“Authentic Western trail rides in the Adirondacks”
Review of Circle B Ranch

Circle B Ranch
Saratoga Springs, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Authentic Western trail rides in the Adirondacks”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My visits to the Circle B have always been worth the 40-mile drive from Saratoga Springs. On my first trail ride the leader asked the group if we wanted to trot. Everyone did, so we trotted a bit, and I was hooked. Since then I have been on solo and group rides in all kinds of weather, including a beautiful snowy ride with a friend last winter. Trail leaders are cowboys (and at least one "cowgirl") and may or may not be chatty, but they are there to keep riders and horses safe, and they do that very well. Chris Boggia, the owner, has a lot on his plate running this ranch, so I really appreciate how well he and his staff care for the horses and the trails. The pre-ride video he asks everyone to watch has some very good tips designed to keep riders safe out on the trail, and he does a great job of matching riders with horses, depending on size and skill level. Horseback riding comes with some risk, so I always wear a helmet, and Chris has some available if you don't have your own. I was with a small group one day when a woman fell off her horse. Andy, the trail leader, made sure everyone else stayed on their horses (for safety reasons) so that he could attend to the woman who fell. She wasn't hurt, just embarrassed, and Andy helped her get back on, then called Chris who met us back at the barn. Wear study shoes (Chris also has some extra boots available), pay attention to the video, trust that the horses and trails are in good shape, and enjoy the ride. Hope to see you there! P.S. If you don't make it up to the Circle B this summer, plan on a sleigh ride next winter.

Visited May 2013

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The horses and guide were very nice but...”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

When we got there no one was present even with a reservation. After 30 mns we managed to get the guide to come. He was very nice. We watched the video about safety and riding horses which was very helpful. The owner on the video seem very nice but in person he was very unwelcoming and we felt more like we were a burden. He barely spoke to us. We felt so bad for the guide we tip him $20 on top of the $46 per person they charged us. No one apologized to us for waiting. he didn't even shake our hands or greet us in anyway!
The owner might be very knowledgable but he seriously needs to sharpen his people skills. I will never go back!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank lyne98
Kayla M, Front Office Manager at Circle B Ranch, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
I would like to apologize for your experience at our ranch, I would also like to note that we received a last minute call for you reservation during the week in which we are not yet open, so we made a exception for you to come an enjoy a ride at our ranch. So with that being said in order for us to take you on a ride we had to go out to our pasture and get horses for your ride, because we were not open we didn't have any horses available after getting the horses they needed to be properly groomed prior to being saddled. So that would explain why there was not anyone at the desk to greet you when you made it to the ranch, once again we are not open yet during the week days so their was only one wrangler available and the owner was very busy with other tasks, it is our haying season so Chris (owner) is extremely busy getting things done before we are up an running 7 days a week. I would also like to note that our rides are $44 for a 1 hour private ride not $46. Once again I am truly sorry for you experience and hope that you understand that we ALWAYS do our best to ensure everyone has a great time when coming to our ranch, If you could please give us a call so we can get your information so that we can accommodate you with a free trail ride .

Thanks So Much
Kayla
Albany, New York, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great trail ride, well managed ranch”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We were given a great orientation to understand the horses, and the ins and outs of horseback riding.The place is well managed, and safety is considered. I was pleased to find the animals extremely well cared fo. The ranch owner is a horse expert and a great teacher. Our guide was friendly & helpful we had a beautiful spring ride through a forest with beautiful mountain views. Will definitely return again and highly reccomend to others. Don't forget to bring cash to tip your guide, they deserve it !

Visited March 2013
Elizabethtown, New York
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“We took a horse drawn sleigh ride and it was great!”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

My wife purchased a Groupon deal for the horse drawn sleigh ride and gave that to me for a Christmas present for both of us. We took that ride yesterday and really enjoyed it. We were given the ride from the owner, Chris. He seemed friendly to us and had a real gentle, soft spoken way about him. I believe that safety and respect are the main concerns at this ranch. I have read the other reviews and think that some have gone here looking for that warm, snuggly feeling from a bunch of men that deal with horses all day so that's probably not going to happen. I could see these guys being strict with kids and the rules, so go there knowing that and you'll be fine. We felt the scenery was very nice with trails, open fields and views of the High Peaks of the Adirondack Mountains.

I asked Chris if he is aware of any reviews of his business on tripadvisor and he said that he is not aware. I explained to him that it has become kind of a big deal to folks that travel and do activities. Chris didn't seem that concerned about it so if he hasn't gone on here to defend the negative reviews, it's probably because he doesn't go on the web much and too busy being a cowboy.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank AdirondackGypsy
Greenfield Center, New York
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“After fall off horse no care was shown”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Our ride started off great. I was on a horse that had 3 names apparently because they said he goes to other places and they had just got him. They called him Jasper I believe. The ride was going pretty good except my horse kept stumbling and trying to veer off into the trees and wanting to pass other horses etc. We trotted twice and I had no problems. Jasper tried to take me off under a few tree limbs etc.. He was huffing a lot during the ride and seemed uncomfortable. On the third time we trotted he tried passing again by going into the trees and I went to slow him down and bring him back in line and I don't know if he spooked or tripped but next thing I know I was flying off sideways and landed quite hard. I have had several riding lessons and have leased a horse before so I have had some experience with riding. I have ridden trail horses numerous times before and never had this kind of problem. I am a heavier rider but that shouldn't of made a difference. Jasper was a large horse. Chris, the guide and the owner also I believe came back and told me I had to get back on and I could not walk out despite the pain I was in. I attempted to mount from the ground and could not due to my shortness and the horse being quite tall. I am also heavy and have hip problems. It hurt so much to try mounting, my legs began shaking violently and I was gasping in pain. Chris got on his cell and was contacting the barn but I tried again and on the third try was able to remount. Chris seemed very uncaring about my fall and did not ask me again how I was or apologize in any way.. I realize it is not entirely his fault I was thrown off because horse riding has a risk involved but his lack of concern or empathy really upset me. I e-mailed him and tried to explain how the horse was acting but never got a response. I would said ride at your own risk, you do have to sign a waiver anyhow but don't expect anything more than just a trail ride. Cameras are also not allowed on the ride.

Visited October 2012