“A Wonderful Dinner”

Ranked #2 of 8 Chestertown B&B and Inns
Alexandria, VA
“A Wonderful Dinner”
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

You don't have to stay at the Friends Lake Inn to take advantage of their amazing food and dining room.

My wife and I joined our friends for a special dinner while we were in the Lake George area. We were referred here by a semi-local who told us the food is amazing. Boy, was he right. I started my dinner with a double order of foie gras which was by far the best foie gras I have ever experienced. My main dish was steak which was cooked to perfection and presented beautifully. The others in the party chose different items and I can't remember ( i shouldn't have waited so long to review) what they had, but they were all as impressed with their food as I was with mine. We all finished off with Bananas Foster, espresso and coffee.

The service was impeccable and all of the staff were polite and pleasant. Our server was extremely well-informed on what each dish was and left nobody unsure of what they were ordering.

Friends Lake Inn will be the place we visit for our special dinners from now on when we are within fifty miles. It is well worth going out of the way to experience the dining here.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank MtVernonMan

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Long Beach, New York, United States
Reviewed August 21, 2013

What a wonderful experience we enjoyed at Friends Lake Inn in Chestertown. A beautiful resort on a quiet, peaceful lake not far from Lake George - but so much more enjoyable. It was like having your own private lake. The inn provided canoes, life vests and paddles and we just took them to the lake and enjoyed a late morning expedition. The rooms at the inn were beautiful and comfortably appointed. The towels were lush and comfortable robes were provided - always a welcome amenity. Turn down service with chocolates and freshly baked chocolate chip cookies delivered to your room during the day really help to make this an exceptional experience A wonderful breakfast and scrumptious dinner was included in the room rate. The food was fantastic and the service was impeccable. I would highly recommend that you consider Friends Lake Inn for a relaxing and luxurious "rustic" experience in the mountains. I'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: 3 rd floor gives you a beautiful view of the lake.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kevin R
ny,ny
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My family had dinner at this inn on August 13th. The service was spectacular on a very busy night. From the moment I made our reservation to the moment we left, we were treated as if we had stayed at the inn many times. First, I called to say we would be late--no problem. Then I called to say I was lost; again no problem.

Our three and seven year old girls were also accommodated. At our request, all food was brought to the table at the same time to speed things up. Kim, our waitress was especially helpful. The food and wine were top notch. I had a delicious cheese platter with a homemade chutney, followed by a great wild boar chop. My wife had an excellent tuna tartar and couscous soup.

The grounds and interior are beautiful. Especially nice is the pool room in the basement and the in house wine shop.

My wife and I cannot wait to return by ourselves.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank akazin
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I reserved a spot here for our 20th anniversary dinner. We got there early to sit at the bar and chat. The wine selection is amazing and the staff were so friendly! They sat us when we were ready. The menu is not large but it is excellent. We had appetizers of local and international cheeses and a scallop crepe. even the salads were great. My husband had duck and I had the salmon. I only wish we had skipped the appetizer and gone right to dessert because the dessert menu was awesome but we were too stuffed to try anything. The inn is not on a lake, which is a little disappointing, and the dining room is rather dark. I could not figure out the clientele...i guess they are the normal bolton landing / sagamore / saratoga crowd. But definitely I would recommend this restaurant to anyone. When we told our relatives who live in the area where we went for dinner they all said the friends inn restaurant has the best reputation in the area and I believe it.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CRQT
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the inn. Had great meals,service was excellent. Staff very friendly and helpful. Enjoyed a wine tasting dinner on Friday night. It was an extra special treat. ,I would recommend it to my friends and family.
Prices a little high, but I would still return.
A nice getaway from the hectic city life.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the lake .
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mel1953
New York
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Quaint property, great staff, good food. Have stayed many times and enjoyed every trip. The wine list is good, as well. Breakfast is atreat and the dinner menu offers some great choices. The bar (and bar menu) have great options as well. Good hiking trails nearby. Only wish is that it had better water access to the lake.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank davemclewis
Ballston Lake, New York, United States
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We have been guest at the inn 8-10 times a year for the past 4 years, the food, the staff and rooms are wonderful. As a foodie, chef matt and chef scott execute the menu without fail. We have enjoyed many wine diners and weekend getaways and have never been disappointed . Love spending time at the inn!! What a great spot!!

Room Tip: So close to Saratoga, Lake George, ski resorts it's so worth going any time of the year!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brian F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chestertown
The Alpine Lodge
#1 of 8 in Chestertown
Pine Tree Motel & Cabins
Pine Tree Motel & Cabins
#1 of 1 in Chestertown

Been to Friends Lake Inn? Share your experiences!