“Good city escape”
Review of Friends Lake Inn

Friends Lake Inn
Ranked #2 of 8 Chestertown B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at friends lake inn for 3 nights. A cute quaint inn. Service is great but I do think its a bit expensive for what it is and offers. The rooms are clean and quaint. The staff is helpful and proper. The Inn is located close to a lake and you can do activities there. You can also go hiking near by. Overall a great experience but I do think its very expensive for what it is.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank niyalish
There are newer reviews for Friends Lake Inn

Reviewed August 25, 2013

What a great spot! A quiet luxury Inn with great staff, great dining and all the amenities to enjoy some time away.
The rooms are nicely appointed, the staff very friendly and helpful, the restaurant is excellent and the wine list is the most extensive we have ever seen.
Although not on the water, it is an easy walk down to a beautiful lake. The grounds are well maintained with gardens, a pool, and walking trails.
We will certainly make the effort to return.
If you are in this area and want a great place to stay for a few days- this is it!
Ian and Marg Torrance

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Ian T
Reviewed August 23, 2013

You don't have to stay at the Friends Lake Inn to take advantage of their amazing food and dining room.

My wife and I joined our friends for a special dinner while we were in the Lake George area. We were referred here by a semi-local who told us the food is amazing. Boy, was he right. I started my dinner with a double order of foie gras which was by far the best foie gras I have ever experienced. My main dish was steak which was cooked to perfection and presented beautifully. The others in the party chose different items and I can't remember ( i shouldn't have waited so long to review) what they had, but they were all as impressed with their food as I was with mine. We all finished off with Bananas Foster, espresso and coffee.

The service was impeccable and all of the staff were polite and pleasant. Our server was extremely well-informed on what each dish was and left nobody unsure of what they were ordering.

Friends Lake Inn will be the place we visit for our special dinners from now on when we are within fifty miles. It is well worth going out of the way to experience the dining here.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank MtVernonMan
Reviewed August 21, 2013

What a wonderful experience we enjoyed at Friends Lake Inn in Chestertown. A beautiful resort on a quiet, peaceful lake not far from Lake George - but so much more enjoyable. It was like having your own private lake. The inn provided canoes, life vests and paddles and we just took them to the lake and enjoyed a late morning expedition. The rooms at the inn were beautiful and comfortably appointed. The towels were lush and comfortable robes were provided - always a welcome amenity. Turn down service with chocolates and freshly baked chocolate chip cookies delivered to your room during the day really help to make this an exceptional experience A wonderful breakfast and scrumptious dinner was included in the room rate. The food was fantastic and the service was impeccable. I would highly recommend that you consider Friends Lake Inn for a relaxing and luxurious "rustic" experience in the mountains. I'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: 3 rd floor gives you a beautiful view of the lake.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kevin R
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My family had dinner at this inn on August 13th. The service was spectacular on a very busy night. From the moment I made our reservation to the moment we left, we were treated as if we had stayed at the inn many times. First, I called to say we would be late--no problem. Then I called to say I was lost; again no problem.

Our three and seven year old girls were also accommodated. At our request, all food was brought to the table at the same time to speed things up. Kim, our waitress was especially helpful. The food and wine were top notch. I had a delicious cheese platter with a homemade chutney, followed by a great wild boar chop. My wife had an excellent tuna tartar and couscous soup.

The grounds and interior are beautiful. Especially nice is the pool room in the basement and the in house wine shop.

My wife and I cannot wait to return by ourselves.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank akazin
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I reserved a spot here for our 20th anniversary dinner. We got there early to sit at the bar and chat. The wine selection is amazing and the staff were so friendly! They sat us when we were ready. The menu is not large but it is excellent. We had appetizers of local and international cheeses and a scallop crepe. even the salads were great. My husband had duck and I had the salmon. I only wish we had skipped the appetizer and gone right to dessert because the dessert menu was awesome but we were too stuffed to try anything. The inn is not on a lake, which is a little disappointing, and the dining room is rather dark. I could not figure out the clientele...i guess they are the normal bolton landing / sagamore / saratoga crowd. But definitely I would recommend this restaurant to anyone. When we told our relatives who live in the area where we went for dinner they all said the friends inn restaurant has the best reputation in the area and I believe it.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CRQT
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the inn. Had great meals,service was excellent. Staff very friendly and helpful. Enjoyed a wine tasting dinner on Friday night. It was an extra special treat. ,I would recommend it to my friends and family.
Prices a little high, but I would still return.
A nice getaway from the hectic city life.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the lake .
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mel1953
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chestertown
The Alpine Lodge
#1 of 1 in Chestertown
The Sagamore Resort
The Sagamore Resort
#2 of 8 in Bolton Landing

Been to Friends Lake Inn? Share your experiences!