“Supremely relaxing”
Review of Friends Lake Inn

Friends Lake Inn
Ranked #2 of 8 Chestertown B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Mid-winters visit was fantastic. The inn keeper was very accommodating. The room was excellent (updated and clean, spacious) and very relaxing. Staff made us feel right at home. Food also, dinner was really like nothing I've ever tasted, very enjoyable. The trails are a nice bonus for outdoor activity. I feel like sometimes you go places and you get what they are serving, what they want the experience to be for you. Here, I liked how everyone would talk to you to help you find the exact right food, drink, or skiing activity. Can't put a price on that. Definitely recommend!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Spent a late February weekend at the Friends Lake Inn with extended family. The place is nothing short of spectacular. You can see room photos on the web so I won't describe them other than that they were very clean and comfortable, and as nice as they appear in pictures. The food was phenomenal. Between the members of our party we were able to enjoy a large sampling of the menu items and each was of the highest quality and flavor. The table service was attentive but relaxed enough to enable conversation and thorough enjoyment of every aspect of the meals. We also enjoyed several of the other amenities such as the sauna after a jaunt snowshoeing on the beautifully groomed trails. All of the above aside the absolute best aspect of the Friends Lake Inn was the staff. They truly lived up to the name of the inn with their gracious, friendly, and happy delivery of every service. Every member of the staff should be commended for the wonderful experience they provide guests. I want to come back in summer and fall to enjoy some more Adirondack hospitality.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank TateTheMate
Reviewed February 28, 2014

I (we) surprised my wife for her 40th birthday by bringing in her two sisters and family for a weekend at the friends Lake Inn. I was concerned that the staff might blow my cover and accidentally reveal my plan as they give all their guests a personal welcome letter with all the dinner reservations and itinerary for the weekend, but they kept everything under a lid and the surprise went off perfect.

The inn keepers were very pleasant, second only to the other guests who all seemed to be enjoying a perfect winter weekend in the Adirondacks. We were traveling with our 7 month old child, which we were a little nervous about, but everyone including once again e the guests made him out to be a prince. Each meal was prepared to perfection, and the knowledgable staff was there at every step of service. I was very impressed by the wine list and could not resist ordering a few bottles from the 70's as you rarely see these from day to day.

If I could suggest any improvements it would only be that more people realize what a gem this place is and that while you are there, time seems to pass a little bit slower than it does in our everyday lives.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank 271GMP2012
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Thank you for one of the most memorable weekends anyone could ask for! The views, hospitality and food were excellent and allowed for a very relaxing and magical time. My husband and I came here for a weekend getaway and immediately fell in love with the place. We enjoyed a sleigh ride, an in-room couples massage and cross country skiing. This is a perfect place to go when you are truly looking for that quality couple time together, without having to spend time leaving the premises...that was a deciding factor when choosing to visit Friends Lake Inn. The food was beyond excellent as well as the courtesy and genuine kindness of the staff. The ambiance is both upscale yet homey and very welcoming. We did not want to leave! Friends Lake Inn is truly a gem and we cannot wait to come back!!!

2  Thank KristenMac2014
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Friends Lake Inn is a very special place for us, having gotten engaged there in October 2003...we have been back several times in the past ten years and each time it seems like they add little touches to really make it a wonderful experience for their guests. This time we took advantage of a holiday weekend and booked a one night get-a-way using their midweek special.
We booked room #3, wonderful with an in-room jacuzzi, large poster bed, view of the lake and a separate sitting room and two balconys. The sitting room featured a keurig, a nice touch.
From the moment we checked in (even before actually) to when we left we were treated as special and a "can I help you" atmosphere by all their staff. Melissa at the front desk arranged for in-room massage for my husband and myself --this was a special treat (and affordable).

The food and wine selections are fabulous and dinner by the fireplace in their beautiful dining room was lovely. We keep kosher and had no problem with several fish and vegetarian entrees to choose from. I was too full for my desert so our served packed it to go. Our breakfast the next morning was bountiful, with a buffet as well as hot items made to order. I love the selection of fresh juices.

We always enjoy a few games of pool. We also took a walk to the lake (frozen but picturesque) and a wonderful one hour (plus) hike in the trails behind the inn. My husband doesnt snowshoe or x-country skii, so we just enjoyed a serene hike. We will not hesitate to go back or recommend to our friends. In fact, we are considering getting a goup of friend to come up together, or maybe splurge for New years eve.

Room Tip: We love both the traditional and Adirondack rooms
3  Thank bluesmama11
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My wife and I spent a special time at Friends lake a couple years ago and returned this year for another special time. We spent the night Saturday, January 18th, went moonlight snowshoeing and had a wonderful dinner. The following day we went on the best ride we have had in a long time. Friends Lake Inn works with a local guy to offer a helicopter ride around the area. What a ride! We went over the mountain eastward due to snow squalls north and then we went across Lake George, up the east side over Top Of The World, passed the Sagamore, over Loon Lake and back to the Inn. Thanks so much to Trudy and John and all your wonderful staff for making this special time so special. Our special time? We've been together 41 years and coming on 38 yeas married this June.

Room Tip: The third floor is much warmer than the second. If you like cooler sleeping quarters, look over the...
1  Thank Daniel M
Reviewed January 17, 2014

We spent last weekend here with friends of ours and had a great time (again). The weather was not very nice and the roads were very icy. We spent all of Saturday reading, talking, laying around and totally relaxing. Being with friends at Friends Lake Inn is special enough, but the service, kindness and pampering by the hosts and the entire staff, goes well beyond what can be expected. Dinner on Friday was delayed as our friends were late in arriving, the wait staff and kitchen stayed open late and provided a great meal with not the least bit of trying to rush us.
If you are into good wine, great food and a relaxing weekend I can think of no other place in this area that can deliver more.
We have decided with our friends to make this our annual get away together. We just wished we lived closer to do it more often.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank KenLCt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chestertown
The Alpine Lodge
#1 of 1 in Chestertown
The Sagamore Resort
The Sagamore Resort
#1 of 8 in Bolton Landing

Been to Friends Lake Inn? Share your experiences!