We split a bottle of Montepulicano, priced competitively.

We did not have dessert this time, but the choices sound delicious.

Service was very good, prompt but not pushy, friendly and informed.

We wish the Bullhouse much success. Locals, summer residents, passerby need to all try this new eatery. Its a beautiful renovation and with a few tweaks, could be a go to place from miles around.

ps...did we mention Bocce courts outside? When they get their outside license to serve, this could be a big hit!